Why are all modern display technologies complete garbage?

Why are all modern display technologies complete garbage?

>OLED
Burn-in even worse than plasmas and very limited lifespan due to irregular decay.
>IPS
Horrific glow and light bleed issues along with shit tier black levels.
>VA
Godawful viewing angles so everything looks like shit even 15 degrees off-center.
>TN
Shit colors, shit viewing angles. Just shit.
>Plasma/CRT
Dead.

And why aren't you busy inventing something better instead of posting on Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/z9d
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Buy what is affordable for my budget that I like.
I think some people need different hobbies or evaluate what's worth spending so much time nit picking over.

don't worry, samshit is going to release microLED screens "soon"

I never understood the "muh viewing angles" argument. Literally everyone sits with their display facing right at them.

>OLED
We had screen burn in the CRT era, you underage cunt. We dealt with it in software.

>oled burn in

Only if youre a retard who wants to display a non moving image for over 4 hours

>what is a video game HUD
>what is a taskbar/menubar/toolbar/etc

Laser projectors don't have these problems.

You mean you don't look at your monitor at a 90 degree angle?

>what is a screensaver
>what is power saving mode

>t. Never seen these displays out of Best Buy's oversaturated settings
I work with these things daily and the good ones are fucking GOOD. I'd give you $100 on the spot if you could genuinely convince me that there was bleed problems or what-fucking-have-you.
Stop being a contrarian asshole about everything and you might be able to enjoy things more.

Why the fuck would you use OLED for a desktop monitor, it's a TV grade screen. Wait for QLED for computer use.

Sometimes people play a video game for several hours straight. Sometimes people edit photos or videos for several hours straight. Sometimes people work on spreadsheets for several hours straight *shudders internally*.

>I never understood the "muh viewing angles" argument.
If you try using a TN monitor in portrait mode or use a setup with multiple TN monitors, you'll understand very quickly.

plasma/crt were even worse.
To be fair, high end IPS and OLED displays mostly mitigate these issues

not even
the new ones refresh the screen when it's off, takes about a half hour. it only burns in if you literally unplug your oled like a weirdo.

If someone's playin the vidya, there's enough movement for the HUD to not be a problem.

No photo editing or video editing or (ick) excel session is going to progress for long enough for pixels to become stuck.

I dunno man, my friend is an accountant at a mid-sized firm and during tax season he sits in front of his computer working on spreadsheets for 10-12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week.

He gets up for lunch breaks, bathroom breaks, smoke breaks, meetings, etc.. All of those are long enough times for the screen to power down, or at least go into screensaver mode (doubly so if he locks his desktop like a sane person)

The real question you should be asking is the GLOSSY VS MATTE glass debate.

>We had screen burn in the CRT era, you underage cunt. We dealt with it in software.
This. My OLED is a year old now and it's still going amazingly, no burn in at all

>Literally everyone sits with their display facing right at them.

You sit dead center in front of your TV and nobody else ever watches it with you (that I can believe)? Viewing angles are a far bigger deal for TVs for most people than for computer monitors.

>My OLED is a year old now
Damn, halfway through its effective lifespan.

>all these fags complaining about basic shit

nigga its fucking 2018 where the fuck are my transparent screens?

see . they're unusable in portrait unless you're okay with everything looking fucked up.

I want that fucking Looking Glass tech from Prey. Seems like it would be possible to make.

>Why are all modern display technologies complete garbage?
Because SED and FED got fucked with patents and CRTs are too large and heavy for manufacturers to give a damn.

>Shit colors
Not true, TNs color is pretty good.
> shit viewing angles
Not really true for LG TN panels, just as good, as IPS.

>CRT
I miss CRT, even shitties was quite colorful.

>>IPS
>Horrific glow and light bleed issues along with shit tier black levels.
>>VA
>Godawful viewing angles so everything looks like shit even 15 degrees off-center.

Good quality screens don't have these problems. Don't buy the cheapest garbage.

The guy shitting on TN panels never has view a W520/30 panel in his life.

You can use a photoelectric display and some Fourier transforms and make a display that has adaptive resolution and adaptive hz. It will also only need like 2 wires going to it. It will just take a lot of RnD to get the colors right and integrate it into modern systems.

Jesus fuck... ENOUGH WITH FUCKING PATENTS.

Will it look better than OLED though

>a year old
So nothing?

