40's -NTSC, 480i

40's -NTSC, 480i
70's - Color TV
Early 2000's - 480p
Mid 2000's - 720p/1080i
Late 2000's - 1080p, switch to digital in US
Mid 2010's - 2160p

Why did TV tech take off all of a sudden in the 2000's after nothing really happening for decades? I mean yeah, we switched from console TV's to regular CRT's but that was about it. Then in the 2000's we got rear-projection HDTV's, Plasma, LCD, and now we have OLED. Just seems kinda crazy.

idk probably because you're gay lol

Because (((they))) started viewing television as a way to control the masses.

gubint forced to not use analog cable
which means awesome crts now besides controlling you more and taking more of your money, you get to get a headache looking at a blue glowing screen tryuing to make a black color to you

how does resolution have anything to do with polshit conspiracies?

LCD with great competition from PDP
the new display tech was hyped up, and people loved it because it was good.
eventually the powers that be determined the masses weren't deserving of gods chosen display tech (PDP) and thus started hoarding it for themselves, while bullying customers into buying shitty shit LCDs (which had slightly higher profit margins).
until today at which point development of new tech is nonexistent as people are forced to play exuberant amounts for sub par LCD panels which can do one thing good at a time.

while people from 07 remember the glory days of how amazing tvs were and how much better they were promised to become. (laser tvs were being developed at one point, capable of up to 80% colour reproduction)
but alas, corporate greed and stupid people being decieved into buying inferior produce led to the death of the industry.

welcome to hell, never forget, you're here forever.

40s would have been 240p at best

yes with then-current technology. but the maximum theoretical resolution remained unchanged for sixty years

nothing was wrong with crt, but heavy and power use but who cares, at least
contrast
input lag=0

>nothing was wrong except these things I just said were bad

It was the switch to digital broadcast / hdtv.

The original cutover date was 95, I believe. The broadcast industry kept whining about time and expense and the govt kept pushing back. Eventually someone realized auctioning off the old spectrum would net eleventeen billion dollars so they stopped pushing the date back and forced broadcast to get off their ass.

So you have this mad rush where everyone is replacing TVs. Record profits for any company in that sector. Everyone buys their replacements but the electronics manufacturers can’t imagine going back to previous levels of profitability.

So they desperately start chasing the next big thing that will force people to buy all new sets again. Curved, 3D, 4K, all of it is just trying to make everyone’s existing hardware outdated again.

wasn't the issue with pdp is that it was so damn fragile as in it had burn problems?

fpbp

so im in heaven then with an analog YES I AM video out card, 980 gtx, a 21inch crt at 1600x1200 75hz, yea as soon as i switched from my r9 390 digital only out card, to this, a headache went away. i feel like a robot.

you guys all, with leds and shit got devices

Simply put, up until recently the tech necessary for higher resolutions were too expensive for the mainstream and TV is as mainstream as it gets

>Early 2000's - 480p

Not really.

>Why did TV tech take off all of a sudden in the 2000's after nothing really happening for decades

LCDs made big TV viable. Big TV requires better resolution to not look shit nearby.
Computers became (just) fast enough to decode digital processed signals allowing for higher resolution content delivery to be viable. VHS and Betamax could JUST barely do SD video with a reasonably sized tape with run times long enough for content (and even then they had to degrade quality for better run times). DVDs killed digital VHS tapes but they weren't really necessary for the HD takeover.

The switch to digital broadcast had nothing to do with it. HD TVs were well established for a while by then and only niggers/campers/elderly watched broadcast tv anyway.

Early 2000s was a fight for the replacement of CRTs that is why a whole host of new TV tech came out at that time, testing the waters of what people would pay for and what people found to be "good enough"

PDP was like the betamax of TVs, it was good but had issues and due to those issues people went to LCDs, While LCDs as the time where not as good they where simpler and more durable in the end.

>I learn history from Techmoan and youtube in general: the post

>(laser tvs were being developed at one point, capable of up to 80% colour reproduction)

Old news. REC.2020 bringing the color back with OLED and QD-LED

>durable
bwahahaahahahaha
>2000 year model viewsonic

It’s the content. It doesn’t matter if grandma is watching Big Bang theory ota or over cable. The network has to produce it in hd and they didn’t until the switch.

nobody could be sony during those few decades. then LCD emerged around the 1990s

Despite the rampant shilling from the industry OLED will never take off, it STILL has burn in and image retention issues, not to mention blue color shift. Normies buy TV's for a decade, not two years.

>Normies buy TV's for a decade

Maybe fifty years ago.
Modern cyclical consumption means normies dump their old TV onto craigslist whenever something shiny's on sale.

because this is our board too. kys nigger

>Why did TV tech take off all of a sudden in the 2000's after nothing really happening for decades?

Because you conveniently ignore everything that happened before the 2000s. Color TVs existed since the 50s. Sets at the time were the size of a cupboard with a 13 inch screen, a part of which was hidden by the bezel. They also suffered from burn in.

