What's wrong with Mint?

What's wrong with Mint?
Only times I see it discussed here it's in a negative way.

install ubunut

It's too easy to use

The were hacked once
Ugly logo
The new versions don't use mdm but lightdm

I've never seen anything discussed in a positive way here.

Isn't it just ubuntu with cinnamon DE?
Why should it exist when it could just be cinnabuntu?
Maybe it's so they can get some sweet $$$ from ads and donations?

Delet

Neither have I

I unironically can't think of a single reason one would install Mint over Ubuntu
(or Cinnamon over MATE for that matter)

>I unironically can't think of a single reason one would install Mint over Ubuntu
Does't one technically have to buy Ubuntu?

Never heard of this, not sure what you mean

No you don’t
Who the fuck told you ya had to buy it?

How do you buy it?
Do you mean buying the disks and having it delivered to you?
It's not 2004 anymore...

is there any difference between using this or ubuntu mate?

Yes, Ubuntu Mate doesn't mix with packages pulled from Debian Testing like mint.

>being this fucking dumb
wow, can't imagine living like that. Pic related, it's you

well cinnabuntu didn't exist until after mint, now that cinnamons been backported everywhere there's no reason to deal with mint, they outlived their usefulness as a distro

It works well and Sup Forums hates that. I use it primarily for web dev on an older laptop, but I also do GPU accelerated neural network training. So there's two use cases.

There's really no reason to use it unless you're too dumb to install Cinnamon with Ubuntu for reasons other anons have pointed out.

If its already set up how I like it why would I spend more time installing Ubuntu and cinnamon?
As long as it's Debian based everything is functionally identical.

Fuck all those Debian derivatives which can't handle a dist-upgrade

haha epic

Normal GNU/Stallmanix distributions have no budgets for advertising. So is Mint.

This way any discussions fit into categories
> how do i fix this bug
> i am not a shill and wow muh windows is better than *random dist name*

So was Fedora and Debian. Are they shit distros now?

>mfw my Debian server failed a dist-upgrade

it's the only distro worth using in my opinion. it literally just werks, more so than ubuntu.

the only reason i can think of why you wouldn't run mint is if you're a die hard freetard (*libretard)

so basically: they rename their packages.

thats it.

thats what makes "mint" bad.

Why do people like cinnamon so much?

>missing the point

Don't ask questions anymore retard

>muh patents! muh copyright!

don't listen to the kike

Mint Update handles updates differently than Ubuntu, assigning them to a 5 digit scale depending on the potential to break your system.
Imho it provides some of the best out of the box experience, with a minimal learning curve if you're coming from some version of Windows.

But there's no particular reason to use it over Ubuntu or any other Ubuntu spin off once you know how to install packages on your system.
You could install Cinnamon on another OS, and the Mint Tools on other Ubuntu based distros and you'll get Mint.

It's Ubuntu but less secure because it tells you not to update your kernel. And it's also some how less stable than Ubuntu. It's it's the most bloated distro out there.

But other than that it's not bad. Better than windows.

mint is simply a reskinned ubuntu that offers little to none, that justifies using it over ubuntu, except that it aims to be more userfriendly (which some Sup Forumsentoomen finds appalling).

the main "advantage" (if you care about this), is that the main mint flavor uses it's own windows manager called cinnamon, that some users favor over gnome3.

there's also xfce & mate as desktop flavors, which is pretty pointless as there's alreadu xubuntu & u.buntu mate.

Basically, ubuntu is like a good debian, and mint is a good ubuntu.
It's called evolution.

Those were the days...

>ubuntu is a good debian

I tried mint with cinammon DE and wanted to kill myself with its uglyass themes and awkward windows xp wannabe start menus, now I just use xubuntu on my "just works" machine. Fuck the xfce haters, its simple and practical. Its either that or openbox or something like dwm.

i3buntu

this is all outdated and wrong info

I cri everi tim

He means for desktop use, I think.

Debian is the OS of choice for servers but it's not great as a desktop OS, that's where Ubuntu and Mint come in.

I use the use kde version of mint, works perfectly, although mint wants to use an older kernel for some reason. I just change it to the latest stable .

The push for Windows users to come to GNU/Linux while at the same time absolutely shitting on the most user-friendly GNU/Linux distribution with outdated info is such a nice contradiction.