How accurate is this chart?

How accurate is this chart?

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity
theregister.co.uk/2017/06/29/systemd_pwned_by_dns_query/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump

Linux is a GNU component

Kinda, but not quite. GNU and Linux are like a body and a brain: both need the other to function. Sure, you can change any of them with alternatives, but... come on now.

Look up what userspace means

my estimation would be something like this

Pretty much irrelevant. Without a kernel the GNU utils are useless. Are you excited for GNU/Hurd? I'm not.

muh GNU

fixed

>gnu gcc
>gnu's not unix gnu's not unix compiler collection

You could swap out all GNU code for alternatives (see busybox etc) and have a functionally identical system. Even the Linux kernel can be built with clang/llvm now (at least after a few patches).

You can't swap out Linux, so Linux is the critical part. GNU has made impressive contributions but Stallman et al severely overstate their accomplishments.

>You can't swap out Linux
WRONG

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

yall noobs retarded
can't even get systemd/linux piecharts correct

Are you talking about le hurd? Or a bsd? Some other superficially comparable unixlike?

More like GCC being 40% ,Linux 40% and the remaining 20% are the rest of the gnu user space utils.

>you
>bbc
FTFY

Pretty sure it's accurate. I saw it on the internet.

Very accurate.
GNU Hurd is totally thing today and the GNU tools were ABSOLUTELY not piggybacking on the success of Linux..
NO THEY WERE NOT, YOU HEAR ME !?!1!

100% accurate

GCC 40% Linux 40% Systemd 20%

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity

systemd is still smaller than kernel

Yes, but it's reached 1 million LOC.

FOR AN INIT SYSTEM.

it's not just an init system
it's also a replacement for consolekit, inetd, absorbed udev and has quite a few fun features which nobody uses

>stop working on the thing I don't like

Nobody really likes systemd, newfriends.

>7 million LOC in /drivers
>2 million LOC in /arch
>only 139 thousand LOC in the actual kernel

Linux is usually about 3%.

I think it is fine.
It is fast, easy to use and have made it much easier to jump between distros

McDonald's is also easier than cooking yourself.
Doesn't mean it's better.

You do realize how many security flaws SystemD already had?
Last one was..
Oh right, half a year ago:
>theregister.co.uk/2017/06/29/systemd_pwned_by_dns_query/

You realize that SystemD is backed up by a literal NSA company?

You realize that it's so ingrained in every dependency that it gets harder to not use it every year?
That you could probably kill the majority of Linux distros by not supporting it anymore?

And linux is over 18 million. GCC is 1.7 million. So what? systemd is not just an init by far, individual parts aren't that big.

I don't think the network stuff should be in systemd at all, at least not by default.
First thing I do is to disable that stuff, but I still think systemd is an overall good thing.
Ease of use is a good thing when it comes to software. Especially something you don't need to do all that often.

This whole idea is flawed. GNU is the system, no matter hoe many LOC are by GNU or by additional software.

>amount of engineer hours dedicated to Linux
vs
>amount of NEET hours dedicated GNU
it is not even remotely close. much more time and talent is spent on Linux.

>Muh GNU
The most important part is the kernel, fuck of

Just fucking call it linux you god damn autists.

>GNU BASH
>something literally 2nd year CS students drum up for a college assignment on a daily basis
>being worth any mention whatsoever
Just because it's ubiquitous doesn't make it significant.

I use zsh personally, desu.