Why doesn't Sup Forums like good sound...

Why doesn't Sup Forums like good sound? You guys will sperg all day about Shit vs Fio headphone accessories but actual audio threads are basically unheard of except for dumpster dived used receivers from the 70s with dried up coffee grounds all over the innards. Or some horribly distorted sounding honky horns with mildew-encrusted drivers.

Let's have an actual audio thread for once. By which is meant: modern, high quality gear.

Other urls found in this thread:

noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR308/
chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/d/polk-audio-rmpiece-surround/6416157760.html
therationalaudiophile.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/kii-three/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i wanna pair of good home theater speakers. Probably $3K for just the speakers. Martin Logan, Definitive, or something else?

For HT it doesn't really matter much - you're after "punch" and "sparkle"; technical measurements like distortion/FR curves are kinda irrelevant (within reasonable limits).

Polk is fine, probably the RTi series. You can assemble the whole shebang for like $1600. Dialog will be super clear and you can pick 'em up anywhere. Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

If they're doing double duty as music speakers then I'd say worry about it a bit more.

>[picture_of_HEDD_monitor.png]

>If they're doing double duty as music speakers then I'd say worry about it a bit more.
they are though.

Lsr 305s or 308s? I could get a referwnce woofer too if it comes down to blown out bass

They both hiss like crazy. Don't use for nearfield

>They both hiss like crazy
What do you mean by hiss? Audible noise?

I had Epos Epic 2 for like a week good sound but soft not enough punch for my music. Sold them on

Now I see pretty high end setups with them and my current speakers are miles better. Did I do good? Or are Epic 2 meme tier.

Positioning and room properties are a big deal with speakers. As long as what you have now works under those conditions that's what matters. Too many people put the cart before the horse.

yes,even when no sources are connected, only power. hiss comes from the amps. if your ears are less than 3ft away from the monitors, you'll probably hear hiss.

do any of you guys have any vintage audio gear?

>vintage
"Vin" is the french word for wine, a few rare wines improve with some age

Speakers do not improve with age, in fact they get worse. Furthermore, technology has improved speaker performance and as a general rule, newer = better

In conclusion, the term you want is "used". "Thrifted", "dumpster dived", and "scavenged" may also apply.

k bro.

personally, i think vintage vinyl sounds better on vintage gear

Anyways I've already demoed the MLs. Magnolia demoes with music primarily and they sound good. It's between these and one of the Definitive Tech 9000 series speakers which I'll demo later (have to go to another store to demo). Don't like the B&W that much.

those cost much more than good headphones and require changes in the room they are in to sound best and you can never use them at comfy volume levels if you live in an apartment because some faggot will cry about it so thats a insane amount more money to get your own house. basically people here know that its better to have good headphones than speakers that will sound like shit because you dont have all the shit that operating them properly requires.

most new speakers cant do any bass. even cheap "vintage" speakers can go really low unlike those fashion garbage 4-6" driver shits that are everywhere and the only option unless you get huge floor speakers.

Headphones > speakers. This is fact.

- t. earlet

>not owning both

You have to remember, most of these guys are living in a cheap apartment if not their parents' basement, and they don't have the guts to play their shitty anime idol songs on speakers, so they convince themselves headphones are better.

>most new speakers cant do any bass
Maybe look beyond Audioengine

Doesnt worry me i just wanna know if the 308s are worse by trying to pack mors into what i gather is already a design approaching its limits

What are subwoofers? Mine play down to 17 hZ, even the old monkey coffin speakers can't do that.

noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR308/ says LSR308 is more suited for 10 ft range than nearfield

You shouldn't be mudding up your mids by pushing anything under 100hz. You should have a crossover to handle 150- 200hz range. Sub woofers are able to push lower range because of diaphragm size mids shouldn't be responsible for

False especially with headphones were you need to break the hours in so they aren't as hyped

Sure. I'm not, using a MiniDSP to crossover at 80 hZ.

Can I get a suggestion on a good DAC/Headphone combo that I can use on an Android phone? Something that is mostly balanced but has a discrete boost on the lows

Thanks user. My room is now treated and my speakers about 6 feet from any wall.