70s/80s had huge improvements in the screen mask technology that allowed for significantly better size and quality sets (Trinitron). 90s had analog HDTV in japan (1152 lines), and 480p also existed (EDTV). 480p was a thing for computers since the 80s, although the problem there was flicker-free operation at high frequencies to prevent your eyes turning into omlettes after a day at your workstation. PCs by the end of the 90s could do 2048x1536.

It's in the name the O stands for organic, and organic shit tends to break down. Unless youg et rid of the O, OLED will forever have those issues. Kinda of a shame because OLED can be really good.

Most people still keep there TVs longer than OLED can keep decent image quality.

>OLED
Nice meme.
That faggotry actually brings back the need for ACTUAL SCREENSAVERS.

It's like we're going back in time.

My old IBM trinitron monitor has a color return feature to correct for degraded colors from age and when Dell announced a 5k OLED that then was canceled due to color shift later in life. I was thinking that they need to bring back that 2 decade old feature in monitors

with LEDs that would just mean that the fucked up color gets boosted to balance shit out which either means at "100%" brightness the displays is actually always running at way less to have headroom for the boost or that all other colors get dimmed down to match the failing one which would mean that the overall brightness decreases with age.

I don't see this getting implemented with todays displays.
They either get LEDs that are not organic and don't fail in that way or they actually go with the laser meme soon.

that image is a good ten years off the mark.

Exactly what I thought.
I vividly remember seeing TVs everywhere that were labeled "2000s" in that shit in the 90s.

i have a samsung t260r from 2008 thatdisagrees with you

[spoiler]its LED backlit as well[/spoiler]

Bullshit it rapes the whitewash that is lcd. Also real black

Plasma
>too expensive, burn-in
OLED
>too expensive, burn-in
Both will share the same fate.

Exactly what I thought as well.

>too expensive
pdp was just as competitively priced as LCD
it just cost more to manufacture so they convinced stores salesmen to shill hard for it whenever someone wanted to buy a pdp.

OLED hasn't matured enough to be competitive, but maybe it will be worth the price.

again, tvs are not monitors. they're not meant for static images.

take a moment to think and post again
this time answer my fucking question

Tech has stagnagted actually.

The jump from 480i/p 4:3 AR analog to 16:9 1080i/720 digital was big

All we have now is MOAR pixels even though there's no actual 4k content. Also HDR seems to be a meme so it's just moar pixels and botnet IOT tv's

>no actual 4k content
UHD Blu-ray is a thing

>so it's just moar pixels
We do get 10bit color now as standard on pretty much all 4k displays since it's required for HDR. You can choose not to use HDR and just use the 10bit color

it makes more sense if you look at it as "what most people had in those years" (assuming they had a TV at all, for the pre-80's ones)

It was absolutely the rise of LCD panels that revolutionized shit. CRTs were huge, heavy and expensive--40+ inch models existed but were very high end, required at least two people to move and probably needed special furniture. Now you can buy a 50+ inch TV that you can hang on the wall with one paycheck or less. CRTs are great for certain niche tasks and nostalgia but if you don't think they fucking sucked as the *only* mainstream option you weren't fucking alive when they were.

>required at least two people to move and probably needed special furniture. Now you can buy a 50+ inch TV that you can hang on the wall
Can confirm. Whoever built my house had a space/shelf built into the den wall for a TV.
Got a 32" Panasonic Tau HDTV put in. 200+ lbs., took two guys to move.
Literally just covered it up with a 55" flatscreen hung on the wall. The CRT is still back there and I'm not moving that thing again.

CRTs where fucking heavy no one is doubting that but CRTs still looked better than what was replacing them at the time and performed better in terms of numbers. Good luck finding a 1080p LCD monitor in 1995 even going in the early 2000s LCDs where still stupidly far behind took a good 8-10 years for an LCD to do what a good CRT monitor did in 2001

>Why did TV tech take off all of a sudden in the 2000's
consumerism...
personally i watch TV on a 22" CRT TV for half of my life, i couldn't care less about 4K OLED 46" TVs...

the only HD display I own is my second monitor

>I learn history from Sup Forums

a lot of people here aren't even old enough to have used CRT SDTV's

>Americans never had SCART
>Had true RGB picture as a norm growing up

>personally i watch TV on a 22" CRT TV for half of my life, i couldn't care less about 4K OLED 46" TVs...
Sup Forums hipsters are the worst.

only a fucking newfag would worry about something like this

what, me worry?

Digitalisation and a disregard for backwards compatibility happened.

It has a lot to do with it, dumbass. If ((they)) wanted to use this as a medium to hurd sheep, this would be a great way to get everyone to buy shitloads of them. I mean look at how many people flock to the stores to buy the latest and greatest tv's. Shit there are 6 tv's in my house alone, not including comuter monitors and mobile devices.

why did you buy six tvs?

You sound literally retarded, its no surprise you still use a CRT.

OLED wont take off because Samsung didn't invest. Simple as that.

Unfortunately, QLED is shitty in comparison.

>I mean yeah, we switched from console TV's to regular CRT's but that was about it.
what did he mean by this?

NTSC was so rubbish.