Macs are a third as expensive to own as Windows PCs, IBM's IT guy says

>Macs are a third as expensive to own as Windows PCs, IBM's IT guy says

>Last year, he became a cult figure of sorts in the world of enterprise IT. As IBM's vice president of Workplace as a Service, Previn is the guy responsible for turning IBM, the company that invented the PC, into an Apple Mac house.

>Previn gave a great presentation at last year's Jamf tech conference in which he said Macs were less expensive to support than Windows. (Jamf is a company that makes software that manage fleets of Macs and iOS devices.) Only 5% of IBM's Mac employees needed help-desk support, versus 40% of PC users.

>At that time, some 30,000 IBM employees were using Macs. Today 90,000 of them are, he said. And IBM ultimately plans to distribute 150,000 to 200,000 Macs to workers, meaning about half of IBM's approximately 370,000 employees will have Macs.

>He reiterated that, in his experience, Mac users needed less help. Though Macs make up about 15% of the PCs in use, only 5% of the help desk is dedicated to supporting them.

>Previn said that while a Mac initially cost $117 to $454 more than a similarly configured Windows PC, over four years IBM saves $273 to $543 per Mac compared with a similarly configured Windows PC.

Is he right, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

mashable.com/2014/12/10/u2-ipod-ebay/#b.D94JZPViqt
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/z-AKUCW9z3QIuaU6QRbRHg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/_glUELz4vv9hjRZ8x1cIKg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/VNbuaDIfThMAlAASqaI0Kw/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/epKkMUP2mAJphUDLwAIY4w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/llF-zz9URlbvsF7nE4mG0w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/LDMvhb3n444ISJRI9u7YZQ/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/uskkuBo91wIlsRF2wxGiLg
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/cqSr-2OIIrWCcTMw_U-HEw/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

When I try post the link I get a spam error but just google the first line.

but they cost twice as much to buy

Yes windows is becoming obsolete. No one even wants to use it anymore. Only gamers keep it alive. Office even runs on mac now so theres no need to even use windows anymore.

It makes a lot of sense. It really depends what you're doing. What tools, software you need, and how much it costs when things go wrong.

A company like IBM isn't going to hang around when things break. They will replace a broken laptop immediately, pay for any training needed from the get-go, and buy the best software to suit their needs. The real costs of owning a laptop may well make a basic macbook more cost effective than a crappy Windows laptop.

Does this apply to home users? Once again, it depends. If you're happy on Windows and you think you're saving money then do the calculation. Maybe you are. I'd say most Sup Forums users will save money on a Windows machine, but most of us are willing to spend more personal time fixing stuff and less real money on fixing problems.

>Previn said that while a Mac initially cost $117 to $454 more than a similarly configured Windows PC, over four years IBM saves $273 to $543 per Mac compared with a similarly configured Windows PC.

I'm curious about how quickly old people and normies adapt to mac.

I could tell you right now that if I were to buy my dad a brand new mac right now he'd get frustrated over the littlest of things on it and then never touch it again, but my dad is particularly shitty with learning computers. I'm sure that the minimize/maximize/close window buttons being on the left side of the screen would get him into a fit.

Does Apple really want all of these stupid people moving over to their platform? I don't think Apple buyers are smart or great people, but I think they're smarter than the typical old person/normie. That's why they don't need technical support as much.

PCs are the most popular so of course PC users will statistically need more help. That doesn't mean PC is shit

This is within IBM though. So when 5% of Mac users need help but 40% of windows users do, that’s big.

Are you bad at reading?

>He reiterated that, in his experience, Mac users needed less help. Though Macs make up about 15% of the PCs in use, only 5% of the help desk is dedicated to supporting them.

Macs are pricier, and people who buy them often have higher education.
Buying them for dumb office drones won't help much.

>that Gender Studies degree totally helped me fix my Mac

I don't know. We got some new dell lattitudes at my work and they cost 1800+ in the configurations we got.

MACFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

It's a contract, no wonder apple cost cheaper. There's a hospital where i live here replace shitty asus by ordering like 100 of lenovo thinkcenter and thinkpad.

This is why I switched to Mac.

Because of an ugly brown woman?

if they got macs, less people would die

>Previn said that while a Mac initially cost $117 to $454 more than a similarly configured Windows PC
doubt it.

nigga wtf are you smoking normies and old people ARE the mac market

>IBM talking about personal computer

it still itches does it?

