Buy brand new 1800x

>buy brand new 1800x
>plug everything in
>decide to check for that segfault bug linux users found that seems like only affects linux before i do anything else
>memory at default jedec with 1.0v soc
>1721 build date - texas plant malaysia built
>2 minutes into that checker script it fails with a segfault

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/corngood/kill-ryzen-win
twitter.com/AnonBabble

HEY DO YOU REMEMBER ABOUT MELTDOWN???? INTEL IS SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

like its running great in windows so far. compiled some stuff in visual studio. though just crap projects i did for class, but that bug is pretty annoying for linux. and from what i read its actually a hardware bug from manufacturing.

even though i really don't plan on using linux anytime soon i still don't know if i should return it to amd for another. from what i've read no one has actually pulled off the same bug in windows. but its still a bug. yeah i can exchange it for another from the retailer i bought it from (frys) but i doubt they have anything newer. i really don't want to go two weeks of no computer. so i'm like, either wait till ryzen refresh and sell this to buy a refresh model, or send it off to amd and go two weeks of zero computer... which i kinda need for college. my laptop sucks ass.

and also amd's claim of "small number of early manufactured ryzens have this issue" i calling bullshit on. it seems like 50 / 50.

>fell for amd and loonix meme

Retard here; why are segfaults bad?

RMA it buddy, i did for my 1800x and now it werks just well.

And don't believe the stupid meme of people saying that the chips from the RMA are worse because of the binning.

I could very well be wrong, but, I do believe that the issue was addressed in a later kernel upgrade. By using the installer, (which is locked into an older kernel) you are naturally going to see this issue.

it causes application to just crash.
yeah but see for my dilemma
its not a software issue, its a hardware issue caused by a manufacturing defect according to amd's own press release. a defect that apparently only emerges on linux. caused by a way that linux stresses all the threads under extreme load. way windows works it doesn't trigger it under similar loads under windows. and since i primarily use windows i don't know if its worth it.

Why is a train derailment bad

AMD will replace it for free. Send an RMA.

Easy enough to replace. Looks like you got old stock or some shit. Where did you buy it?

>send it off to amd and go two weeks of zero computer...
eh, not the end of the world unless you're addicted
>which i kinda need for college.
oh ok, that sounds reasonab...
> my laptop sucks ass.
fucking kids these days...

no, it really does suck. intel celeron dual core with no ht. its a lenovo thinkpad edu netbook. i even sticked in a crucial m2 ssd into the second m2 slot that had a cellular adapter in it and it barely helped things... also up the ram from 2gb to 8gb. that celeron is so slow.
yeah i know but i also thinking about updating to ryzen refresh in march. so like, it is really worth it? i can sell my current 1800x when it comes out. like if it only hurts linux i can wait a few months for the time being. unless it hurts more than linux. kinda what i'm fishing for is any info if this isn't isolated to just linux heavy abusive all thread workloads.
i got it from frys electronics. according to them, they got the stock in october... 1721 is its built date. so 2017 - end of may i take it.

can you eli5?

>i got it from frys electronics. according to them, they got the stock in october... 1721 is its built date. so 2017 - end of may i take it.
Could be fucking older for all you know then.
If you ever worked retail you would know that some shit that gets returned just gets put back on the shelf.

yeah at least AMD is actually dealing with the problem instead of doing nothing and going "lol sorry"
it's a pain in the ass and it should've worked properly out of the box, but at least you have the option to RMA it

Wonder if Ryzen+ will have this problem. I don't think it will.

my laptop has A FUCKIN PENTIUM
and 6GB of ram somehow
i wonder if the cpu bottlenecks the ram XD

leave

from what i gathered they already fixed the issue with any ryzen build after week 25... so refresh should have the fix. especially since its built on a new process as it was a manufacturing (process) defect not ryzen itself. so not so much amd fault, but global foundries / samsung.
yeah i give them kudos for that. intel is just shitting on everyone over the meltdown issue.

oh i agree. i figured they got it from a distributor rather than directly from amd. either that or amd still has a lot of older week sku's.

>hoarding a faulty product rather than getting a replacement
ISHYDDT

sad thing is a TON of ryzen owners who got theirs before week 25 have this bug and not even know it.... because they run windows. like only reason why amd never issued a recall and settled on rma. pretty much only loonix users will run into it.

Update the kernel.

Just google what a segfault is
You'll get it

This Bug is also representative on Windows.
github.com/corngood/kill-ryzen-win
Only RMA is allowed.