Are audiophiles fucking retarded? went over to an audiophiles house the other day and he showed off his equipment...

are audiophiles fucking retarded? went over to an audiophiles house the other day and he showed off his equipment. Wires that cost 500 bucks. Headphones that costs 2,000. He cant even take them out of his basement (he's obese too) because phone signals would interfere with the magnetic resonance of the wires or some shit. What the actual fuck?

When we got to listening to some songs he got mad at some girl for asking if she can use bluetooth. Then proceeds to pull out a vintage vinyl of some ska punk from the 80s. It sounded 'warmer' and fuzzier in a good way but holy fuck how can someone spend so much money and time just to listen to slightly better versions of music

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality
hardwarezone.com.sg/blog-so-you-think-you-have-golden-ears
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are frogposters fucking retarded?
No need to reply.
sage&hide

another mad audiophile? lol fucking retard

Yes. Yes they are.

Most ears aren't even capable of telling the difference between 320kbps and FLAC.

After a certain point.
Audiophile stuff is largely snake oil, a $1000+ DAC or amplifier are effectively indistinguishable from a $50 DAC and $100 amplifier, but positive expectation bias means audiophiles will pay for the "feeling" of upgrading.
"Audiophile grade" hardware CAN be worth it, though. My HD6xxs are a clear improvement over my shitty beats headphones. Just don't buy the snake oil.

He's one of those extreme audiophiles.
Does he have his own electricity pole too?

everyone knows the human ear can't hear past 24fps

Keep fighting the good fight user. These retards need to be reminded of their stupidity. The whole reason they buy overly expensive crap that makes the listening experience less than 1% better is to stroke their ego and feel superior to others.

Link them to these:
npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

hardwarezone.com.sg/blog-so-you-think-you-have-golden-ears

Most of Sup Forums thinks internal pc sound cards output good clear audio. So this is literally one of the last places anyone should take audio advice from

b-b-but aaaanon
my anecdotal evidence clearly shows my pothead cant difference between youtube and my toster

>implying most ears can tell the difference between 128kbps and 320kbps

Most people can't. Most ears are capable of that though.

>expensive wires

He's an audiofool, not an audiphile.
Learn the difference.

Real audiophiles have dedicated music listening rooms, acoustically treated, with multiple-thousand-bux speakers. But not gold cables.

but most of them do nowadays, as long as you don't get 50$ trash mainboards

You're better off getting good speakers/headphones.

>mfw my friend wasted 5,000 fucking dollars on cables
>mfw he plugs them directly into his $1000 speakers, no DAC, pre-amp, or anything. Just phone, cable, and speakers
>mfw my other friend's setup with $15 speakers, $50 amp, $200 DAC, and worthless homemade wires sound better
>mfw when my friend admits it
I hate how inconsistent the audiophile community is. You have people who understand each component and its value, and people that just go, "hurr durr emptying my wallet mean gud quality"

>$200 DAC
EXPLAIN YOURSELF

Anyone ever notice how audiophiles never seem to be electrical or sound engineers? Hmmmm, weird, whatever could be the reason?

Remember reading about a guy who changed all the power wiring in his house to a specific type of wire so he
could get the absolute cleanest power supply to his equipment. He also replaced all the wiring in his audio gear with silver wire.

This mostly

This. I notice that sound engineers would use whatever decent equipment they can find. And not obsess over shit like audiophiles

lmao wtff link?

>phone
that was his mistake.

This. Diminishing returns are not a meme.

Anyone too serious about something is retarded.

Sounds like OCD or autism.

just buy something like a hyperx stinger if you want a headset or a superlux headphones and call it a day

>are audiophiles fucking retarded?

duh

every community is filled with people like that. 5% know their shit from start to finish, 15% know a good amount, 30% are curious and want to get in, and 50% are fucking posers who just try to jump onto the latest fad for brownie points from their peers.

post your audio set up, OP, then I'll respond

1. DACs might be meme-y but amplifiers may not depending on the set-up.
2. >$100 amp:
the amount you spend on the amp doesn't necessarily determine the quality of the amp, if you buy used gear.
3. while expectation bias drives sales, there are subtle but measurable increases in performance, depending on the kind of upgrade.
4. "audiophile grade" is a term that has to stand the test of performance; e.g., beats, bose, polk.

So, let us see your set-up, user.

>mfw my other friend's setup with $15 speakers, $50 amp

which speakers and amp? before i call you a liar

user, I...

Telling the difference between 320kbps and WAV is quite impressive. What's your setup?
Are you specifically listening for the artifacts of MP3 compression or is it just obvious without looking for anything in particular?

threadripper mobo + ATH-MX50x

Doing pretty well so far. Just a pair of ATH-M50X directly plugged in the laptop.

Also, I just paid attention. MP3 music seems to be less bright, and it feels that something is missing, I don't know how to explain

>tfw when I read DAC/DAP reviews, and the author gives a very detailed description how the sound is "bit on the warm side" and "musical"

Man, I just got the massdrop sennheiser 6xx and now I'm debating getting a $300 amp+dac combo because the headphones are fucking 300 ohm.

Recommendations?

Still going strong.

uh what 'audio' set up. I have a pair of sub 100$ headphones and use my phone to play spotify like a normal person

Interesting. Not certain, but I think it's true that some of the high end is cut off by MP3 compression. If you have good hearing in the "inaudible" areas (for example if you can hear up to 20khz) then maybe you can tell the difference.

I'm certain that if you are listening to a song while doing something else, it's impossible to tell the difference between lossless and 320kbps mp3

Admittedly, mistook 320Kbps for WAV in the last two...

...but again, considering I did not use a DAC or an amplifier, I'm not surprised.

Chad audiophile here.
the person you are mentioning is a 'tismo who also happens to be an audiphile. please refrain from generalizing next time.

>Wires that cost 500 bucks. Headphones that costs 2,000.
Audiophile here. Quality tops out at about 950$ for a tower speaker. More than that and you're paying for status brands. If you've bought anything more expensive, you got fleeced.

I can sort of see if you've spent $2000 bucks on a sound setup and spending a bit more on cables just to be certain they aren't invalidating everything you spent money on.

How much should you spend at most on a DAC in your opinion?