When was the last time you felt like you did something "really cool" with your PC?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming
youtu.be/dQwrUMDS_iw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

literally every time I use macOS

i posteded on 4chann

when i realize that half the programs i run are scripts i wrote myself

When I got X Window applications to run on Windows, so I didn't have to make a Linux partition to run a basic logic tester program for my EE class.

Configuring awesome WM, I don't know why but seeing the source for things, changing it and having it work is always so satisfying

Running PlayOnLinux and witnessing that pretty much any of my older windows programs and games rum perfectly with it

Cemu is really cool

it is

I've been meddling with some basic NLP lately which has been cool to see actually working

I want to make my own search engine and have some ideas for how to do it differently than how I've seen it implemented. I used to work for companies that revolved around search of one type or another (nothing big at all, and I'd be surprised if you've heard of their names).

Basically, they have all maintained two databases for holding their search results: a document storage engine and a proper SQL database. So there would be setups like Sphinx + MySQL, Elasticsearch + Postgres, or whatever. Not only were the search results poor, but the companies had to spend a lot of time and energy keeping both of these in sync at all times.

I want to see if it would make sense to have a solution that only needs one system to maintain everything, accessible through an API. I want the benefits of the document store without the redundancy. That means having to provide a quality of search results that's better than what these other companies have done before with their unoptimized Sphinx/Elasticsearch/whatever engines.

One of the ways to do that is to categorize results. I have a wide variety of documents that I'm using for training using Naive Bayes, which is basically just counting frequencies of words under given labels (eg: say you know about three types of books: computer science, math, and writing. If you see a description for a book that has the words "algorithm" and "programmer", the first would signal comp sci and math, but "programmer" would signal just comp sci, so the book would be most likely to be about computer science, and would be classified as such).

Categorization is a big step into getting a faster and more accurate search result than just trying to compare the user's search query to whatever shows up in the target document's body

To get a bit more into NLP, too: when using the bayes method, you're counting words. To make this more accurate, I'm processing the parts of speech and extracting the root words based on the part of speech, then comparing those. Only if they're nouns, verbs, adjectives, or adverbs, though, because those have the most "data" within them and can be used to find results based on thesaurus lookup for better results (eg: I look for "college", I should probably see "school" too, though not anywhere near "college" if enough results for those exist)

OP said "cool" not "gay".

There's nothing more cool than shooting pool with a stool

OP said "cool" with a computer, not your brain.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming

I had sex with a woman I met on IRC. Checking it naked on camera before of course.

Set up my iSCSI traffic between freenas and vm server to use its own subnet and interfaces, increasing performance by a fuckload.

Was more difficult than I thought it would be.

Got a shitty Chromebook from 2014. Installed GalliumOS on it. Use it for taking notes at school with pandoc. Not a big deal.

Lately, though, I've been getting work writing web-scrapers, so I figured I needed a better work set up. I have a home server that's running Seafile, radicale, CUPS, and a few other things in KVM VMs. I share internet with my neighbor, so I don't have access to my router, so I can't port forward to make it available when I'm away from home, so I rented a VPS for $10/yr, connect to it by OpenVPN, and have it route everything to my server.

So, I make a VM on the home server for a development environment. Give it 8 jigaboos of RAM and 4 virtual processors from an i5-4770k. Storage is RAID10 of some middle of the road HDDs. So, it's modestly powerful, and far more powerful than my shat Chromebook.

Set up my Chromebook with an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, and wired gigabit connection to the home server. Got spice working for a smooth remote desktop. Shit, spice even supports multiple displays now, so I've got two monitors running on this VM. Gives me a decent work set up when I'm at home, and if I'm away from home, I can remote it and do my work on the powerful machine. Spice is honestly good enough that you don't even notice you're using it over WAN unless you're watching videos.

Now, here's the cool part: after I got all this shit set up, instead of continuing developing and making money, I've been using it to shitpost more efficiently on Sup Forums.

The first time I set up 3 screens on my computer five years ago.

when iI issued the poweroff command, waited for it to shut down and turned the switch on the power supply.

can you share some?

Little confused here, what is the purpose of the VPS if you have a server at home?

I am not really tech savy compared to the rest of g, but I did think it was pretty cool when I was installing a bunch of new HDDs and changing some of their raid, putting in a fan controller, and installing some cosmetic things to my case.

dude, I compile everything from source, every week is a new escapade into teleportation and japanese swordsmanship lmao.
I like to keep the beginner mindset so I will praise the coolest thing I've seen, that inspired me. Basically someone posted about how someone made a 'shm' script to make their vms run at ~1ms latency from hardware. And still more -- the screenshot showed they were using ratpoison wm. I don't even know what a shim script is, and that wm looks fucking insane, but I'd say from my standpoint; that is pretty much the equivalent of going super saiyan on your PC in terms of being comfortable manipulating your pc.

My neighbor controls the router for the internet connection we share. I don't feel like contacting him every time I need a port opened for inbound connections to my server. The firewall on that router (as most do) allows all outbound traffic. I rented the VPS so I could have a static IP (not a necessity, but simplifies things), and to have a way to route inbound connections to my home server without being blocked by the router's firewall.

For use on the local network, I don't need the VPS at all, so I set NetworkManager to automatically adjust my hosts file based on what network I'm on. (/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d is a cool little thing to play with). My domain is directed directly to the server when on my home network and routed through the VPS when I'm away.

When I'm away from home, I don't have to change any configuration settings, but I can still access Seafile, CUPS, my VMs, etc without needing to open any ports up on the router or regularly update my DNS records.

I also forward ports for other people. My buddy needed SSH to his computer, but he lives in shared housing with community internet. So, I connected him to the VPN and forwarded a port on my VPS to his machine's port 22.

