Swap?

What is the practical use in having a swap partition/file?

I have 8GB RAM, does swap still help me?

Other urls found in this thread:

haydenjames.io/linux-performance-almost-always-add-swap-space/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>>>/sqg/

There's none it's complete shit. If you for some reason ever exceed your maximum RAM then just reboot your computer.

I felt like it was some meme

Well, not when it was originally done, when RAM sizes were much smaller

it's important
haydenjames.io/linux-performance-almost-always-add-swap-space/

No fuck that shit I'd rather just have Linux kill the offending program over spending 30 minutes just to manually close it

Are you letting the OS decide for you?

Swap is fine when you don't need to access something right away, that is resident on disk.

I think it should automatically swap even when it doesn't use app, and having some kind of hybernated applicaiton thing, which doesn't load itself but load ram image... inb4 gtfo, yes I'm mentally ill.

Best is when you are fucking readwriting database like 1/1 IO one line... The head moves every freaking time, making minutes a years.

>tfw giving a processes threads and memory over a block switch GUI manually

Memebrowser lack integration.

mainly so overcommit doesn't put your system into some weird position.

No, I'm letting the kernel decide for me

I find it funny that some people be like "oh well you have 16GB of RAM? Then maybe you need 32GB of SWAP" like why not fucking have a secondary hard drive for swap while at it

this was back when the general recommendation was to have 2:1 swap:ram ratio

You basically never need to have more swap space than you have physical RAM these days. Most people probably don't even need more than 1GB of swap desu. Swap is still useful because when applications are initializing they do a lot of memory operations but then after everything is initialized a lot of that stuff isn't touched again but it does occupy RAM unless its committed to disk. If you allow it to the OS can commit those things to disk and free up RAM for other applications to use.

> run server with SSD
> Need more RAM
> Muh uptime
> make large swap file and destroy hosts hw
> !???

>destroy hosts hw
meme

So you can suspend to disk, which is safer than suspend to RAM if you're using disk encryption.

Cheers lads