How did it manage to be both comfy and extremely ugly at the same time?

How did it manage to be both comfy and extremely ugly at the same time?

Other urls found in this thread:

gizmodo.com/5088463/microsoft-lowered-vista-hardware-requirements-to-appease-intel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because ugly is comfy.
"The Ugly Wife Is A Treasure At Home", ancient Chinese saying.

>How did it manage to be both comfy and extremely ugly at the same time?
It was modeled on your mum

I think comfy but extremely ugly applies to all of the early 2000s design choices

It's objectively ugly and subjectively comfy, because it triggers nostalgia.

its like 200% faster and snappy than any linux distro at that time and now
but its shit at networking

at the very least it was consistent.

You were 13 and everything seems nostalgic

By not being the second part of your sentence.

You could fit anything in there.

There's a thing I notice with older shit. It's made to fit low resolutions, of course, but that is also pretty comfortable. Everything kinda fits the way it has to. Nowadays I have a 1080p display and it's a mess. At 100%, too small. At 125%, too fucking big. It's trash.

Also that ugly design was consistent. And consistency matters a fucking lot, that's why Windows 10 is a fucking mess.

Oh and forgot to say, that kind of ugly isn't hard on the eyes, that is very important. That's why OSX has been considered to look really good. They don't put plain white with no gradients in there, with black backgrounds or similar. It blends together a little bit better. You can very clearly distinguish any element because of the colors and gradients. Many setups with classic Windows themes are not white, they use grey. Because plain white or black looks like trash, like W10.

it's basically the butterface of guis. first time you see it you're like "hell, no, go away!" but then you start using it and end up "well, it's actually not that bad".

It's because later versions of windows are so ugly as shit.
Partially this
It looks good in comparison. The only consistent version of Windows, can't remember Vista. Windows UI is such an utter mess nowadays anything looks comfy in comparison.

I think my biggest problem with Windows nowadays, more than the fucking UI which can still be changed somehow (well, on W10 it's messy as shit, but still) is the goddamn font rendering. Ever since 7 (or was it Vista?) they use the same fucking ugly ass font rendering that makes non HiDPI displays suffer. I can't read on that shit for long periods of time and most of the cool google or loonix fonts on it look like trash. Even the solution available to fix that (mactype) is messy and doesn't like modern browsers.

this. few people actually like the way the GUI looks, but most people have had a positive experience using XP.

likewise, as much as i like the look of Vista, i cannot look at it and not get BSoD flashbacks.

also, witnessed

the only difference in UI between vista and 7 was the task bar had those big icons and areo peak on by default. Vista was probably my favorite of the windows UI.

>taskbar is the same theme as window borders
>menus all have the same theme
>everything is light theme unless you switch to classic theme and make it all dark, then it's ALL dark theme
>excellent color options available in classic theme mode
>stays more or less consistent even if you fuck with the color options a lot

You haven't experienced W10 UI suffering until you have a 4k monitor. For the supposed industry leader shit is fucking ridiculous. Part of why I'm never going back to Windows.

In literally current year 4k resolutions still have scaling issues, but hey creators update added some shit you don't need, are you happy goy? When even Linux has done it better for ages, you need to wake up.

And what gets me is time keeps ticking. Literally current year, hurry the fuck up and fix scaling already, you fucking pajeets.

Not to mention pretty touches like making the title bar and taskbar opaque when a window is maximized, and the all clear Windows Media Player mini window.

Vista is the best looking OS ever

But Vista's most visible feature was its bluescreens, and Windows 10 has better looking bluescreens.

consistency

no thats windows me. vista just had weird bugs like an empty control panel and would freeze completely sometimes without chance to show a bsod

I never had a bsod on vista, and I ran it as my OS until about 2014 when I went to 7. The problems with it where from people running it on minimum required hardware, which was by itself was too low thanks to intel
gizmodo.com/5088463/microsoft-lowered-vista-hardware-requirements-to-appease-intel
If you ran Windows 7 on 1 gb of ram and a 1.5 ghz cpu, you wouldn't have a very good time either.
Windows 7 is Vista sp3. The only difference I noticed when I went to 7 was shutdown times where a bit faster when I had to reboot for an update, and 7 had shit default productivity programs compared to vista.

Consistent, and tasteful use of color and gradients.
Not very many things were doing that at the time, outside of games.

Whoever designed it might have been influenced by 80s stuff, as a lot of the icon colors have hints of Vaporwave-esq blue and magenta.

This is back when Microsoft were an NT 3.51 company

So they just crapped out longhorn and it was good
Naturally

Saying Linux does 4k better is just stupid. Windows has fractional scaling, GNOME has hiDPI mode you cannot configure, and KDE doesn't do it much better.

>Saying Linux does 4k better is just stupid.
it's not
4k is (almost) exactly 2x (if 1x is 96ppi)
the stupid is morons who continue to purchase monitors with random pixel density

royale noir wasn't ugly

remember back in the 90s when people made fun of windows for being grey and dull looking, while mac was colorful and fun? ironic how it all turned out.

Neither was official Microsoft Zune theme :)

>edgy recolours

this was pretty slick

Switch to classic mode and turn off graphic improvements.
Enjoy ascetic / aesthetic.

Post Gold Edition by Muhhamad

Vista hurt my fucking eyes. It's OS X's retarded brother.

Royale noir was my jam in the XP days.

It is extremely ugly.
It was extremely ugly when it came out.

It is "comfy" because of familiarity after using it for a decade.

>ugly
You must be 18+ to post.