There are people on Sup Forums right now that don't have any clue what pic related is

>there are people on Sup Forums right now that don't have any clue what pic related is

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/849079/what-is-the-little-twist-in-this-floppy-ribbon-cable-for
asrock.com/mb/via/775dual-vsta/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Who cares

so? you missing IDE so much?

>there are people that still use IDE and floppy

It was trash and I still hate MSI for having half the ports of the P35 platinum with IDE shit.
I also have a dvd burner in my wardrobe who has that stupid port.

>not knowing what a RAM cable is
you'd have to be a real underage

I was going crazy a few months ago so I started saving a shit ton of data in old floppy disks.

Lucky me I didn't found a zippy, because shit could have been worse.

>There are people this old on a turkmenistan rug sewing website

It's a ribbon cable with an IDC connector

They are shit, although a month ago I had to use the 80 wire version plus a IDE to sata converter for modding my original xbox with a 2TB firecuda SSHD

printer cable?

Only 90s kids will get this!

What is IDE cable for your hard drive or DVD drive?

I'll take autism for 500.

The sooner we forget about them the better.

>really twists my lanes

>Kinky as fuck info tape

>not wearing it as a belt

it's a USB line ...I'll show you later

I know they exist and I know what to do with them, but I've never had to deal with one.

t. 19

I learned about BDSM because of these

Why did these even exist?

>there are people on Sup Forums right now that don't have any clue what pic related is

I don't understand why Intel decided to do AIBs for those.

It's a PATA cable... right?

IS THAT A BELT?

Used to be just ATA. Or IDE. Once SATA (serial ATA) came out, it was renamed to PATA (parallel ATA).

Mom and Grandma still use them.

slot processors were a mistake. Especially the retarded way they dealt with L3 cache.

This is why the Celeron 333Mhz with 128KB on die cache was fucking faster and could overclock better than a P3 450Mhz

in my days we used to call them, "ribbons"

That's a memory cable for attaching memory to the CPU

I've still got a working samsung IDE hard drive from 2001, 80GB.

superuser.com/questions/849079/what-is-the-little-twist-in-this-floppy-ribbon-cable-for

Simple when it's explained

you can still buy new IDE ATA133 SSD's for older machines

Idiots

Finally someone that knows.

My Slot 1 Pentium was passive and didn't need no fan to cool it.

Noone cares what you used to connect a mouse to your mainframe, grandpa.

how can ribbon cables be flat if their connector has multiple layers????

Look at the PATA cable and you'll see...

this is something Sup Forums has been wondering about females for 14 years

is it a 80 conductor or 40? pic is too small to tell.

>>there are people on Sup Forums right now that don't have any clue what the difference is

>Especially the retarded way they dealt with L3 cache.
They had no L3 cache.

>IDE
>not being PATA
>implying you shouldn't fuck right off

OPs pick is the UDMA80 but I meant you should look at the cable you have at home from your older computers.
If I was at home I could show you my half-broken one that I had to cut open and shorten since it got cut in the middle of the cable.
But basically they have to spikes for each side that cuts into the cable similar to how ethernet ports are only that they overlap.

This image shows well enough though.

I'm happy I don't have to deal with ATA, ATAPI, UDMA etc anymore.
And thank god for motherboards that didn't have CS working easily.
Master and Slave assigning was boring.

>people who aren't nostalgic for ide are idiots
I bet you miss AGP too.

I'm in the process of finding a cheap Voodoo 3 3000 to complement my two Voodoo 2 SLi cards.
But no, I'm not nostalgic for AGP.

>voodoo 3
I owned one, switched to a Number9 (32mb iirc) and never looked back

My dad is still using an IDE drive. It is 300GB, so it isn't even that old.

>What will be written on my tombstone.

Fancy.
How would you say it fares against a Riva TNT2 32MB AGP? (yellow passive model, can't check since I'm not at home with my pc cases right now).

I can safely say if Number9 was still making GPUs they would easily destroy current market. that card was light years ahead of its time. TNT2 wasn't too familiar with.

I feel stupid not falling for the Quantum3D when I had the chance. was gonna buy one of the 64MB for cheap but pussied out and it was bought a week later.

Things would be truly different if we still had the big ones still competing.
I miss my old ATi cards.

my Number9 is still running in the same box it was delegated to. I tried hard to maintain the uptime but I had a UPS failure at an inopportune time, otherwise I'd been on and active for easily 15 years (dns).

