Older Windows will have significant performance drop compared latest Windows

cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/01/09/understanding-the-performance-impact-of-spectre-and-meltdown-mitigations-on-windows-systems/
>With Windows 8 and Windows 7 on older silicon (2015-era PCs with Haswell or older CPU), we expect most users to notice a decrease in system performance

Well fuck me. I was going to upgrade CPU/Mobo around early 2020 as Haswell and Win7 are still usable till then but damn, this is fucked.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/7o6ac5/intel_meltdown_bug_benchmark_haswell/
reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/7obrxp/i7_2600k_benchmarks_meltdown_kb4056892_before/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

m$: upgrade to w10, goy
intel-aviv: buy our new cpus, goy

Of course they use this opportunity to sabotage windows 7.

whatever, i don't care about (((security))) and neither i do run thousands of VMs, to be affected of this bug

Yes, you do. You not acknowledging or understanding the severity of the vulnerability doesn't make it less worse. Lucky for you, microsoft will make sure you get that patch one way or another.

>not joining the Ubuntu+Ryzen masterrace

i dont care they arent forcing me to upgrade

Whatevs, 8.1 to the death motherfucker fight me

Yes. Yes, they are. Unless you air-gap that shit right now for eternity.

But you don't want that anyway. You want that update to resume normal business.

8.1 is best .1

Looks like you're shitposting without even reading the article yourself.

>With Windows 10 on older silicon (2015-era PCs with Haswell or older CPU), some benchmarks show more significant slowdowns, and we expect that some users will notice a decrease in system performance.

>With Windows 8 and Windows 7 on older silicon (2015-era PCs with Haswell or older CPU), we expect most users to notice a decrease in system performance.

Looks to me like it doesn't matter what Windows you're using, you will have significant slowdowns if using Haswell or an older CPU. This includes being on Win10 too.

OP was a dumbass and only quoted the Win8/Win7 part.

Can a mod deleted this bait thread now?

Just do like me and don't patch it.
The exploit is too hard to implement and some parts of it even require physical access to the machine.
Also my system is too old for this shit anyways.

isn't it "older than Haswell" or is Haswell shitfucked as well as older GEN (ivy, sandy, 1st i5/ ... )

Haswell and below.

I read it but just don't give a shit about the slowdown and neither should you. Security is priority #1 for networked computer systems. A 30% performance drop is in now way on the same page as the catastrophic vulnerabilities that we are exposed to.

- Update your system
- Notice how waiting 0.1 secs longer for Sup Forums to load doesn't matter at all
- Enjoy a more secure system than you had before the update

>The exploit is too hard to implement and some parts of it even require physical access to the machine.
>Ads or malicious websites can read your kernel memory.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

i installed all awailable updates a while ago on my atom netbook with win7 and its not slower than usually so thats not true.

>you will have significant slowdowns if using Haswell or an older CPU

win7 + skylake here and i dont see any performance drop

so devils canyon is technically still haswell right?
4790k guy here

win 8.1 sandy brigde, no problems with windows patch...so far

doesn't look too bad:

reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/7o6ac5/intel_meltdown_bug_benchmark_haswell/

reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/7obrxp/i7_2600k_benchmarks_meltdown_kb4056892_before/

haven't seen any horror benchs yet ... as for spikes? haven't seen any in applications i'd care about either

MS is tryna get peeps to dump win 7/8 in favor of 10, dumb cumburger

So what's your point? Users who has Haswell or older CPU AND on Windows 8/7 are going to get fucked regardless of what happens.

So what is this "bait" you're talking about, smartass.

Well, it's MS who will cripple older Windows by all means.

I mean, it's not too bad.

You're only shaving off few seconds on certain apps. Though I could be wrong.

Intel-aviv

Explains everything! Hur ok!

>Win7 Ult
> FX 8370
> manual offline updates only, ever

Superior comfy. Maximum smug.

and Water is wet. Why are people suprised by that? The latest version is always the best one

You will all submit to the Windows 10 botnet eventually when Windows 7 is no longer supported in 2020. I'll even wager that Microsoft will eventually force an upgrade via ransomware.

You either use 10, or your computer becomes a paper weight.

>using the term "apps"

>sabotage
>Older versions of Windows have a larger performance impact because Windows 7 and Windows 8 have more user-kernel transitions because of legacy design decisions, such as all font rendering taking place in the kernel.

Spectre update (bios) fucks up Haswell and below more.
Meltdown update (os) fucks up Ivy Bridge and below more.

inb4 forced updates on win10

>source: my ass

lmao.

this will happen though.

Can Microsoft update your bios or do you need to do that from your OEM?

Windows 7 + C2D here
no any decrease in system performance

>manual offline updates only,

How can you even evoid notnet updates after the updates being in a single pack since 6 months

I didn't notice any performance loss on IvyBridge with Windows 7.

Haswell-cuck here
can confirm the slow down, especially when usuing Photoshop
I thought its just my Winshit being bloated
will now do a system restore
fuck Int*l

Updated manually a few days ago on my sandy w7 system and didn't notice any slow down. Is this a brand new update?

>he thinks doing a system restore will solve anything

What CPU do you have?

>he doesn't disable JS

Stop being a fucking retard.

Haswell has PCID. PCID lets you preserve the address translation cache after a kernel context switch.
This reduces the meltdown performance impact.

Skylake allows more granular control of the branch predictor.
This lets you only disable branch prediction in vulnerable situations.

Some OEMs use Windows update. For others you'll have to do it manually.

>tfw skylake+win7 (the ultimate combo for gayms)

Yeah, also INVPCID is disabled on w7 even when my cpu supports it.

Fucking kikes

>ITT "there is absolutely no/zero/nll reason for 7 and 8 to be slower than 10, micro$$$$oft is forcing us to upgraed, REEEEEE"