Buying a macbook

I’m tired of buying a laptop and having it be unusable in 3 years due to being too slow, viruses and low build quality. I’m buying a Mac.

Is a MacBook Pro a must? What are thoughts on touchbar? Anything else I should know?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/z-AKUCW9z3QIuaU6QRbRHg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/_glUELz4vv9hjRZ8x1cIKg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/VNbuaDIfThMAlAASqaI0Kw/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/epKkMUP2mAJphUDLwAIY4w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/llF-zz9URlbvsF7nE4mG0w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/LDMvhb3n444ISJRI9u7YZQ/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/uskkuBo91wIlsRF2wxGiLg
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/cqSr-2OIIrWCcTMw_U-HEw/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/cI3_tmP5xpFTGlWmEg9goQ/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why not buy a PC laptop for less and put Mac OS on it. Research the specs and hardware before you do such a thing. It costs less.

That would defeat the purpose. I want a high quality build, and an experience where everything just works.

I’m happy to pay extra for the quality

You can still get a high quality PC. If you want a laptop that you can't replace the ram, then go ahead. The touch bar is interesting, but you can't touch type with it, if you want to reach your F keys (f1-f12) as they don't exist anymore.

then you should invest you money in a time machine. So you can travel back in time in which apple products were quality products.

If you don’t need a whole lot of power (for things like Adobe CC and fancy 3D video games), you can probably make do with the 12” Retina MacBook.

I’ve had my retina MBP since 2014 so even though I’ve played around with the new Touch Bar models in stores, I don’t really have an opinion on it. People are split on both that and the thinner keyboards, so YMMV.

As for switching, just don’t expect it to be just like Windows. Learning the trackpad gestures and keyboard shortcuts will go a long way to making your experience more enjoyable. Once you’ve gotten used to macOS as your day-to-day machine, you’ll find it’s a very powerful, consistent, and easy-to-use environment.

Also make sure to check out Apple.com’s support page if you need help.

Yeah I'd recommend just either going hars or going home. Buy a macbook pro, several adapter cables, cooling pad, name brand carry bag, glass screen protector (for laptops, they exist) and extended warranty. No more than $5000.
Moron.
>m-muh build quality
There are hundreds of laptops at a dozen pricepoints. Just because apple uses shitty low quality thin as paper metao doesn't increase their build quality at all.

the Macbook is a meme, avoid it
there is just nothing that matches MBP

just buy some business laptop. enterprise bullshit is just as expensive as a MacBook.

HP EliteBook 850 or something...

Touchbar is the only innovation made on the macbook

>costs less

no they don't. similar build quality PCs will cost MORE and have significantly less resale value after X years.

Do you have any sources to back that up?
The simple lack of proper vent holes and infamous throttling destroys the longevity of the processors.

You're a fucking idiot.

And you're an attention whore retard.

It might have less resale value because people will buy anything Apple, but I would argue that older Mac computers have a better resale value compared to newer intel Macs. They look similar, where older Macs looked unique.
Back in the day, they looked colorful. Now they all look grey and are made of aluminum.

>I’m tired of buying a laptop and having it be unusable in 3 years due to being too slow, viruses and low build quality.
Yeah, I get you man.
>I’m buying a Mac.
???

>viruses

If you bought a 3 year old pc that is too slow, the problem is you, not the laptop

Windows 10 is the virus.

You are resorting to name calling instead of giving proof.

Not this user, but if you just compare, part for part, you'll see almost everything on the mackbook is a step up from a thinkpad. The two caveats are it is not mil-spec (don't drop your macbook) and the butterfly keyboard is utter shit, while the thinkpad's is probably the best.

Other than that, the screen is infinitely better, the SSD faster, trackpad better (though the clitmouse is what you should use if you go with a thinkpad/latitude). I've priced them both out multiple times, and they're always close, while the PC parts aren't *quite* there.

Then there's fucking Windows, which is worth a few bucks to avoid.

seriously what the fuck did Apple do to that keyboard, it's a damn crime

Too bad Apple build quality has been regrading while other brands have been improving it.

GIve Safari a fair shake. It's a great all-around modern browser with fast performance and built-in privacy features. Chrome is a notorious performance hog.

For adblocking, get 1Blocker from the Mac App Store; it's faster and more private than old-school JavaScript extensions like AdBlock Plus.

In the Finder, use Quick Look (spacebar or Cmd+Y) to quickly preview a selected file.

macOS has first-rate PDF support; you can export practically anything to PDF, and the Preview app has some light PDF editing features such as annotation and signatures.

