Seems like the i3 8100 is a true quad core and performs better than an i5 7400 and as good as an i5 6600

Seems like the i3 8100 is a true quad core and performs better than an i5 7400 and as good as an i5 6600.
Is it worth to get considering its price ?

yes, just don't forget your deliding kit and -30% patches

Since all available Intel CPUs are affected by a design flaw compromising security it's, to put it mildly, a bad idea to purchase a new Intel CPU.

i'm not planning on purchasing it anytime soon tho

>buying BUG_CPU_INSECURE produts

Your choices are:
>BUG_CPU_INSECURE
>POO_CPU_MOARCOARS
Truly a time to be alive

>Implying more cores is a bad thing.
You buy Intel, don't you? : ^ )

There's a point of diminishing returns.

i guess i'll just fucking get a motherboard for my Q6600 and play minesweeper

>Using the "diminishing returns" argument in favour of Intel.
You really can't make this up.

I'm hijacking this thread to ask about FX-8320 vs G4600 opinions for video games and overall 'snappier' OS experience.

Buying a FX 8320 in current year is a big mistake. So is buying s G4600, save up a bit more for a decent CPU and you won't regret it.

Ryzen 3 my dude.
They are like 100 euros and faster than both of those.

I've been saving up for a few years and now is the time to buy. I have DDR3 and a broken motherboard.
I only have $200 to spend (VAT is 20% here)

>buying an old arch CPU with shit IPC
>or a gimped CPU with two cores in 20 fucking 18
>both on old deprecated sockets
Truly the king of brainlets
CPUs are as cheap as they've ever been. You can get true quadcores for under 100$.

Basically getting a ryze 3 is better than getting an i3 8100 considering the security update performance decrease ?

see

save soe moar and buy a Rysen 2400G, you can thank me later

Remember that the i3 8100 needs a z370 motherboard, which are on the more expensive side, while Ryzen chips are just fine in the cheaper B350 motherboards. So the generally superior Ryzen 1600 + mobo ends up being only a little more expensive than i3 8100 + mobo; alternatively, a Ryzen 1200 + mobo ends up result being $70 to $80 cheaper than i3 8100 combo, which could be enough to bump your planned graphics card up a tier.

A Ryzen 1200 + GeForce 1060 will be a much nicer gaming machine than an i3 8100 + GeForce 1050 Ti, for example.

wish there was a viable alternative

Well, yes of course. Don't forget that the patches are just workarounds. The CPU is still flawed by design. Nothing changed in the CPU after updating your OS. Knowingly buying a defective CPU is literally batshit insane.

Well, Ryzen exists. It's not ideal that there's only one real alternative (sorry VIA) but that's all we have now.

Jesus christ i just did some research on this and even after the update, the flaw can still be exploited.
my nigga Ryzen i'm coming for you

>i've been saving up for years
>i have 200$
are you 12 or the poorest african?

Worse, eastern european. FX-8320 costs $135 here. Ryzen 1400 is $195 alone.

It's not a VIABLE alternative.

Ryzen 5 1600
thank me later.

see

Why not? Last time I checked Ryzen is plenty for gaming, less expensive than Intel and most importantly, has no flaws in its silicon.

I'm genuinely curious why you don't think Ryzen is viable.

>Last time I checked Ryzen is plenty for gaming,
even the i7 8700k doesn't perform when it comes to emulation

Well, to be honest, emulation is a bit of an edge case. If you need as much processing power as you can get your hand on then Intel has the fastest cpus. It's really far beyond the point of diminishing returns though.

yeah well even then, these days lots of people have high refreshrate monitors, and "enough" is a vague term, with higher performance always being better than "enough"

not that guy, but that’s not the use case that was asked about, so what’s your point?

threadly reminder

I bet you don't actually understand the implications of the patch and you're just regurgitating vague media statements

>syscall overhead dont real
well yeah if you're using it for babby's first gayman "battlestation", shit ain't gonna be too bad if you're lucky
srs bzns shit tho?
hah

what are you using it for? do you run a data center?

>want to buy new laptop
>can't help but think of defective CPU everytime I see Intel CPU on the laptop specs
I hate it.

>want to buy a new laptop
>the only AMD processors are old ass shitty APUs

Yeah, having to buy a laptop now is completely fucked.

>In any event, Intel's downplaying of meaningful consequences from Meltdown and Spectre appears to have become unsustainable after Red Hat last week said the impact of patches ranged from 1 to 20 per cent in its benchmarks and Microsoft on Tuesday said something similar.

Don't forget that besides the performance losses the CPU is still bugged. Your OS should prevent exploits because of patches (workarounds) but the CPU is still a vulnerable clusterfuck that you wouldn't buy in the first place.

so when is the next gen of ryzen?

> Is it worth to get considering its price ?
Nope. Don't buy any old Intel CPUs if you value performance. Wait for new designs or buy AMD.

This.

The only sensible options is to wait for Intel CPUs not having this hardware flaw. That's gonna take a while. If you need a new x86 CPU now there is only AMD or VIA if you must.

Yeah, I would rather wait until intel fixes the hardware issue with new CPUs than get an AMD.

>intel fanboi
>literal stockholm syndrome
wow, shocking and unexpected

Since you don't know how long it's gonna take that's a pretty big commitment. Especially for Intel fanbois who exclusively use their "rigs" for "gaming".

Patches are out for os and microcode for all the z370 boards. My coffeelake cpu is secure, performance hit blows though

Bios patches are out, its fixed

>My coffeelake cpu is secure
How is Coffeelake not vulnerable?

>performs better than an i5 7400 and as good as an i5 6600.
And? i7 is the way to go lad.

>i7 is the way to go lad.
i7, like all Intels are broken. That not really the way to go, fa.m

You can get six cores at $40

Bios microcode patch and OS updates.

It's actually a rebranded quad core kaby lake die.

You got bamboozled fa.m. Those are workarounds for the silicon bug.

The implementation of the security patch does not change the fact that meltdown and all the specter exploits are patched on my machine

doesn't matter when you purchase it, it will still have the problem

buy ryzen 3 or wait for the APUs

That's no different for coffee lake then all other fucked cpus.

And that patch is a work around. The CPU is fundamentally flawed.

The implementation of the security patch does not change the fact that meltdown and all the specter exploits are still possible on your CPU. Your OS just tries to not have any useful data lingering there.

>Seems like

Only with lightly parallelized workloads. In a properly multi-threaded environment, mo coars is mo betta. For instance. When I run docker containers for development, my ryzen absolutely crushes my previous i7.

My company just had a complete shitstorm on our database cluster because of the patch,

The patch mitigates the exploit
No shit all i said is the patches are out for the bugs

It would bother me that I am buying rebadged Kaby Lake. Cheaper CPU, but more expensive mobo.

I'd only buy Intel used I think.

if you like Intel ME backdoors than yes.

FX-8320 in NL is about 90 euro

Are you emulating PS3 or something? Even phones are enough for emulation.

So don't forget to ignore the memes.

That was patched months ago. Amd has the same thing

yes

So, remaining vulnerable and not overclocking despite supposedly needing high single-thread performance? Seems like your entire use case is a meme.

P E N T I U M
C
E
L
E
R
O
N

>deliding locked i3s
Mhm