/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Prev: Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
gist.github.com/Dudemanguy911/c172394e30e1e7d0f477ad15c719bc71
kernel.org
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management#Sleep_hooks
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I feel silly for asking, but does anyone know how to install ubuntu on a new system?
I have tried several ubuntu variants and they all have the same "unable to install efi on /target/.
Arch works fine, but this is a work machine.

I know the solution is to create an efi partition, but the question is how.
Manually installing arch, checking it works and then use manual partition in the ubuntu installer doesn't work.

Most distros use systemd.
So write something like this and see if that works.
[Unit]
Description=no IP 2

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/noip2

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

~ yaourt -S intel-ucode
warning: intel-ucode-20171117-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
SO WHERE IS MY MELTDOWN FIXES???!!

Preparing to take the RHCSA in early March! Any cert holders ITT?
I have repeatedly worked through the suggested task list on RH's site, and I also am working with some Linux sysadmins at work to get extra help. Considering purchasing some books and courses. What would you recommend, /fglt/? Any other advice?

I'm using Elementary os. I turned bluetooth on on the terminal and I have bluetooth enabled on system settings ~ sharing. I can send files from my laptop to my cellphone but my cellphone doesn't find my laptop. I can pair them but all files I send to my laptop fail.
I asked a hundred times on stack exchange and their irc but didn't get an answer.
Can anybody please help?

At the AMD store.

I'm poor.

Not a direct solution, but have you tried kdeconnect?
It transfers files over WiFi instead and is much faster. It does require a "simple" network though.

I'll try it if I can't fix bluetooth.

I second KDEconnect

4.14.4 is patched

I'm looking for a distro that's non-botnet and isn't a hobby distro for NEETs that takes hours of installation/configuring.
What's the consensus on what the white, employed man's distro is? Thanks

A white man does all of his own installation and configuration because most prebuilt OS"s are built for nigger level intelligence and has everything done for them,most likely incorrectly to suite those of lower intelkligence

A true white man runs Archlinux.

You wrote TempleOS wrong.

arch isn't even very difficult to install, there's a step by step wiki guide
a true white man writes his own OS on his own custom microprocessor architecture on hardware he designed and soldered himself

Is there a way to view all installed packages on Debian in a tree view by dependency?

Lula and now Olavo De Carvalho? Who keeps making these threads?

how do i install a file picker for firefox that has thumbnails? is it possible without access to the arch user repository? that's the only place i found a patch
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-patched-filechooser-icon-view/

but i have no clue how to get this to work on linux mint 18.3 (cinnamon), kernel 4.15-rc7, latest firefox stable.
i don't want to install arch or kde just for this.

alternatively, is there another browser i could use? i only need the thumbnail view for Sup Forums shitposting, i wouldn't mind using another browser that works with Sup Forums if it has a thumbnail view in the open dialog

pic related is what i want, basically
please help me out, i've been trying for days.

It's a kernel patch.

Make sure you know how to get into single user mode.

Take the patches an apply it to gtk2 and gtk3 and glib2

Any of the mainstream distros that aren't mint or arch will work.

Debtree might be what you're looking for.

I just drag and drop from an actual file manager window. The gtk file picker is dogshit.

>apply it
this is basically where i'm stuck

i guess i'll do that if i can't get the patch to work

thank you both

Did you download the arch package? That wont work on a non arch system
Take the *.patch's.
Grab the gtk2 and gtk3 sources, and apply the patches to the source....

>Take the *.patch's.
this was the patch from github
gist.github.com/Dudemanguy911/c172394e30e1e7d0f477ad15c719bc71
is this not the correct file?

>Grab the gtk2 and gtk3 sources, and apply the patches to the source
going to try that tomorrow, thanks for pointing me into the right direction!

What application do you use for PDFs?
I'm trying to fill a PDF that have form fields, and can generate QR code from those fields.

>have to edit a bunch of config files to get front panel audio to work
dont tell me some autistic nigger thinks front panel audio is bloat so they decided to make it useless by default. that seems to be the general train of thoughtlessness in the linux community.

I have no issue with my front nor back panel audio.You just have to load the proper module and it works

For those interested (probably no one) last time I was complaining about antix lacking tab completion and arrow cursor navigation. Turns out that the new user account was created with /bin/sh as its login shell (which symlinks to the dash shell by default) instead of /bin/bash - so I changed my user's login shell with the 'chsh' command

sudo chsh -s /bin/bash

it even says my headphones are plugged in and producing sound but no sound actually comes out

>Libreboot X200
Am I fine just updating the Linux kernel or do I need to hope for a patched Libreboot BIOS?

libinput a shit

I installed Debian via netinst and there was no "xfce" or "desktop environment" option so all I have installed is the basic "standard system utilities"
Now I want to install xfce but not even xorg is installed and whenever I try to apt-get install xorg it says "unable to locate package"
wtf do I do Sup Forums??

sudo apt install xfce4
xorg and all that shit should be dependencies so should be installed too

>so I changed my user's login shell with the 'chsh' command
You dont need sudo to change your own shell
You dont need to change your own shell.
It is simply 'chsh'

i just tried to install debian sid from debian netinst 9.3
what did i do wrong here lole

SAUCE ON THAT PIC NOW! I want to know what they talked about.

just salvaged an old 2007 acer aspire as it was about to be thrown in the garbage.
windows vista kept shutting off randomly and the touchpad only worked when it was in certain positions so installed a linux distro on it and now it works perfectly fine
...apart from the battery is completely dead so it has to be kept plugged in

can anyone think of a use for such a thing?
i already have a pc and even if i got a new battery i barely go outside. nobody i know wants it, might end up just throwing it away after all at this point

not sure if this belongs in here but i dont think it deserves its own thread

i watch twitch streams on the device you described and keep chat / email clients open on it

I unpacked Eclipse to my home folder, created a .desktop file and put it in the /usr/share/applications folder

I can now "add to favorites" where it will pin Eclipse to the toolbar at the bottom, which is what I am looking for. The icon is correct

When I click on the eclipse icon, the program runs fine but it does NOT put the red dot under it indicating the program is open. It opens a second icon (with the missing icon image, and it does have the red dot)

There is only one instance of Eclipse running, but there is two icons. The one thats actually indicating the open file is fucked up.

