Having trouble creating a bootable windows usb from ubuntu 17.04

Tried sudo command to install WinUSB Cant find it in quick menu. installed UNetbooting and formated usb drive to ntfs (didnt work) got a black screen when booting from usb. installed WoeUSB, and formated usb drive. woeusb cant find my drive.

have screen-shots and code if that helps

>pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just use Etcher.

WINE + Rufus

Burn a dvd.

Dont have a dvd
>Cant buy them over here at this time

Going to try the above option

>checked

Try Qtractor for making music.

Use dd

Is that a mixing software or producing? my main reason for wanting to change from linux is the lack of dj software and how tedious it is to make them work (checked))

dd?

dd if=/path/to/iso of=/path/to/usb bs=4M

dd if=/path/to/iso of=/path/to/usb bs=4M path to usb is usually something like /dev/sdb

>Used etcher (standalone)
>completed.jpeg
>boot menu
>No bootable drive
Use rufus? and try agian?

Format drive start agian?

Came here to say this.

use gparted before opening woe usb you retarded fuck

>dd if=/path/to/iso of=/path/to/usb bs=4M
nice trips

dd if=/Downloads/en_windows_7_AIO_sp1_x64_x86_dvd.ISO/of=/dev/sdb bs=4M ??

I have

make it fat32 msdos brainlet

also only one partition, create a new partition table and wipe the whole drive

dd doesn't work for windows ISO's

i forgot from which menu, but there is a *create new partition table* option, that will fix it,and before that right click delete the 200 mb partition

>t from which menu, but there is a *create new partition table* option, that will

>device/create new partition

Should work

Why not? But my bad then

Success.jpeg
>Usb Fat32
Still not working with anything

>Download new ,iso?

This doesn't always (often doesn't) work for the WIndows 7 or FreeDOS isos.

Nothing is finding my usb

here goes

>making bootable windows install usbs from linux
lmao use virtualbox, install windows and do bootable usb from there. Im not even joking.

Oh..

I've had to do this like 5 times, trying dd, gnome-disks, unetinboot, win32-img in wine.
For non-bootable disks like Windows 7, Rufus in a VM is the ONLY thing that works.

Will post results

i hate wine more than using virtual machines so i prefer my VM way desu. But yeah, making windows usb from linux, everyone has been there at least once.
However i think you can pull it off somehow by marking the disk as bootable in gparted or gnome-disks but never got around to doing it.

woe-usb-gtk works perfectly fine, you just have to format the usb properly and then UNMOUNT THE FUCKING USB (not ejecting ig)

>my X-th 3rd party tool made after then X-1-th tool project died works perfectly fine
just saying but having to download shit from out of repositories to make a bootable usb is not perfectly fine. On the other hand its mostly microsotfs fault for not providing images that will work after dd like any other system.

>Properly

intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

are you missing the point completely or just ironically by posting a guide on how to do it in windows?

gonna download a win10 iso and check if i can do this properly with gparted and dd. Will booting up an VM thats supposed to boot from an forwarded usb enough? i dont want to reboot to check it.

>current year
>windows iso are still DVD images
lmao

Now trying VM really having a shitty time with this, i wouldnt mind but im not even a noob

About 2h ago I went through the same shit you are now in op and I did the sledgehammer solution:
>format stick in ntfs
>set flag "boot" in gparted or whatever you prefer for the first and only partition
>mount it
>run "sudo grub-install --platform=i386-pc --boot-directory "/[path/to/flashdrive/mountpoint]/boot" /dev/sd* where you replace the path and the asterisk with the according values
>mount the iso with "sudo mount -o loop [windows.iso] /mnt", replace windows.iso with path
>copy the stuff from the iso directory to the root of your flashdrive
>place a grub.cfg in the /boot/grub folder on your flashdrive
>paste this:
echo "Booting..."
insmod ntfs
insmod search_fs_uuid
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid [the partition uuid]
--set root
ntldr /bootmgr
boot

>paste in the right uuid
If everything else fails, this will work. It's basically what the fancy programs do, but for some reason fail at. If you got questions ama

I literally did format a usb stick with gparted and then used woe on 16.04 2 days earlier, and I've done it like a 100 times. I don't understand what could be wrong on your machine? Did you actually unmount the usb before opening woe-usb? like sudo umount /dev/sdb1

I posted an alternative because I'm not confident that OP can figure out how to do it in linux.

I'm OP

make the whole usb a fat32 partition
mount windows iso
copy content of windows iso to usb
done