You can use QuickTime Player to record screencasts, audio from a mic, or video from a webcam, as well as do some light editing.

Get a dell xps

I know, right.

My next laptop will likely be a Thinkpad because I write a lot and that fucking butterfly keyboard is shit.

Thought the price/value are pretty much the same, I would avoid that keyboard like the plague. Going to miss a few Mac-only Apps tho.

The XPS looks nice, but I'd stick to thinkpad/latitude if you want it to last more than 3 years.

>I’m tired of buying a laptop and having it be unusable in 3 years
>I’m buying a Mac

so it becomes obsolete after a year?
nice strategy you got right there faggot!

>I’m tired of buying a laptop and having it be unusable in 3 years
Buy a more decent machine, not 200$ Intel Celeron shit
> due to being too slow, viruses
Use Common Sense™® 2018 antivirus, it doesn't slow down a system and it is free for everyone, except retards.
Or GNU/Linux, also a good antivirus, but requires more skills to use.
>low build quality
Don't buy low-end shit from chinks.
>I’m buying a Mac.
Will not fix your problem. It will create new problems.
>Is a MacBook Pro a must?
Nope. MacBook's hardware isn't bad, but it overpriced.
>What are thoughts on touchbar?
Useless shit. Even keyboard on Mac is only 6/10, because keys are wobbly like on chinks shit... Even Asus have less wobble and more tactile feedback.
>Anything else I should know?
IFYS

Reminder to report this iToddler shill for spamming and ban evasion.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/z-AKUCW9z3QIuaU6QRbRHg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/_glUELz4vv9hjRZ8x1cIKg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/VNbuaDIfThMAlAASqaI0Kw/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/epKkMUP2mAJphUDLwAIY4w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/llF-zz9URlbvsF7nE4mG0w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/LDMvhb3n444ISJRI9u7YZQ/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/uskkuBo91wIlsRF2wxGiLg
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/cqSr-2OIIrWCcTMw_U-HEw/

>becomes obsolete after a year?
Early 2011 MBP owner here.

My last Mac lasted 7 years, current mac over 2 years already.

Nice shitpost, though.

>I’m tired of buying a laptop and having it be unusable in 3 years due to being too slow, viruses and low build quality.
>I’m buying a Mac that's too slow, viruses and low build quality out of the box.

Remember to report advertisement threads

And yes, even in Macs battery in three years becomes a meh, loses 10-30% of capacity.
No, battery isn't bad, just you can't fool laws of nature.
Which OS you are running?
On my MacBook Air 2014 13 High Sierra doesn't work.
Sierra - OK. 10.9 - even better, Ubuntu - best....

stating fact. he is in fact a fucking idiot.

I have a 13" Macbook Pro (early 2015), work provided it, I didn't buy it.

Build quality is nice, works, actually able to plug things into it because it has ports, has enough horsepower to run 2 4k displays alongside its primary display.

It's worth looking to see if you can get a 2015 Macbook rather than buying the latest trash. Apple have been really dropping the ball since Steve Jobs died. Touchbar is a meme and I like to be able to plug stuff into my laptop.

Work is giving us new Macbooks in Febuary, I don't want to """"upgrade"""" to the latest memebook

If you're willing to spend the big bucks, maybe take a look at the surface book 2. Looks alright and specwise it's top tier.

Spotlight can be used as a calculator (with support for parentheses, modulus, factorials, exponents / logarithms, square and cube roots, and trigonometric functions) and unit converter. Personally, I prefer it to the Calculator app.

I just realized it can convert currency into USD.

Reminder that this iToddler shill's phone number is 44 7507 376675. :^)

Most built-in apps (and good third-party apps) allow you to customize the toolbar to your liking, so you can add, remove, and reorder buttons and other widgets.

The menu bar is your friend. Everything that you can do in an app should be accessible from the menu bar.

MENTALLY DERANGED

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/cI3_tmP5xpFTGlWmEg9goQ/

I'd wait until next year.

I own a mbp 2017 15" and it throttles so poorly you can't even take advantage of the dedicated gpu. If I were to buy one today I would get the non touchbar model.

I looked into the surface book 2 as well. It looks perfect with no throttling but under full load it actually drains the battery because of USB C power limitations.

Next year Apple will be releasing a MacBook with eink keyboard and face id. The glowing apple logo will also return. It should also get a 30% performance boost because the chips that will be used are still under development right now. Q3 2018 the earliest.

Exactly what type of mental disorder does OP suffer from? I've been wondering for a while.

