Is Seagate REALLY all that bad?

Is Seagate REALLY all that bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/240306/western-digital-ships-someones-backdoor-with-my-cloud-drives
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

In my personal opinion, no. I've had more WD drives fail than Seagate drives. That said, my sample size is nowhere near large enough to predict trends in the whole market.
Either way, performance is a total non-issue. SSDs are the only option for high performance storage.

No
Only ones I've seen fail in my possession are OEM-branded drives (Toshiba et al)

>single platters
You have nothing to worry about.

>high quality PSU
>line conditioner/UPS
>limit excessive spin-down/spin-up cycles
>avoid physical stress like bumps and temperature variation
Follow all these things and you'll have a low failure rate regardless of what brand you use

I just bought a used seagate 300mb scsi for my se/30. I hope it lasts.

Also, all my hard drives are seagate now.

I'm "all in" as they say for several years. No issues yet.

techpowerup.com/240306/western-digital-ships-someones-backdoor-with-my-cloud-drives
A daily reminder.
Always.
Forever.

>limit excessive spin-down/spin-up cycles
>avoid physical stress like bumps and temperature variation

How?

Are the 3, 4 and 6TBs safe?

Won't they fail faster since they have more platters?

4 and 6 absolutely fine. 3 is garbage.
Best are 4 and 8, though. Then 16. 10 are shitty too.

Why is that? Why are some good and others bad?
Explain, user.

QA fluctuates between sizes massively. And it's everyone, not just Seagate or Western Digital. 1.5 and 3 had shittiest QA ever.

Nope.
They've become more reliable over the years.

No, There are failures with every brand. I have personally never had a seagate fail but I've lost two WD drives.

I don't understand guys how your hdd can break. I have mine since 7 years even more and it's still works normally

>Works on my machine(tm)

Just bad luck. I've had a 1.5TB WD Black, a 1TB WD Blue 2.5, and a 2TB Seagate Enterprise Value die randomly on me.

Why does Seamengate brothers shilling here? Everybody with a braincell buys toshiba anyways

Depends on what you do with it and other factors. Are you using it as a scrub drive? How often is it accessed? Are you moving it often because you're using an external dock? Did manufacturing shit the bed when making the batch your drive belongs to?

Seagate is fine. They had a bad batch of 1.5TBs a while back and that's where most of the bad reputation comes from.
Hard drives fail. They all fail. They fail at roughly 3% every year- As in if you have a hundred drives, 3 of them will fail every year.
If you have one drive, it could last for many years, or it could die tomorrow. I love the data gamble. Back up your shit!

It's not just the 1.5TB drives, it was also the entire line of Barracuda 7200.11 drives. Those were awful.

I don't care what anyone says, I'm never buying Seagate again.

I had 2x 3TB Seagate drives die within a year of purchase, both 1 week apart from each other. Meanwhile all my other drives have been working perfectly fine for over a decade now.

constantly powered
temperature controlled environment
shock dampeners

Only drive I ever had fail ever EVER was a Seagate. I never bought another one.

Its just in my. Computer. Not moving, I use this computer pretty much everyday for playing or working

configure your OS to never spin down the hdd while powered on. windows is particularly stupid for this default power options will do hundreds of cycles a week for no reason

Yes.

uh you stupid fuck

the shitty 3tb model from seagate wasn't the same barracuda model we have today. the seagate in your pic is the barracuda model we have today

Same shit,
just different sticker.

I've been rocking an external 1tb seagate ever since 2013 and while the connection can be finnicky sometimes it never gave me an error or fucked up my files. could just be luck though

how is it the same shit if they're using different components and the current barracuda model has the lowest failure rate of any model from other manufacture?

and what about other brands ?

Fucking harddrive that takes 2 gigs of space and you can only store 500GB on it.
What a waste.