How do you prefer to do hard disk partitions when you install some system on your PC?

For example, I have 1TB drive, and I do one 100GB volume for the system and other 900GB are reserved for content. And what's your style?

>100GB for system
Gee windows fucking sucks

Everything on one partition

And delete all your data every time you have to reinstall your system? Cool decision.

Why would I reinstall my system all the time?

Some people have more than one HDD.

111GB SSD for windows, 2x 1.81TB HDDs for everything, 1x 1.81TB HDD + 1x 1.4TB HDD for a backup of everything that would take too much effort to re-download.

I tend to use different hard drives for OS and for data. multi-partition on OS drive for dual boot between linux and windows. also OS drive is small (80GB).

of course this may not be an option if you're on a laptop

40gb hdd for my system
2x1tb hdd for storage
2x500gb hdd for network sharing

There are many reasons actually, who knows, maybe some update from retarder Microsoft codemonkeys will broke your system (if you use Windows of course)

I agree, if one HDD is small and the other one huge it is a good way to work.

SSD dual boot win/linux
2x 2TB HDD for stuff
2x 2TB HDD for backup of the stuff

I also us the 3-2-1 backup method

1 Partition for /boot
1 Partition for everything else, but i separate things with subvolumes.

Hey I have a semi related question. I have a fairly small SSD in my laptop with Windows installed. I want to get a larger SSD and partition it to dual boot a Linux distro. Can I transfer the contents of my windows drive to a new partition of the larger drive so that I don't have to reinstall everything? I have a desktop I can use to do the actual transfer

120GB SSD for OS
Separate drives for stuff

In case of only one drive, say a 1TB drive, then:
120GB OS
880GB Stuff

Acronis.

> Implying the whole partition will be used for the OS and not for shit like muh games

Depending on the size of the HDD.

Main computer's HDD is 1TB
x1 200GB For system
x2 400GB for random shit.

In laptops I use 80-100GB for the system and the rest for shit (For HDDs of 250GB+)

I have a 120 GB SSD. 50 GB for OS and 70 for critical games that are dependent on loading speed.

Then I have 5 TB HDD split into 2 partitions. Downloads(temporary and subject to mass delition) and Archives(saving for all time).

it doesn't matter at all for windows unless you're setting up shared drives.

Windows is too fucking stupid to consistently recognize and work with multiple partitions, and is a headache if you have to do any large scale transfer between partitions, or any kind of reading/writing between the two.

on linux/UNIX systems, always go 20-30GB root partition and the rest for /home.

Have only one partition, had it that way since 10 years ago. My data is backed up elsewhere. The "d:" drive is not necessary. If I need to reinstall, I don't need to format everything.

I have an SSD for the OS and a HDD for media and such.

Related to this:

I want to downgrade one of my laptops with an 120GB HDD to an 80GB one.

Can I simple clone the bigger into a smaller one?
> The 120GB HDD only has 60~ GB used.

just make a system image and clone it. Takes way less time and effort on your part. just make sure that you do that before you partition the new SSD and throw a distro on there

There are many software solutions which offer such services, including the ones which come with your brand new SSD, but I've yet to see them work.

Just don't.

Don't fuck around...
3 partitions:
Win sys 200GB (gaymans)
Sys Scratch 64GB
Sys Backup 200GB
Data 540GB

Job done!

Fair enough. Personally I have a 250g SSD for the OS/Programs
And a 500g HDD (laptop HDD, but i got it for free so whatever) where I install all muh gaymes on.

ah-hm thats 4 not 3 partitions...