For years I had them 2 feet from wall assuming that would be enough until I reada pro review (they are Triangle Comete EX with upgrade crossover BTW).
ALl that wasted time! Hey sound like 2x better in correct position. Person I got them from had them in wrong position too.
Room now somewhat treated.

305. You can control noise to where you won't hear it at normal listening levels if you set gain correctly.

but it will sound weird when someone talks and their voice goes to the sub instead of the normal speakers.

>muh high quality gear, headphone fags get out!
>proceeds to put said high quality gear in his basement room

Might as well get $20 Genius speakers.

Headphone break in is a literal meme. There is zero evidence whatsoever of the sound itself changing, what changes is your perception of it.
You're not breaking in your headphones, you're making your brain get used to them. Letting them play some white noise for hours on end is pure placebo.
But of course you can't explain that shit to audiofools.

False assumption of word meaning. Look up a dictionary.

One of my setups. Running an older Kenwood stack @ home and a Boston set on my gaming rig along with my 1970s Pioneer headphones.

For the players - yes, this applies to some of the highest-end gear (with repairs). For the speakers themselves - definitely not.

>keeping a dogs skull and pelvis(?) in your home
put that poor animal to rest already you piece of shit

That is not a dog you mong

got a pair of motion 15s for music listening and love them, i stand by them as a quality audio company.

Yea I did really like the electrostat sound, and ML is pretty much my only option at least (electromotions aren't too expensive). It's either that or something Definitive tech.

Still gotta find time to go demo the Def Tech speakers out.

i have a def tech studio micro soundbar, and once again i stand by its quality and the company.

also i should note, i am a Best buy home theater salesman, and my store does have a Magnolia Design Center, in which we work very closely with. Any questions you have id love to try and answer.

hah you're making deciding difficult for me. it already is since the big Magnolia store in my area only has the MLs on display, and I'd have to go the other Mag store to test the Def Techs, which means I can't compare them side by side.

you consider the sonus fabers yet?

>modern, high quality gear.
it just werkz

Don't have anywhere near me to demo, so unfortunately no.

ive heard them and did enjoy them, but i do feel that the martian logans delivered better bass. I also feel def tech is more home theater focused while companies like B&W, ML, and Sonus faber are more music oriented.

The main reason i'm looking at def tech is due to the integrated giant woofers and amp, which saves some initial cost. I can probably get the highest end and have a mostly complete setup, until I decide to get 15 or 18" woofers later. I obviously still need to demo them first, and I still prefer the sound of the electrostat MLs.

I've got a logitech z906 system in my living room, is this "pleb tier"? I think spending more than +$1,000 for a sound system is just too much, this bad boy does the job quite well for much less than that.

And yeah, the MLs did have pretty good bass, even when they only have 8" woofers. Good that both the MLs and Def techs have self-powered subs.

1. why doesn't g like good sound?

most of /g doesn't have the space to house good speakers -- everything is powered nearfield shit that's shoebox sized and easy to transport, because most of /g is young and mobile

>use receivers from the 70s
some of which work just fine -- good audio isn't about snobbery -- its about finding good shit that works, and if its not expensive, so what

look at this poor fucker, recommending polk RTi
and then saying "$1600"
this is the nadir of the dumbness about audio that plagues /g

I'm op, and I was the one who recommended polk

If you "good audio" and "home theater" belong in the same sentence, well... you definitely belong on Sup Forums, that much I will say

You can get a good system for less than $150 to $200 depending on where you live. Especialy if you live in the U.S.

are you aware then that you can get gear that does good audio and HT at the same time without going anywhere near $1600?

polk is both low tier and expensive - anyone who utters polk that isn't the vintage kind (vintage polk is actually okay) is signalling they have no idea wtf is going on

He was asking for Deftech, and looking to drop $3k, he's obviously not going to scrounge around the Madisound scratch-n-dent bin and throw together a line array system with some random NOS Lowther drivers

And he's clearly itching to drop some money on something, who am I to talk him out of that.

He can go to any big box store and get Polk, and it will work fine, at half the price he was looking for.

