Is mini ITX a viable long term platform...

Is mini ITX a viable long term platform? I'm somewhat regretting my ITX build because I didn't think about the possibility of newer technologies not being compatible for various reasons.

For example: quad channel memory. Right now there's only one ITX board that supports it and it has to make a lot of concessions to get it working.

I just assumed the main issue was lack of expansion slots which I don't care about but now Micro ATX is looking more viable long term. I don't really want to redo my whole build.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com.au/amp/s/www.pcworld.com/article/2982965/components/quad-channel-ram-vs-dual-channel-ram-the-shocking-truth-about-their-performance.amp.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

One question: Why can't you just go with a regular ATX build and put it inside a tiny case?

put a regular ATX motherboard in an ITX case? Not going to fit.

Quad channel memory is only a thing if you're buying into a HEDT platform like Threadripper or Skylake X. If you didn't already know this, is not something your retarded ass will ever need.

Is this a joke question?

I was just using it as an example. Yes I know I'm not going to need it.

Futureproofing is a meme wrt consumer tech. Get whatever you need atm.

ya but you can usually use your case at least for 10+ years.

What specific features does itx lack that you would need in the next 10 years and that wouldn't require a new atx mobo anyway?

how the hell would I know if the technology doesn't exist yet?

When a new mobo costs ~100 and every new CPU gen requires a new chipset, should you care?

As you lie on your deathbed in 60 years time you think how stupid you are worrying about things that dont exist yet, or the cost of replacing a pc.

mini-ITX is literally the smallest PC form factor I take seriously
Anything smaller (NUC-tier) is a meme

They're basically laptops without the peripherals. They're great if you want power efficiency.

stx is good

Yes, itx is the best forum factor for normies. What's the point of having 3 unused pcie slots and 2 unused memory slots?

when quad channel comes to mainstream boards it's going to hurt

>What's quad channel and how does it get me more fps?

t. normie

and they find out on youtube how it gives them more fps?

I reckon 4 sticks of low density low speed RAM is cheaper than 2 sticks of high density high speed RAM.

>quad channel memory
lol wut

2 sticks is more reliable and better for overclocking

google.com.au/amp/s/www.pcworld.com/article/2982965/components/quad-channel-ram-vs-dual-channel-ram-the-shocking-truth-about-their-performance.amp.html

Is doesn't fucking matter, unless you're benchmarking your RAM

then why did asrock go such lengths to put it on their board?

Because now you're talking about them and their achievement.

it's LGA 2066. bang for the buck for consumers was never good on these platforms

I would not call 2066 CPU's mainstream, therefore the x99 and x299 boards aren't mainstream.

when did I say they were mainstream? I'm talking about once they become mainstream.

what are you going to do with quad channel ram? are you going to preemptively switch to micro atx just in case i7-x700k supports quad channel ram? ???

most likely

>then why did asrock go such lengths to put it on their board?

If we're talking about the future, how is this a useful comment? Quad channel SODIMM on motherboards can be done now, so it's only going to be easier in the future.

Why would they become mainstream?

I fell for the ITX meme.

mATX is the best compromise, more rams, more satas, option for second video card for linux GPU passthru, cases easier to work on and cooling less likely to get in the way

>sold my Fractal Mini for a Silverstone RVZ02
fug.

Also Silverstone SFX gold PSUs are trash, I had one die and the other made shitty loud squeeking noises when it starts spinning. Corsair make a better one though.

i haven't kept up with it but i think they make better SFX-L psus now?

yeah they make platinum ones now if you want to spend big.

At least they should be efficient enough to stay spun down outside of gaming.

i stopped looking at ITX when i realised most cases are bigger than mATX.

obvious troll is obvious

for tards like you

its more than enough for a facebook machine but if you want to add multiple addon cards and storage devices then thats not going to be enough.