They're a thing already and are completely pointless for just about everything.

>And why aren't you busy inventing something better instead of posting on Sup Forums?
CRT, LRT, SED, FED, and etc have all already been invented, but they cost more to manufacture than the current, and future shit $10 panels that they sell.

Fugg, is this real?
Does this happen to all oleds?

If all I want is good looking colors for 4k movie watching do I get a TV of a monitor? which is the best panel? is it oled, ips or something else?
also what are these tv marketing gimmicks like HDR and high refresh rate when the movies are 24 fps whats the point?
Or do I just get a 1080p projector?

>Not true, TNs color is pretty good.
No, it objectively isn't. Find me a single person on the entire planet who uses a TN panel for colour-critical work.
>Not really true for LG TN panels, just as good, as IPS.
Just a flat out lie. TN's viewing angle limitations are inherent to the technology. It can't just be "solved" with a snap of the fingers. It is and will always be there.

Utter delusional bullshit. Even the most expensive IPS monitors on the market have massive issues with light bleed. Nobody cares if you got a golden sample with zero issues. Check the reviews on Amazon for any high end IPS monitor and you'll find people bitching about light bleed out the ass.

And VA's viewing angles are again inherent to the technology. The most expensive VA panels on the market are no different. The Sony Z9D for example, one of the most expensive LCD TVs on the market, still has shit tier viewing angles which are its biggest weakness, thanks to VA.

rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/z9d

It's literally not up for debate. It's measurable fact. You might as well be claiming that water isn't actually wet.

works on my machine :^)

can we all agree that gamers are the cancer killing and halting technology?

WHO THE FUCK BESIDES THEM WOULD WANT CURVED MONITORS, now every fucking monitor i'm looking at has it. IT SERVES NO PURPOSE

They are fine. You're just so poor that you have the need to waste the little amount of money you have with something completely perfect hoping it will last forever, since you can't afford another one.

Get a job.

>"muh viewing angles"
When I bought a new screen I totally forgot to check viewing angles. I'm not making that mistake anymore. If I'm looking the screen at little bit off the center, colors start to melt.

I watch my monitor from a 174° angle. Step up. Also, I am pretty happy with my 4k HDR10 tv. Even though it' not oled, colours still look amazing. Pic related.

Yeah my dad's s3 burned in bad, there's multiple stages of UI burnt in and it looks like layers, plus there's a nice subtle piss tint. But my laptop screen is IPS and the image gets stuck so it looks like a window is transparent and I can see what used to be there sometimes until it goes into sleep mode but that might be my fault for buying an ASUS piece of shit

having a screen edge on multiple monitors is like a million dead pixels

>Godawful viewing angles so everything looks like shit even 15 degrees off-center.
I didn't believe this until I got a Sony 4k tv for myself. I have to sit dead fucking center or else the blacks turn grey. It's an annoyance but I'm still otherwise happy with the purchase. For IPS or OLED displays there's no fix to their flaws, simply you just have to deal with them

yesbut now your whites are completely destroyed and your colors are inaccurate as hell

>VA
The fuck are you talking about, they exhibit different distortions than IPS when viewed off centre, but they're not worse.

>tfw no superior FED monitor

My LG OLED tv went to shit after a year and a half. The colors have dulled significantly. Image retention now happens after only 3 minutes of a static image.

Sounds like LED us still the way to go.

What is the point of living at that point

Cause some faggots will buy anything. Why would companies get out of their way when they can act like that lazy kid at school that knows how to do the minimum amount of work and still make it through.

>I replaced my tv every 3 years.

CRTs still work today with little to no picture quality degeneration.

Yeah, it was amazing out of the box, now it is no different than my IPS monitor. What's weird is that after a year the OLED developed backlight bleed, which I didn't think was possible. It's no where near IPS level, but it is noticeable.

The Nvidia BFG looks interesting, wonder if it will be under $2000.

Hell no.

with how their va looks

im scared.

Even just changing my position 5 inches (like leaning on an elbow instead of sitting strait) changes the colors of my screen.

TN, never again.

What will it cost?

The panel is shit and all of the features people are excited for about them will be standard with hdmi 2.1.

but at least it has your favorite gamer branding on the back of it i guess

They absolutely are worse. By far. Your subjective opinion on the matter is irrelevant. Viewing angles are measured in terms of brightness drop-off and colour shift, both of which are measurably worse from any degree off-centre than with IPS. It's not a matter of opinion.