>Mac
>Shit tier women
it's all making sense

except that Applel is going to kill the mac
what a fucktard. invest money, resources, and training into a dead-end system

who is this nutella?

No. They certainly won’t kill the Mac. Why would they kill a profit generating business?

I said *often*. And all these Gender Studies people at least ended high school.
The only Apple device I ever touched was an old Apple II in the eighties, in a demo class for a BASIC course by a private teacher.
I fall in case of , Sup Forums user saving money with Xubuntu, Windows 10 activated through accessibility free upgrade/DAZ Loader on Windows 7, self assembled PC and LibreOffice and GIMP (I don't need Photoshop to make images to shitpost).
Velma is the sweet spot, when will people learn?

the typical normie is too cheap to buy a mac and the salesman at Best Buy isn't going to recommend one to them when their budget is only $800 and all they know is Windows.

All of those numbers are wrong and its based on enterprise customers requiring technical support which is calculated based on software and hardware. Almost no enterprise customers use macs for anything of importance so this figures are not even close to accurate. Not to mention that mac simply does not even offer professional grade tools for laboratory equipment or engineers.

considering the current state of windows yes he is right

>No. They certainly won’t kill the Mac
Are you paying attention?
Applel is pulling OSX guys to move them to iOS. They are treating MacOS like a backwater.
Sure it makes money, but for the same capital investment in mac, they could make 3x as much money with iShit.

Applel never wanted anyone to have general purpose computers. They always wanted the crApp store walled garden paradigm.

Mac is already dead, just some people don't know it.

Well, that's kinda retarded.

What I would do:

- Set up own support desk.
- Give all employees a PC and tell them to contact support if they encounter any problems.
- After 3 months let the support desk compile a list of all employees who asked dumb shit - anyone on the list is automatically fired.

Does this take into account loss of productivity or that Mac-users generally stop calling helpdesk since helpdesk never knows how the fuck a mac works?

IBM guy on IBM-Apple collaboration in press conference software to mananger Mac OS for bussiness.

Sure total no bias.

I get where the idea is coming from, but it's a mystery to me how in the world 40% of PC users in an IT company can require help-desk support.

I've been working in multiple offices and there never were any problems with uniformly set up work PCs. Is an IT giant incapable of achieving that?

No shit you dumb nigger. Maybe that's because most of those Mac users opted into the test program at IBM so they're used to Macs.

Learn about confounding factors, retard.

Can I already disable acceleration in Mac without installing 3rd party HID driver?

It's always bizarre how people say Macs are overpriced then fail to build something similarly specced so they end up taking massive shortcuts. It's like that iMac Pro thing, I saw tons of people saying "just use an 8700K" not realizing why a workstation would use a Xeon or need ECC memory.

>the head of IT at IBM is wrong, I am right

So far you haven’t presented any evidence they will kill the Mac.

This is why you aren’t in charge of a large corporation.

>Maybe that's because most of those Mac users opted into the test program at IBM so they're used to Macs.
Ar you implying the vast majority of people working at IBM have never used a PC before? Because I'm guessing most people there are "used" to PC's, at least as much as the Macfags in the survey were used to Macs.

Yes. I'm saying that the vast majority of PC owners don't use this PC for anything more than web browsing.

They'll have trouble leaning ANY OS when it comes time to work.

Had such experiment.

Had found 2006 MacBook pro to be easier that his PC.

He's crap at computers.

>So far you haven’t presented any evidence they will kill the Mac.
it's everywhere
With the exception of a bump when they (finally) release a new Mac, market share is decreasing.

Mac is on life support. Next bump in the road might be the end of it. Applel has a history of abandoning products.

How many billions of dollars are wasted on IT support helping braindead boomers?

Not to mention I bet he started on the technically proficient employees to try Macs. The people who would be interested in switching work computers would have more tech proficiency than the jerkoffs who don't care.

If you gave all the programmers Macs and compared their help desk use to the rest of the company, all it shows is that the programmers use helpdesk less than everyone else.

>Mac is already dead, just some people don't know it.
This.

>IBM, the company that invented the PC

IBM didn't invent the personal computer, Steve Wozniak did.

Intel and all of the recent security issues with MacOS are certainly not helping the situation.

>it's everywhere

Then fucking give some.