What did I do wrong? Is my desktop file messed up or did I put it in the wrong place?

debian or fedora
or something else is recommended?

try putting it in ~/.local/share/applications/

i wouldnt use it for most chatting/typing/etc since its keyboard is trash-tier compared to my mech, but twitch isnt a bad idea
currently i dock twitch to half of one of my monitors but this way i could watch in fullscreen and also not have to sacrifice half of my browser resolution

might install gentoo on it too just for something to play around with for a bit, i quite like tinkering

if it has an express port or some way to add another network port, you can use it as a pfsense router

Its doing the same thing.
I installed Eclipse using the ubuntu store(its vanilla but I am using the java specific one). The .desktop files are identical and it works fine in both shared folders.

It must be how its installed or something, im new and dont know too much.

StartupWMClass in your desktop file

is there an option to add the desktop to launcher on eclipse? i know idea has it. if not then you'd have to add what said to your .desktop file.

That's Noam Chomsky.

>pass through dvd drive to windows vm
>insert disk
>shows up on host and vm

How do I uninstall windows 10 on my ssd and replace it with linux?

Download Ubuntu and follow the instructions.

just run a linux installer and it will wipe it
burn an iso to a flash drive then boot off the flash drive. use rufus

more like GNOME Chomsky

I think I fucked something up. I'm installing archlinux to a usb key and did a gpt/uefi install. I usually just do the old bios/mbr so it took me awhile. I have a very basic efi partition/ext4 / parition. When it came time to install grub I did this command:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=grub --removable --recheck

that's from the page on the wiki about installing to removable drive.

Well when I reboot, I press f11 to select the flash drive to boot from but the boot menu was completely unresponsive and had garbled text on it. However, it did still respond to input and I managed to select my flash drive and it booted just fine.

So wtf happened? Does grub fuck with your motherboard? I thought it was just installing to the partition on the flash drive? How can I get my motherboard to be responsive again?

Go to kernel.org download the latest tarball and place it inside C:\ then delete C:\Windows

also what's up with linux's shitty ass support for coffee lake? The only reason I'm even using arch is because ubuntu didn't even detect my display correctly and was impossible add any custom resolutions. Compositors were totally broken which meant permanent screen tearing. fucking shit.

1. Grub has nothing to do with your motherboard
2.You need to install the latest intel microcode
3.uefi seems to complicated for you, just use bios.

I did install the microcode

I unsuspended my desktop and the screen became all white after showing the i3lock screen for a moment. I can't switch to another TTY so what is happening here?

You dont have sleep setup properly

Arch

I always did systemctl suspend, what was I supposed to setup?

What's so special about UUID?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management#Sleep_hooks

can't go wrong with any distro that isn't a downstream one.

Lately when moving files in my file manager, they become "stalled".What could cause this?

repent to rms

Go back to kikebook, cancer.

>assrock
this happens on mine as well
the boot menu bugs when certain UEFI boot entries are present
it's just the bios being shit I think

Why doesn't wine work for Windows 10 and Xbox software?

How can i tell if a binary has been built with LTO and LLD linking?

No idea. Maybe poke through gcc's git repo to see what it's doing?

I'm building a binary and i've enabled lld and lto linking but im not sure if the config is being honored .On the book it should be, the config is setup properly, but im not sure if the compiler is actually enabling them

Build it without them and check for differences? Won't verify it, but it will catch if _nothing_ is happening.

Im not sure if there would be human readable reactions to them being optimized with lld and lto though. Thats why im optimizing them lol
Running stock vs what i've built there is no discernible difference in performance in any aspect.

how do I fix it? I literally have nothing plugged into my computer and just wiped my only drive and reinstalled windows and it still is a glitchy mess that is still listing drives not even there.

if i want libreboot or coreboot, can I already have an OS installed or would I have to start from nothing and do libre/coreboot first?

How do i run a program whenever my mouse is connected via usb?

You don't need a human to read them. You have the tools.

>been racking my brain out for a month trying to figure out why my windows virtual machine only had one core even though i assigned 4
>turns out shekelsoft limits you to one core per socket as a guest system until you buy a license

you have to delete the UEFI boot entry
on windows you can use "Visual BCD Editor" to do so

but will that make the menu actually usable or just remove the entries?

What version of windows?

if you delete the problematic entry, the boot menu should be usable again

on another note, do any of you know how to get a passed through dvd drive COMPLETELY functional? As it stands, it can read disks and install programs from disks, but programs that require the cd to be inserted while running do not detect that I have the disk inserted.

Which tools?

thanks that worked

Is there any quality loss if I re-encode mp4 to mkv with ffmpeg? Why does the process take so long?

I'm on Debian testing (sid, I think), and the Meltdown/spectre patch hasn't shown up on my list of updates, is this normal?

I thought Debian patched things up quickly

BTW I do use Arch linux

Yes
You're re-encoding the entire video, check your settings

gay

>I thought Debian patched things up quickly