I keep hearing over the years that studying algorithms makes you an infinitely better programmer

I keep hearing over the years that studying algorithms makes you an infinitely better programmer.
I believe this is true but I have no formal education in it. I tried CLRS but it seems too steep a learning slope. Any gentle books out there? Currently looking at algorithm design. Seems better.

Other urls found in this thread:

courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/spring17/mcs.pdf
jeffe.cs.illinois.edu/teaching/algorithms/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I keep hearing over the years that studying algorithms makes you an infinitely better programmer.
That's like saying studying road signs make you a better driver. Of course it does. It's a mandatory part of becoming one.

CLRS need as prerequisite
courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/spring17/mcs.pdf

Proof,induction,graph,...
jeffe.cs.illinois.edu/teaching/algorithms/
Another free book

Thanks all

books suck, find some open uni course

ya, im coming to terms with that.

>I keep hearing over the years that studying algorithms makes you an infinitely better programmer.
It doesn't. Like most things, the majority of work requires a minority of the material. Colleges and employers over emphasize algorithms and data structures because they're easy to test for. I'd rather live in a world without ten argument functions, classes where the only constructor takes a single string and parses it into several fields, projects in dynamically typed languages without tests, custom binary formats, and a bunch of other shit I can't pin down in my head right now because I've spent large chunks of my waking hours trying to expunge it. If you want to get good at programming, you should program, not jerk off to self balancing trees.

How many years of working do you have user? Dont take this offensively.

If you learn algorithms purely by memorization so that you can't apply what you learned outside the canned problems then of course you won't have use for them. If you actually understood the algorithms so that you could apply the underlying concepts other problems you'd find that algorithms is extremely useful.

Algorithm Design is the more noob friendly book by far.

Probably adds up to two years full time at this point, but I've been doing some kind of part time work, internship, or undergraduate research since high school. I'm not starting my first salaried job until I graduate.

>If you learn algorithms purely by memorization so that you can't apply what you learned outside the canned problems then of course you won't have use for them. If you actually understood the algorithms so that you could apply the underlying concepts other problems you'd find that algorithms is extremely useful.
What concepts? Dynamic programming? The value of learning data structures and algorithms is being able to process or organize data in efficient and convenient ways and recognize when and which algorithm or data structure is applicable.

This is why you don't listen to people on /g. It's the blind leading the blind.

>This is why you don't listen to people on /g. It's the blind leading the blind.
The ironing.

Read Sedgewick.

Have you read Sedgewick?

>algorithm design
Try Skiena

Another tip, if CLRS seems too difficult and you really want to tacke it you have to learn how to do proofs. Pick up "How to Prove it" by Velleman or . I also recommend checking out the /sci/ wiki.

Good tips
no, I havent.

Seconding the Algorithm Design Manual by Skiena. It's much more interesting than CLRS imo.

google the ebook foundation github

thanks user, ill have a look :) currently giving mit opencourseware a go. I like the lecture and plenty of problem cases to test my knowledge.

Eva's book is great.

are you just saying that cause eva your qt?

algorithms are for morons that never heard of operations research

in a motherly way.