As a side note, I actually turn off encryption for OpenVPN and rely on the underlying protocols to protect the data in transit. Anyone have any thoughts on why that's a bad idea? Everything I use has TLS or, in the case of SSH, inbuilt encryption forced.

Depends on what you think is really cool...

In college, I cross-compiled gnu gcc, binutils, etc... for a Motorola 6811 microprocessor college project system, and also wrote a C program to solve a college course problem and submitted it as an alternative solution. I got great grades in the course and it was very fun.

I thought it was amazing that I learned to write assembly first, but then could write C code that generated that assembly really nicely.

You don't know the feeling when the C language is a luxury item.

A couple months ago I built a shitty beowulf cluster with 4 Dell Optiplex machines retired from my uncles business and a cheap network switch I found in a junk bin at a pawn shop. Shit was fun.

When I solved a programming issue and the program ran like it was supposed to. Hard work is truly satisfying. Troubleshooting an issue always makes my mind orgasm extra hard.

Did the same thing recently with 12 x quad core i5 Optiplexes. That's 48 x 3.3Ghz cores.

Was just too expensive to keep it running and I didn't have anything to do with it. I still have all the hardware if I ever think of something.

must be nice to have to pay next to nothing for electricity

Try dwm then, you reconfigure by changing the header file and recompiling. Only really tenable if you use a source based distro though.

I've tried it in the past, but after compiling and reloading into it none of the keyboard motions worked, I couldn't open terminal or anything. I didn't get any compile errors though so I'm not quite sure where to go from there. Maybe one day I'll pick it up again

What software did you use to cluster them?

486 times

Cucked the normalfaggot chad.
I was fixing his gfs laptop and ended up fucking her. Who's the nerd now chad ? You fucking fag

>got paid with pussy instead of money
You're the one that got cucked out of your money, user. Chad probably doesn't even care.

Superhot VR

ordered cool ranch doritos™ off of amazon the other day

When I figured out how to tab backwards without any help.

It's shift-tab

Cos you are shifting the tab. You were tabbing, but if you shift the tab, it goes backward.

Bet not all of you know that one.

Imagine my satisfaction. No mause is required.

You're cute user

weeeeeeew

You too

youtu.be/dQwrUMDS_iw

Made a cianigger free video about meltdown and Spectre conspiracies

POL is fucking dead you moron.

Get with the times.

I switched around all the keycaps on my keyboard to encrypt my communication. It's basically indetectable.

Kill yourself

A few days ago i got Arch Linux running on my notebook and learned a ton about linux based operating systems in the process.

too long ago

>POL is fucking dead you moron.

?

Running Space Engine blew my mind

what the fuck is that niggers face

no

it's ctrl + shift + tab to go backwards

Installed Void first time no problems on my laptop. Not the best but the latest.

I haven't used it since though (but then I don't use that laptop)

Just now hit 50% accuracy on CIFAR-10 object classification with a convolutional net, still a ways to go but it feels good to optimize it for my 1070 and use all that 16GB of RAM.

I signed the cmos memory by changing two bytes to my initials, and I didnt brick my computer.
Didnt have any particular reason for doing so, but I thought it would be cool.

fixed a corrupted bios

Installed quemm and got +600 mem in lowmem

Yes I am an idiot

When I Librebooted my Thinkpads.

RTL-SDR

Adjusted idle rpm of the 1.9 TDI 1Z engine in my old passat using Ross Tech VAG Com

USB multibooted a recovery drive and then saved lost memory.
Pretty fucking rad.

I jizzed on my RAM before. Is that cool?

>Is that cool?
jizz doesn't help with cooling the ram

repurpose your rtl-sdr for random number generation.

I was making a homebrew game for the Nintendo DS. I thought that was cool

Kind of cleaned my laptop fan with a paper towel.

now I need to make a work setup as well
thanks cunt

He never said he did it yesterday

3D printed a part for my 3D printer with my 3D printer

every time i run a command that begins with the word `guix'
the last was a couple hours ago with # guix system disk-image --system=armhf-linux -e "(@ (gnu system install) beaglebone-black-installation-os)"

user was right. you're talking to switch applications. he was talking to tab through fields within an application

Natural Language Processing is pretty interesting

Simulated 3D electromagnetic structures with the rigorous coupled wave analysis method.

made a computer purely out of scrap parts from my uni's dumpster and made it into an ssh server to be used a personal cloud

re purposing every single part to be used again feels pretty good to me.

>Was more difficult than I thought it would be
I too imagine this should be simple. Change the address on the scussi interfaces and the esxi interfaces, and plop them into the same network. What went wrong?

you could probably mine monero fairly efficiently with that desu

Had a course with the same approach. First Op codes, to appreciate Assembly and Assembly to appreciate C. Sounds tiresome but was really interesting

What is your vps provider?

This.
Those were the days with lots of changes and new shit to discover every day

turning my laptop into a comfy desktop machine with a dock

2 screens and a proper mouse + keyboard is still the best way to "work"

It is his face? and you?

yes it's within an application too retard

It is?

past ps2 era. Friend comes over with bunch of ps2 games. Because he wants to play "real games". I inserted the disk in the pc. And started up the emulator. It didn't run flawlessly but it made my friend grinning face go "wow".

>X Window
what app? can u show me?

Wow. You are some kind of gifted stupid.

echo "lelelelelelelelelel" | sed ':again ; s/\(.\)\(.*\)\1/\2/; t again ; s/^.\?$/TRUE/; t ; s/.*/FALSE/'
By 'did' I mean 'found'.

I glued a spoiler to my desktop once.

3 rupees had been added to your account

бyмп!

When I installed Atom - the hackable text editor.

No development on version 5 since forever. Dead project, switch to an alternative

See