ITT: Obscure filetypes you have used for one thing or another

Other urls found in this thread:

shoutcast.com
chiru.no:8081/stream.flac
chiru.no/dl/
google.com/search?tbs=ift:png&tbm=isch&q=bitch wut&oq=bitch wut
d.hatena.ne.jp/kamedo2/touch/20170323/1490276874
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Back in the 90s this guy hosted an FTP with tons of live concerts on it. He demanded all files be in this obscure format called VQF because it "is higher quality and will replace mp3 one day".

.webp

.pro and .sav are the only weird ones I really use with any regularity
Does .f90 count?

I used to save my pictures in PNG.
Not very obscure, but it's pretty dead now a days.

>png is dead
wat

Nobody uses it. Everything is JPEG, and even GIF has had a comeback.

Nobody uses it for photographs, it's the standard for screenshots and similar images.

Exactly
Basically every second image I get for work is PNG. It's great for vector tracing.

gif as been redefined

no, my toolchain comes with FORTRAN

.mxf

Used by digital cinema, usually one file for audio and other for the motion picture (not really video, as every frame is stored as separate images, not like in compressed video)

>but it's pretty dead now a days.
It's used more than ever.
Now if only retards learned about APNG.

>PNG is dead
I like my low sized lossless images.

It's funny because to this day nothing has replaced mp3.

One could argue that Vorbis and Opus have, streaming seems to be quite popular and those are the most common codecs.

mp3 is still the #1 codec for internet radios

shoutcast.com

Nobody uses ogg or opus/

Who uses Internet radio? I'm talking about shit like Spotify, which uses Vorbis.

infinity broadcasting has used AAC for the longest time, reserving MP3 for legacy desktop stream clients (Windows Media Player, Winamp, etc)

Also, ogg is a container that both vorbis and opus use. You meant nobody uses vorbis and opus.

Not even private trackers use those garbo codecs desu

>Spotify

Which then gets recorded into mp3 so it can be played on normie stereos.

Everything that comes out of Spotify ends up mp3 one way or another.

What do private trackers have to do with music streaming?

It has to do with mp3 being the dominant codec and ogg/opus being meme codecs that essentially nobody uses.

Vorbis has seen some mild success with video games.

I'm talking about streaming, you dip. People don't choose their codec, they use what's thrown at them. In Spotify's case, that's Vorbis.

Who records it to mp3 for normie stereos? Every single stereo is bluetooth now.

I think it has more to do with pre-opus torrents still being around so it gives off the illusion that "nobody uses opus".

Even then, everyone hates Vorbis because it isn't PCM.

>spend all that time ripping a game disc's audio
>64kbit vorbis
>not only is it in a fucking compressed format, it's fucking Vorbis

>opus

Just use FLAC already. We aren't cavemen.

chiru.no:8081/stream.flac

>It isn't PCM
Redbook audio already died late in the 90s, m8. They were already using mp3s by then. It only got replaced by vorbis because it's royalty free.

ADPCM was used throughout the 00's. Still better than Vorbis

You still have to admit that 64kbit Vorbis was the worst thing that happened to video game music.

This. chiru.no/dl/ FLAC is doing much better against MP3 as a free audio codec compared to the other meme codecs.

anyone ever use shorten (shn) as an alternative to FLAC in the early days?

>64kbit
They seem to have overestimated its capabilities and bitstarved the shit out of the audio.

For home audio, sure. If you're a big site that needs to serve audio and video to a fuckton of people, opus wins by a long shot.

FLAC still does fine and is as popular as MP3 now. Can't say the same for the meme codecs.

>FLAC still does fine and is as popular as MP3 now.
Like I said, it is for home audio. but if you're talking about large scale streaming, FLAC is terrible. The reason why you'd use a lossy codec in the first place is for the bandwidth/storage space reduction.

Xiph's yellow pages and chiru.no has FLAC streams, and there's much more if you Google.

I'm listening to FLAC in real time right now. What seems to be the problem here?

Yes, we all know that FLAC can be streamed but there are reasons why you wouldn't want to in the first place. Are you even reading the posts? chiru.no doesn't even seem to be that big of a site. If you're a big site that intends to stream to millions of people with inconsistent speed among them, you would want to keep the size as small as possible.

As I said, there's bigger sites that use FLAC.

And they're probably aiming for the spendthrift audiophile market. If you have money for audio equipment, you have enough money for an internet connection. Meanwhile, Spotify aims for the lowest common denominator that mostly stream using shitty mobile internet that is data-limited and inconsistent with bandwidth.

Just .pro and .sav then I guess

Invalid. FLAC uses way less bandwidth than the average Twitch stream.

>What seems to be the problem here?
Anime doll right in front of you.