I'm trying to find a LGA775 board that has AGP so I can swap that P2 setup with a C2Q Q9400/8GB and consolate some services. that card will go on until it dies

Fuck IDE.

I built a PC for my step dad back in 2004 that was using both AGP and PCI-E and had 2 DDR400 and 2 DDR2 slots, I can't if it was pick related or a similar Gigabyte.
asrock.com/mb/via/775dual-vsta/
I'd gladly send if you lived in Sweden since i have two of them.

nah I'm a cannafag, but thanks for the suggestion that actually seems to be exactly what I'm looking for

It works better than I thought it would.
I was afraid it would be shitty using DDR with PCI-E and AGP with DDR2 because there's always a catch with those frankenboards.

Might be that I got lucky by not buying a ECS board.
I know a canada dude, heard winter hit hard on you guys.
Best of luck this winter from fellow snowman.

yes, I remember the suffering
FUCK IDE DRIVES
FUCK YOU OP

I was using an asus ROG board (formula ii or something similar) with the nForce chipset for that C2Q and everything about it was fucky from the first day.

not hit too hard, no. maybe 1-2 inch of snow in total so far, 6c two days this coming week but right now it's -23

>not knowing what a rainbow cable is

>All this fucking autism
>Doesn't realize it's just a wire

Ultra DMA 66/100/133 ATA ribbon cable
Hard level: what do connector colors mean?

Intel pentium 2, celeron or pentium 3 slot1 package or first generation Athlon in Slot A.

I wish i could forget. Those things are fucking terrible

working from memory but blue is board-side, grey is master and black is slave for people who are too cucked to use jumpers

I had nForce on my 780i that I cracked when I replaced the dried out thermal paste.
Talked to ASUS and told them what I do for a living and how it happened, they sent me a new board without any questions.
The North bridge literally cracked like glass and half the die was glued/welded to the thermal paste and cooler.
It was one of the ASUS Maximus formula S755.
Got a Striker II formula since it was the same but newer board and got a P4 524 3.06GHz up to almost 4.9GHz on air at sub-80c temps.
My EVGA 750i FTW still lives on as the faster replacement PC I gave to my stepdad back in 2009.

Almost.
Black is master.
Slave is always the one in the middle of the cable so that the master drive could be placed at the top of the HDD bay.

Blue also means its ATA66 cable. ATA33 mostly had black connectors.

reminds me of those stupid fucking jumper configs I think MAXTOR was using, 1-2 3-5 for master, what the hell was that shit?

No there aren't

I've had one maxtor and it was a 1.8GB drive.
Never more.
I had a 5.25 HDD at around 40MB as well but I can't remember which brand it was since I was still a teenager back then.

External cache+supposedly better cooling.

Uh, ribbon cable?

That's ok. We replaced it with something better.

Looks like my guitar strap

I guess the cache thing makes sense but I really doubt the cooling was any better.

Predacessor of PII was Pentium Pro, which had cache on die, MCMed to the processor. This was prohibitively expensive due to high failure rate, so Intel decided to run off-board cache that is still close to the cpu.

Essentially - it was a workaround to a problematic manufacturing process.

Maybe if they're underage.

It was better. it could have a bigger cooler.
Do remember the coolers back then wasn't these big monsters we have to day.
They literally were 40x40 with a fan to complete the size.

That doesn't mean they couldn't have made them larger.

I've got two all IDE based systems in storage. One's an 2001 Dell Dimension L800CXE w/Voodoo 3 2000. Other is a Socket 939 Opteron-185 w/ Geforce 6800GT AGP card. Interesting thing is that the S939 mobo supports both full speed AGP 8X and PCI-E 16 cards. Also features a "Surround Display View" mode where you can use PCI + AGP + PCI-E graphics cards all at once. So assuming all three cards supported 3 displays you could end up with 9 max.

I remember being a "slave" to it amiriteguyz..okay im done

Fuck your ATA shit ... SCSI for life!

Um sweetie, actually it’s a Japanese anime website.

>there are people on slash g slash who have no idea what this is

hmmm looks like core memory

thruster control routine for lunar lander

Find a Noctua sized cooler from 1996-1999.

>tfw no grandma to tell me her stories of knitting rope core memory for the luner lander

>lunar "lander"