So far you have given ZERO.

>declining market share
Wrong, pic related. And bear in mind Mac market share is exclusively high end computers while PC includes 200$ pajeet street shitting machines

Also,

>Apple has a history of abandoning products

The only one that comes to mind is the iPod, which was replaced by the vastly superior iPhone.

For them to replace the Mac, they would first have to have something vastly superior to replace it.

>iPod, which was replaced by the vastly superior iPhone.
just no

Dad*

>just released the iMac Pro
>new Mac Pro with modularity is an open secret at this point
You realize releasing a brand new generation of products isn't typically a sign of a company wanting to kill something, right? When Microsoft killed the Windows Phone they didn't release new products for a long time. Apple is gearing up for new product launches.

the death of xserve was a pretty big abandonment by apple in the enterprise market.

this, it's a puff piece. IBM doesn't sell laptops anymore, but getting closer to apple for enterprise collaboration on mobility shit is part of their consulting biz

this. users in IT hardware pilots at companies are typically not a representative sample of the whole userbase. they're usually more technically proficient and willing to self help e.g. google shit or look at options.

>The only one that comes to mind is the iPod
They killed
The Apple II
The Apple IIGS
Apple III
Apple Lisa
The newton
The iPod
The iPad Mini

Not to mention that they killed the mac in all but name when they switched from PowerPC to x86; subjugating users to emulation and binary translation.

The only way I see the mac living on is with the iPhone processor. Mac may become the iPad Pro Plus keyboard edition or something, with emulated, sandboxed, vm for running some approved 'legacy' mac applications that are sold through the App store.

>You realize releasing a brand new generation of products isn't typically a sign of a company wanting to kill something, right?

>For them to replace the Mac, they would first have to have something vastly superior to replace it.

what's a computer

>iPhone
>superior to iPod

Of course he is right.

Apple Support is why people find it easier to use a Mac. Your Hardware breaks, you can go to the Apple Store to fix it. You don't understand how your macbook works, call them about it

Most of the time IT Support to the fufill the void for Microsoft doesn't provide support to. Quite a few users who call IT Support asking them to educate them about how Windows work.

Must be fun living in an echochamber, isn't it?

>So far you haven’t presented any evidence they will kill the Mac.
Where can I buy a Mac server?

This is why? So you switched to Macs because you were bothering IT too much with your brainlet problems? Anyone who isn't using an IT department to solve their problems is just stuck with the higher bill on the time of purchase.

>The Apple II
>The Apple IIGS
>Apple III
>Apple Lisa
>The newton

Replaced by Mac

>iPod

Replaced by iPhone

>iPad mini

Still exists

>iPod
>replaced by iPhone
bit of a stretch given cost for flash storage

>iPad mini
they're still selling it but no hardware refresh since 2015, the Apple A8 CPU in it at this point is a dog and 1GB is fucking miserly to run modern iOS versions, it's a bastard child heading towards retirement

iPod is obsolete, why have an iPod when all modern phones fulfill the same purpose?

because some people want a device that isn't a communications device to play music. the iPod touch achieves this as an iPhone without a cellular modem. however, they sporadically refresh the iPod touch and with the older processors in it, as full fledged iOS gets updated the iPod touch runs shittier and shittier. whereas the other models of iPod ran with the same great performance on the day you got them and 10 years later, it would perform the same, just as fast.

the iPod touch on a storage capacity perspective is also not price competitive, $299 for 128GB is a joke, especially without expandable storage, and the fact that the 160GB iPod Classic was $349 in 2007, the 128GB iPod Touch is basically the same performance per dollar.

tim cook even admitted it wasn't a question of the ipod touch or iphone being a proper replacement but just economics
mashable.com/2014/12/10/u2-ipod-ebay/#b.D94JZPViqt
>The iPod classic was discontinued in September, and Apple CEO Tim Cook said in October that the decision was made because the company "couldn't get the parts anymore, not anywhere on Earth."
>"The engineering work was massive, and the number of people who wanted it very small," Cook said at the WSJ.D Conference. "I felt there were reasonable alternatives."

for the gym probably

It may also have something to do with the overall shitness of the IBM standard PC build when I worked for them - Notes, Sametime, Open Office, IBM's shitty software deployment tool, flaky software for doing Claim timesheets and so on. Also, the first time fix success from the helpdesk was very low, even after doing the needful.
>A company like IBM isn't going to hang around when things break
I waited 11 days to get my T440 screen replaced by IBM hardware support at the South Bank office, despite the client I was working at having next day on-site with Lenovo

Mac greatly limits your options. The Windows deployment standards are wide but so are hardware targets and ways to fuck it up.

yea not surprising. Windows is a fucking terrible OS and destroys your hardware.
anything, even sloppily based on unix is going to run much smoother

>the typical normie is too cheap
Then why do so many college normies by macbooks?