>Twitch
shitposter confirmed

I don't use Twitch, but it also uses less b/w than YouTube (Live or otherwise) and all of the other 60fps game stream sites with thousands of viewers

>Twitch
continue shitposting, I guess

AAC does that for Apple world.

google.com/search?tbs=ift:png&tbm=isch&q=bitch wut&oq=bitch wut

name a less obscure lossless, compressed image format with decent color space.

YAML

I guess Apple is the most successful threat to MP3's dominance then.

A while ago we were discussing it from a purely audio-streaming sense. Pulling Twitch, a VIDEO LIVE-STREAMING service, out of nowhere makes you a shitposter.

The conversation is about distribution. Your argument, which was proven invalid, was about bandwidth.

> low sized

You're the one moving the goalpost by suddenly pulling video out of nowhere, retard. You're purposefully increasing the complexity just to avoid admitting the fact that you already lost. You probably won't even admit that the circumstances where one would stream pure audio is completely different from streaming a video stream, let alone a livestream.

If the hundreds of millions of servers and people who stream video can do so without a problem, then they can stream FLAC, thus invalidating your argument.

.php

>You probably won't even admit that the circumstances where one would stream pure audio is completely different from streaming a video stream, let alone a livestream.
I was right.

How to make my own filetype?

Not really because Apple is the only one who still develops a mp3 encoder these days as a part of iTunes.

Are they even "developing" it? At this point, I'm assuming they're just maintaining it in order to keep it compatible.

That's a point you'll have to make, because so far you're wrong.

Yes, but internet radios are significantly less relevant than YouTube, which in turn uses webm/ogg

mp3 was feature frozen for like 20 years dude

If by legacy you mean not dumb enough to support a proprietary codec, then sure.

Dunno. But this guy tested 2016 version against lame, helix, etc.

d.hatena.ne.jp/kamedo2/touch/20170323/1490276874

Not to mention, the media distributed on private trackers is beholden to the uninformed superstitions of shallow luddites that argue over fucking bittorrent clients.

Most people browse YouTube with chrome, which uses h264/aac

ogg or opus still has no relevance, meanwhile sites like bandcamp and most other music stores have FLAC downloads.

Thanks for posting that shill image again. I almost took you seriously for a second, there.

Chrome prefers VP9/Opus video.

Twitch is a video platform, you literal retard.

reported for shilling your shitty board

Downloading != streaming. Of course the audience for downloading media would be different; downloading literally nixes all of the practical restraints that compels people to stream lossy in the first place. That's totally irrelevant.

Reported for announcing reports. And reported myself for announcing a report announcing reports.

First, you have to use your common sense to realize that video and audio stream providers target different lowest-common-denominators. Since audio is so easy to shrink, audio stream providers can target a much lower common denominator than video, especially in a bandwidth and data limited setting. Video streaming providers do not have the luxury because they have to provide video information along with the audio information. If you're watching video, you have to accept the fact that video will need more bandwidth than pure audio and will make sure that you're using fast, reliable internet that is not data limited (or for americans, huge data plans that come with home plans). If you're providing any type of media streaming with the goal of reaching as many people as possible, you're aiming to go as low as possible.

I just edited a yaml file today. It was my beets config.

>d.hatena.ne.jp/kamedo2/touch/20170323/1490276874
>posts jpg compressed image

Exactly. It's hard to discuss the relevancy and technical merit of any container when constraits vary platform-to-platform. To pretend like that's not a significant factor is very disingenuous.

>To pretend like that's not a significant factor is very disingenuous.
Which is exactly what you were doing. I keep arguing for bandwidth-limited scenarios but you just pulled Twitch out of nowhere like the disingenuous retard you are.

I'm literally agreeing with you. I'm not the same person, retard.

Does .s19 count? I have to use it for work because we make a product with an ancient microcontroller.

I thought I was the only one that was aware of this!

sorry, m8.

>no argument

>falling for bait involves an argument

It's not bait, retard. Spotify is big and expects millions of people to stream their shit 24/7. While they do provide flac, they know very well that it's niche and wouldn't be used by the average normie streaming their music over unreliable data-limited mobile internet. Sites that exclusively provide flac know they're niche and only provide flac so they have bandwidth to spare that can go towards streaming flac instead of providing bandwidth for different codecs to millions of people. xiph only has theirs for demonstrations or supplementary materials. There's also the fact that video is a different world and has a much higher bandwidth floor than audio. Some guy streaming a 480p stream is a different from the demographic that prefers his audio to be lossless.

So an inferior service like Spotify prefers inferior tech. What's even your point? This isn't the first time proprietary software does something wrong.

My point is up there in the thread.
Also
>proven wrong
>shifts goal towards the topic of "inferiority"

link?

TAK
The japs (or who ever ripped those doujin albums) have a hard on for non-flac lossless format and swear by TTA. Then you have SOME random fuck who goes even deeper and rip album as TAK

thanks to the webshits, "legacy" is here used to denote anything that isn't web based.

I exclusively archive stuff in .lzh

>PNG
>dead
Stop.
t. scanlator