You can unclench your anus, neckbeard. We don't have "karma points" here and you don't need to impress anyone.

There is no reason to buy anything above the jbl studio series 500.
Any other talk is simply minutia and placebo.

>He was asking for Deftech, and looking to drop $3k
That's me you retard

So go buy your Polks. This was supposed to be a "good sound" thread not a "home theater set from best buy" thread, and yet I still gave you good albeit off topic advice. You're welcome.

>not getting a whole set of Cinema series dirt cheap salvaged from a retired theater

lmao pleb

that's a lot of nice gobbledygook you just spewed but you still have no idea what you're talking about -- anyone who actually steers someone away from Definitive Technology and then turns around to recommend buying polk at MSRP and at fucking Best Buy is full retard
look at this imbecile
this place is chock full of reddit retardation

inb4 "I work at the Magnolia substore all the time"

what are the best cheap speakers for low-mid volume where I can ignore acoustics :^)

Deftech is literally a Best Buy house brand, shortbus

really? i don't hear any hissing sound from mine. i've set the gain to 7 if that matters

>gave you good albeit off topic advice
lmao fuck off retard. your thread is shit, your advice is awful, and you obviously have no idea what audiophool bulshit you're talking about

Nah, I think I'll stay. Feel free to hang out and harvest "karma points" by mentioning how you totally know how to achieve the difficult task of finding speakers for even cheaper than full MSRP at Magnolia, though.

>PM_ME_UR_BOOBIES
looks like you aren't from around here. go fuck off back to where you came from

Insignia Bookshelves. Only the vintage 2017 kind though not the new 2018 ones, they're totally mainstream maaaan.

>Deftech is literally a Best Buy house brand, shortbus
Looks like your wrong there kid

I actually found some Polk RTi recently at Goodwill. $3 for the pair. They were okay but had a lot of distortion because of low end drivers and probably a low end crossover. If an user really wants Polk RTi, you can often find them on Craigslist for about 90 to 150 dollars pair. They're fucking loud for movies, lol.

>They're fucking loud for movies, lol.
That's what makes them perfect for HT

And here's their parent company.

Deftech internet defense force just went to DEFCON 1

I recommend QAcoustics 2010i. About $135 new, or probably $100 used. You only need a modest, inexpensive (but not cheaply made) receiver from Goodwill to drive them. When you expand your system, they make good satellites. If you want something cheaper, post your state or region and I can dig up something on Craigslist.

again fuck off to where you came from

You mean Rego Park?

No argument there from me. I prefer Quad and Dynaudio myself. When combined, they make really good HT, but they're usually used for Stereo. Pic related.

I thought quad was all about the ribbon tweeters

Their latest generation, S, have ribbon tweeters, which can become shrill after a while, like, in one hour. The prior generation had silk dome tweeters which are smoother, and which have nicer lacquered exteriors, which pleases the wife.

Also, found some Polk RTi. They're as plentiful as mussels, and there's tons of them on Chicagoland Craigslist. chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/d/polk-audio-rmpiece-surround/6416157760.html

Anyone know of a way for a PC to take an optical input? Looking to take in any optical input, equalize the audio, then output said audio out through either optical output or USB.

Or you might mean Quad electrostats. Electrostats -- they're really good, but you can't move from your seat, and they need strong amplification, and an expensive subwoofer, and they're high maintenance.

you mean electrostats as in like, electrostatic electrostats? I was remembering a pair of towers that were normal woofers but a ribbon tweeter, that the audio oompa loompa at one of my local stores was trying to hype. they seemed like they were voiced to sell, which is to say, not appealing to me

Sounds like Martin Logan design. Quad is old school and they look like lab gear. Pic related. You really need an entire room so kids don't kick them to pieces.

the final speaker has been designed. integrated sound chips are now so good they compete with $1000 meme machines.

it's all about the crossover and resonance.
therationalaudiophile.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/kii-three/

freakishly weird in-room response

it cancels low frequence resonances with the side drivers. the final sound image is super crisp as a result.

for 12K it better make my coffee, too