When will technology inevitably enslave us all?

When will technology inevitably enslave us all?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telenoid_R1).
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Probably when you stop being such a fucking faggot so never.

It already has. What makes you think you aren't.

Well, this is the objective of proprietary technology.

This. It's already extremely difficult to get truly free hardware, and while there is a LOT of free software out there, some categories (such as video games) are very lacking when it comes to free software.

It began with the TV, user. Years ago...

Rite now U Nigger cattle L.O.L

We are already slaves to our technology.

Well, you're here, what does that tell you?

It began with the books, user. Years ago...
>...for this discovery of yours [writing] will create forgetfulness in the learners’ souls, because they will not use their memories; they will trust to the external written characters and not remember of themselves.
>Plato, putting words in the mouth of Socrates in Phaedrus.
every generation does the usual "new generation a shit" "old generation a shit" crap
edgefags think this is something new

>us
Only the normals my friend

Slaves

This is a real problem

Nothing to do with technology

Maybe blockchain could help fix, blockchain global ID or similar

Now.

and especially /thread

>When will technology inevitably enslave us all?
>smartphone
>smartwatch
>smart TV
>home assistant
>desktop
>laptop
>internet-connected car
>soon-to-be IoT and smart houses
We already are.

As a student of philosophy of technology, I no longer see pieces of technology and devices as tools that we use, rather they are actors in their own right in our society. Actors to which we relegate our decision-making. Take for example the traffic light, no longer do we decide when to stop and go, we go when it's green and we stop when it's red, we are completely reliant on that particular actor for those two decisions.

Some currents within the field believe that technology grows despite us or what we may decide. I'm on the fence there, I do believe technology does not have limits of growth and it will grow and expand as much as it can into whatever field it can (that's why we're seeing IoT everything), but I do believe Humans have a little say in which gets developed first, but only in regards to where resources/labour get allocated, i.e. in which technologies to invest to make a profit. Sometimes not even this is true, as we develop technologies that do not have immediate applications or become profitable.

All of this reliance on technological actors has been changing the way humans interact with technology and also with one another. This is most noticeable in robotics and human-to-computer-to-human interfaces. They develop robots that are fluffy, can purr and hug to alleviate the loneliness old people in nursing homes may feel, yet they do not consider practical humane alternatives, such as placing kindergartens next to nursing homes, the presence of children has been shown to improve the life of the elderly. We also have robots that act as stand-ins for humans in remote places, such as the Telenoid (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telenoid_R1). This will inevitably lead to people deciding to spend more time apart, because they will have a 'replacement'.

nice blog
>As a student of philosophy of technology,
figures
get a real degree, libartfag

This. For some aliens observing us it would surely look like we served those devices, not the other way around.

>get a real degree, libartfag
You mean like my degree in physics? Yeah, I decided not to pursue a pure science career and decided I want to go the humanities route because it suits me better. My current degree offers me way more possibilities than working at some physics/materials/tech lab under a researcher or for a big company.
>hating on History and Philosophy of Technology on a Technology board
The absolute state of Sup Forums. You need not look past Kuhn, who has a PhD in physics yet he opted to pursue philosophy of science and teach/write on the subject. Lakatos has a degree in physics and mathematics and Feyerabend who switched from physics to philosophy of science.

Don't get meme'd into what are 'real degrees' and what aren't. I spent four years working my ass learning quantum mechanics, advanced mathematical methods in physics, working in the lab until the early hours of the morning, staying up all night before the test because 95% is an A, and if you don't get at 3.0 GPA you can kiss any prospects goodbye, my health and mental well-being suffered, all so I could get a 'real degree' with a 3.0+ GPA. And then after I got my degree I was honest with myself and finally accepted that I hated what I did and decided to pursue a different course and now I'm in such a good place in my life and I don't really care if people look down on history and philosophy, I enjoy it, I enjoy reading about it and I enjoy writing about it.

Yeah, which in a way we do serve technology. Technology requires human labour (both mental and physical) to advance, and humans are willing to give it. Just look at open source / GPL / BSD projects, it's people putting in their time in for free only to advance technology further.

So i am confuse
Technology is tools
Maybe buzzword
Corporate lingo
Spiritual technology
A device
A hueristic
Technology is things to streamline,automate, make easier for humans
So at what piont does the persuit of technology become and inefficient use of energy?
People harken back to simpler times. And them being less complicated.
Maybe too general of scope.
But maybe its all inter connected
Military technology
Space flight technology
Transportation technology
Entertainment technology
Home technology
Contruction technology
Medical technology
Digital technology
Analogue technology
Wireless technology
Crypto technology
Emerging technology
Do these operate independently of each other or do they hold some correlation?

isnt tech suppose to make our lifes better?

technology = technical knowledge

It's all 'Technology'.

So is having a kid and raising them like a parent considered technology?

Do devices teach humans or do humans teach devices?

Technical knowledge
Mechanical
Tech root is?
What is artifact?
Man made
Root word art
Does art imitate nature?
What is nature
Can nature be art?
Agriculture
Culture
Cultivate
Accumulate
Can nature be technology?
Evolution perhaps
What is force behind that?
Is selection technical knowledge?

it already did user
just read the unabombers manifesto

language enslaves us.... but so do tones, and everything else.

its just human nature to become tolerant of technology.. if you had to do without a technology you would see why it was invented.... and then use it again, but better!

i think that if we could fully automate "work" and then microdose chemicals to motivate us to work out mentally and physically , we could live longer.. possibly forever.

like if we could all just road bikes, instead of drive... it would be a lot of better... if youve never ridden a road bike, you wouldnt understand, but you clip your shoes into the pedals.... its a lot better... so you can easily pedal 20 miles both ways in like a couple hours if your out of shape... your body needs to work out, or its just not good..

but i cant even ride my bike anywhere because its so dangerous, and noisy!

and everyone would see each other. and it would be nice.... cars should be illegal imo, like even fully automated , people are just going build really comfortable coffins.. and then walk around with these mean looks on their faces while they die inside.

It already has.