>0BD050AA-7B96-478A-816A-8E3D8A4D2535.jpg
Sage and report.

High Sierra worked fine for me, I just didn't like it so I had to restore it to factory settings and then upgrade from there.

That's a guaranteed way to run into hundreds of small annoyances that don't work quite right, endless forum visits to try and troubleshoot the problem and then inevitably find out its not possible to fix these issues and realise there is a cost to cheaping out on hardware, just that its not apparent until its too late to return it

The entire reason people buy Apple hardware is to avoid tinkering

The entire reason people buy Apple hardware is because they're gullible morons.

t. Basement Dwelling Unemployed Poorfag

They're paying for someone else to sand down all the rough corners of technology so they can spend their mental energy on actually interesting things

If you enjoy fixing mundane computer problems and trawling forums, great, it's not intended for you

>safari is good
>the best browser now
Have fun with your jail cell, iToddlers

This.

>mental energy on actually interesting things
So browsing facebook, twitter, and netflix while the government watches them fap?

I've got a 2012 mbp 15". Paid $1000 used. Had to replace battery for $300, but solid usable work machine to this day.

I just want a 15” inch macbook.
Thin and light but with a bigger screen than 12”

Apple seems to be popular among women... My friend has mac book air 2013, it runs stable etc but has shit battery life

And that's why most women suck at tech. All mac users can do is browse their normie sites while watching netflix
Too bad I have a nice laptop not from Apple that I use to virtualize Mavericks, Yosemite, and Sierra at the same time with basically similar performance

Apple computers are used exclusively at literally every big tech company, including those hosting this server, those that made your web browser

OP is probably a shill, but in any case if he's actually sincere I still don't give a shit if he buys an apple laptop.
Technicians like Louis Rossman make money from naive people who think Apple make quality products and I like Louis, so let him have another customer.

>>mental energy on actually interesting things
>thinks wasting time googe-fu'ing trivial computer issues is 'intellectually stimulating'
>something a monkey or east indian can literally do

the mindset of the jobless basement dwelling manchild

Apple computers are used exclusively by brainlets.

Mental illness.

>understanding all technology works is a waste of time
>learning to become more versatile with different OSes on a triple boot setup is a waste of time
Stay mad, iToddler. I'm sure your locked down system is still too hard for your tiny brain to master.

They are used by patricians, while the plebs all use Windows.

Been there, done that and came back.

Mac Pro, always. But dont get one now, the latest gen are fucking abysmal. I went back to pc from ten years of macbook pros last July - got an Alienware 15r3. They are cheap right now. The build quality is excellent and they are VR ready.

OP just has a tiny rat brain and was easily conditioned to be a mindless shill.

>alienware
>mac
>good

t. Jobless Pajeet

makes you think

I'm the jobless one? You and your iToddler friends spend all day pushing mac products on this board for sure have a "better" job. And that simply doesn't refute the point. Is it bad to be versatile at different OSes and environments? Is it bad to understand how computers work?

This.

The battery is probably overdue for a replacement, MBAs usually get 5-10hrs depending on what you're doing

You sure showed him there, applel faggot!

Buy a System76 laptop, leave Linux on it. Guaranteed to work for 5 years without slowing down.

aftermarket batteries on amazon go for like $50 and are easy as fuck to change. i've got a launch haswell (2013) mba and still get 10-11 hours battery life on mine.

is it bad understanding how to clean toilets and wash shit out dirty underwear?
ANYONE can learn how to do TRIVIAL tasks. no one WANTS to do that shit out of necessity on a regular basis though. You fucking moron.

The Mac Pro has fallen by the wayside because most people don't legitimately need that much power, so why would they pay >$5k they literally wouldn't notice if it were secretly swapped out for a 1-2k machine. Obviously there's still a very narrow niche that needs the power, but I'm not surprised Apple neglected it for ages.

I was under the mistaken impression they were hard to change, isn't there some warranty implication to changing it yourself?

>is it bad understanding how to clean toilets and wash shit out dirty underwear?
>ANYONE can learn how to do TRIVIAL tasks. no one WANTS to do that shit out of necessity on a regular basis though. You fucking moron.
This. No one wants to use fagOS with all its special snowflake bullshit just to do a simple right click.

nope you just unscrew the bottom cover (like 5 screws), and the battery is right there.
warranty should not be an issue on a 2013 since the warranty should LONG be expired.

>RIGHT CLICK
>RIGHT CLICK
>RIGHT CLICK
>HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

my sides LOL