>using composite instead of RGB

according to people at CES yes

Dream on. High end 65" TVs are $5,000-7,000 at launch, and those are mere 60Hz displays with no GoySync tax, gaymer tax and new technology tax. These things will be closer to $10,000 at launch.

IPS panels with an ATW polizer completely blow away any VA panel for lack of viewing angle shift.

Non-ATW IPS panels not so much.

Once the screen is large enough the shit viewing angles make it so that when the same color is displayed on the edges it looks different than when displayed in the center.

>my $1000 appliance has worked for a year

stop buying new shit and just stick with old hardware

Every panel today is 120hz. They're just hamstrung by HDMI.

FED and SED did get fucked with patents, but they also had some crippling design problems. They may have been solved, had development continued, but we'll never know now if it would have matured into a viable display technology.

Total bullshit. Not only are many panels just a flat 60Hz no matter what the resolution, the "120Hz" number you read for higher end current 4K TVs is a rating for 1080p (i.e. marketing). There is no panel on the market that can handle 120Hz at 4K, no matter what the connection. The first will be arriving this year.

In fact, many of these "120Hz panels" can't even handle 1080p/120Hz reliably, with black lines and flickering being common when hooked up to a PC at that refresh rate.

looks like shit on my TN monitor

>And why aren't you busy inventing something better instead of posting on Sup Forums?
Because vivisecting human eye for analysis is apparently unethical.

Nothing being good enough is a symptom if a bad attitude. I mean it would be nice if they had the perfect display tech but they don't. Perhaps work on being content with what you have and not seeking to find fault in everything. These things don't really matter much in the grand scheme of life.

This.

I'm 39 so I didn't even have a computer until I was 12.
Today's kids are spoiled beyond belief.

Well it's rather infuriating to go backwards in therms of display quality. It'd be one thing if we stagnated and haven't found anything better, but we left something better for something worse.

nes doesnt support rgb and the mod ruins all originality of the console, might as well just emulate

>muh originality
Fuck off. If I can get better picture out of the hardware with some soldering, I'm going to do it.

They're also uneducated. Educate them.

>white are completely destroyed

I wonder who could be behind this?

that's not even that bad, I have seen worse. It's because people are dumb - my boss cranks up the backlight up to max and has those stupid facebook widgets in the same spot for so long.

My work phone has an OLED and I almost never go past half the brightness, have black color as a background and as few icons and widgets as possible and it looks quite good. At least i keep those things civilized - my bosses phone is a clusterfuck, she doesn't even save the numbers properly, run out of storage long age, battery constantly dies and the phone is sticky, smudgy piece of shite from her make-up.

Im a poorfag and it breaks my inner sperg to see quite expensive equipment treated so badly

Are QLEDS (the real, emissive ones) dead tho?

Are VA viewing angles as bad as TN? My monitor is about 8 years old and I think I'd like better blacks on my next one.

No, but it'll be at least 2019 and more likely 2020 before we see any for sale.

Can confirm but also contest.

My Sony x930d does have vertical artifacting when displaying 120hz 1080p,
But the 2017 LGs and Sonys don't.

480? why do you want 720, goy? everybody knows the eye can't see past 1080, so buy your 4k tv now, because 8k is just around the corner and you have to give up your shekels

>Burn-in even worse than plasmas and very limited lifespan due to irregular decay.

But one made in the past 5 years and you don't have to worry about that.

You could always spend 3x as much and buy a QLED.

>VA
As someone who uses a VA panel BenQ monitor this is news to me literally the only thing wrong with viewing at an off angle is the fact the screen is somewhat glossy and I get glare from lights

>VA
Then there is AMVA+ which fixes this but for the cost of terrible input lag

>not widescreen
its like you dont watch movies

Local dimming is a must on tn panels. Full grid LED array back lighting makes a huge difference.

> samshit
Enjoy your botnet.

>botnet
>in a crt

it wasn't really that bad back in a day, my child

is that CRT? whats the model name

Horizontally, yes. Vertically, no, TN panel vertical viewing angle shift is horrible and way worse than anything I've seen from VA.

>This is a good car. As long as you never exceed 20mph and always leave the backseats unoccupied and never drive in rain, it shouldn't violently explode and kill you.
fucking moron