I bought a Thinkpad P51, and it shit...

I bought a Thinkpad P51, and it shit. The main problem is that its cooling system is crap by design and i cant run anything decent without te GPU shutting down, or the CPU going to insane temperatures. in 2018, what is the best workstation laptop that deals with cooling effectively. There is no point of having awesome specs when you cant even use them

>workstation
>laptop
No

Send to warranty, test say had good cool system

You could try taking it apart and replacing the thermal compound

Shit thermal paste from the factory

>full size off-center keyboard
>OMFG WHY

Just change the thermal paste.

Yes, nigger.

Also:

I've had laptops running for days at > 1F from Tjmax and never had issues, you fucking punks are too afraid to let the hardware do what it was designed to do.

Temps are fucking irrelevant and if it's shutting down them something else is wrong with the hardware, make a warranty claim on it and get the shit fixed.

THIS

P-series cooling is just bad and can't be fixed. It's not the paste. Sadly, gaming laptops have much better cooling.

i know

it kills the CPU lifespan

what gaming laptop you recommend? Money is no issue as long as it runs properly.

>what is the best workstation laptop that deals with cooling effectively.
A desktop

>I bought a Thinkpad P51, and it shit
I bet you bought a downgraded version.

Thinkshit does suffer from this too?

mine is
Xeon E3-1535M v6, Quadro M2200m, 32G ECC RAM and a 4K display

apparently

chinkpads are fucking shit, the last half-decent models were *00 series

Less than a Macbook.

t. quad core T440p that throttles because it hits the package TDP limit, not a temperature one.

Manufacturers say no so fuck off, there is NO well-cooled portable workstation.
Deal with throttles and shutdows or buy a desktop.
There is NO alternative.

Well, there is no reason of buying laptop with something more powerful, that Pentium @2 GHz and integrated Intel graphics.
Pentium is cheaper. Also its' TPD is lower, lower TPD - longer battery life and quieter fans...
>quad core T440p that throttles because it hits the package TDP limit
Intel lol... How it is even possible?

Base clock 2.8ghz, max turbo 3.8ghz, actual sustained all core turbo of 3.0ghz smashing up against that limit at 80ish degrees.

Well, it's temp Turbo-throttling in fact, because CPU starts to drop frequency around 80-85 deg.

But still, it is better, that in MacBook Air, that really throttles up to 800 mhz

Nah, before I swapped the paste I was seeing >90 with no change in performance in the same conditions. Throttlestop reports 47.0w of package power if I set it to 38x multiplier, and I get 3ghz on the nose.

What are those circles stuck to the bottom, and why?

I drilled holes to allow more air to flow through small heatsink.
Also stuck a ball of aluminium foil to passively cool the CPU.

And surprisingly, it now don't throttle to 800 MHz, only to base frequency, and it is super cool.
Even more, I thought of buying chinkpad, I thought, that Lenovo is somewhat smarter, than Apple... But no.

My MacBook Air has never throttled on me even though I game on it.

Really? What OS? What CPU?

aluminum-boring beetles

post proof you actually own it, time stamp pic of your laptop. should be easy

here it is. but why? why would i lie i have one? maybe i should since its a piece of trash

>full size off-center keyboard
Because some people use their equipment to get the job done instead of fapping to traps and shitposting on Reddit.
I can understand having no NumPad on a small mobile laptop, but on a "workstation" it's a case of pure autism to go without one.
Also
>off-centered
literally changes nothing and is an autistic buzzword

t. guy who spent years using laptops with full keyboards followed by years of 60% ones. Had to buy an external numpad.

If you want gaymen buy a gaymen laptop.

And this. Repasting always helps on modern thinkpads

Still on Cappy because I'm a lazy fuck.

It's a base model Early 2015 with the 1.6GHz i5-5250U. Maybe you have a faster CPU and the design can't handle any extra heat.

Thinkpad W520/30/40

Undervolt the cpu, you're literally fucking yourself if you don't do this post-haswel.
Undervolt the gpu if possible, if not, underclock it slightly so you get a more sustainable workload.

The W540 has even worse throttling

This is comedy of the highest standard
thank you

I'll say what ten others did
Your problem is that you're expecting performance out of a laptop

get:
1. a rock
2. a small fan
now:
a. put the rock centered under the laptop
b. place the fan to the side near the exhaust vent
then:
c. turn on fan

there ya go you stupid fuck

no numpad = no buy.
thats why none of the recommended /tpg/ laptops appeal to me.

>Windows 10