>IBM-Apple collaboration talking head
>VP of the WaaS meme
No one gives a shit about him and his ivory tower opinions
t. IBMer

the typical normie does not go to college user.

>ugly

Gay.

Not an argument, ECC or the Xeon is not needed for any Mac Software.

are you a pajeet?

I don't think they're amazing in business but for personal machines they cannot be beaten.

>Mac users need less help
Actually very true.

It's so dumbed down that even a fucking rhesus monkey can use it. Apple really did the "users are fucking morons" thing well.

That's what happens when they start hiring for diversity rather than intelligence.

The new modular Mac Pro coming out this year is going to be ungodly expensive. Since they can't use proprietary hardware, they have to use actual server hardware. Meaning everything has to triple in price, so expect over $10K starting.

IBM has been doing it since the 1930s

Reminder to report this iToddler shill for spamming and ban evasion.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/z-AKUCW9z3QIuaU6QRbRHg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/_glUELz4vv9hjRZ8x1cIKg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/VNbuaDIfThMAlAASqaI0Kw/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/epKkMUP2mAJphUDLwAIY4w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/llF-zz9URlbvsF7nE4mG0w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/LDMvhb3n444ISJRI9u7YZQ/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/uskkuBo91wIlsRF2wxGiLg
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/cqSr-2OIIrWCcTMw_U-HEw/

Apple garbage being for poorfags is not news.

no they are not. thats the iphone market.

>create the machines that make the holocost feasible
>still not edgy enough just another globalist with dyed hair according to Nu Right

the touch ipods are garbage. the only good model is the one with a big hdd.

>destroys your hardware
>being this dumb

He is coming at this from a company perspective, so you have to keep that in mind.

He is also factoring help desk time as money, an hour of help desk time is a cost of $50 or whatever, which means you only get this saving if you fire help desk staff.

Chink. We are all chinks here

>90 replies
Thanks for the (You)s neckbeards. Sup Forums is too fucking easy.

I'm curious what's so different about two GUI OSes that leads to a 35% support discrepancy.
The article doesn't bother to actually mention anything despite this being a key point that the whole premise is built upon.

They gave the Macs solely to execs and office workers that use only Word and Outlook.
All technical job employees still use PCs.

sounds about right. Glad I didn't waste the effort to looking how they played the numbers.

they have been the normie machine for ages. old colleges think in getting a mac, as it was easy as fuck for them handling the macs compared to today's windows machines

it used to be said, when it came to corporate IT procurement, that you could never be fired by buying IBM, its the safe choice. Nowadays, it could possible be said that due to Apple's cultural cachet, this IT guy is making the same kind of calculation. He has some sociocultural methods to defend his procurement choices as well, no just simple hard numbers. Fucking up IT procurement at IBM would be a big deal so this may be his play for job security.

>iPhone filename
You shills are too obvious

I have trouble understanding how it's """easier""" aside from empty marketing

Both OSes have been reduced to caveman simplicity, literally click on icon in tray, select action from top menu.

Fuck this "study" is horseshit. If they were actually moving to Mac then that means they did transition work prior to fucking plopping people on Apple plastic shitboxes. Not having critical applications only function in Internet Explorer 4.0 goes a long way to solving dipshit support calls. Having a service work cross platform helps drive out code spaghet and leads to less crashing overall. The fact Mac is involved is irrelevant. It could be forced BSD and it would have yielded the same results.

>the people using mac only use it to check Facebook and emails
>The people using PC have 50 applications they use constantly, vm configurations, databases, IDEs
>Le Mac is easier to support!!!

>Jamf tech conference

Of course he would say that at a Jamf conference.

Like having a presentation at MS Ignite syaing SCCM is bad.

100% this.

b-tards infect Sup Forums and cry about the shitty MacBooks their mommies bought them for Christmas.