/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtu.be/3UHBHLzM6Cg

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/s-YKyDkpXbc
youtu.be/jkhc25z_seE
youtu.be/d8X02JJkCU8
youtu.be/xrTOd6eOcGE
pages.ebay.com/help/policies/offensive.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Hello wt

Rate please

I just bought a Garmin Fenix 5 and I feel like I'm betraying my Citizen.

any 41mm diver recommendations?

>gotta save that 15 bucks

11/10

congratulations you bought an ugly electronic watch and own an ugly quartz watch

this

One thousand bucks for a fucking watch? I thought /ptg/ is the dumbest one here. Well, I guess I was wrong.

Anyone ever have an issue where the date changes properly around midnight but the day changes later around 4AM? I've read that you can fix the date issue by removing and replacing the hands at the new 12:00 position but I can't find any info about day and date changes becoming out of sync.

Wait til you see my Patek

That's a common design in many watch movements. There's nothing to fix.

It's one thing to have different tastes, and another to flat out insult watches.

2/10

if you change the hands then the date will change at 8pm and the day at midnight

>Patek
At least it sounds cool

Yes it is one thing to have different taste. Like buying an skx over a vostok. It's another to buy a quartz shitter mall watch.

>mall watch
>immediately brings up cheap walmart and amazon watches that aren't as accurate as quartz
I literally can't even begin to understand your autism.

You can wear an skx or a vostok in public without looking like a 14 year old. That's the difference.

>fixed bezel
What does that mean? Bezel for decoration?

You're right, you won't look like a 14 year old. You'll look like a 34 year old manchild that works at Dominoes and thinks he's a diver because he swims at the local public pools.

hmm i do wonder what a fixed bezel is in contrast to a rotating one

bait/10

I mean, it still has a timer bezel but it doesn't rotate? What's the point?

>Seiko diver
>Citizen dive strap

Just means a non-rotating bezel.

Apparently my brother-in-law's father had a Patek pocketwatch in the 50's that he traded for a motorcycle. What the fuck. How much would one of those be worth now?

Of course the bike is long gone too.

i just think its funny honestly

i think it comes with a smooth one. could be wrong though

>not liking amazon watches

You better not be talking shit about my casio bois

Oh, okay. It's a pretty weird wording.

Anywhere from 600usd to 1000 times that much.

Are you actually trying to talk that shit with that fucking citizen?

What is a "good" cheap diver?

I'm looking at mechanical and quartz solar.

Budget, 150ish.

I want a pilot watch, preferably German and automatic. It shouldn't be too expensive cause I already spent 3k on a watch this year.

Any recs?

Started the service on my movado, had to improvise a tool to unscrew the Ratchet and crown wheel.
I forgot to take pics of the movement tho

can't go wrong with a Vostok Amphibia

Seiko SKX is your only option

>I'm looking at mechanical and quartz solar.

Is this slav shit actually reliable? Or is it just tankie pinkos hyping it?

Other question. I wear a gold wedding ring, and a gold college ring. Will it look bad to wear this?

Nice KS.

from the accounts i've read online they can last 20+ years without servicing
not sure how much i believe it though
the general consensus is that they are reliable and tough

Sounds like my gps will be going to Toronto, though not for a few weeks, since he's going to Montreal. Now I just have to figure out how to get them there from New York

>Other question. I wear a gold wedding ring, and a gold college ring. Will it look bad to wear this?
no

Movements are tough and reliable. Bracelets are shitty. Suspect quality control. The bezels don't click. You have to adjust the date windows by winding the hands between midnight and 09:45pm. Basically, you get what you pay for.

Pic related - it's my amphibia with after-market bracelet on

hi guys, new guy here. Just picked up this sweet russian watch off the 'bay.

thanks,
dave

that's illegal

ebay won't let you sell anything with a swastika on it that's not an anti nazi book

youtu.be/s-YKyDkpXbc
youtu.be/jkhc25z_seE
youtu.be/d8X02JJkCU8
youtu.be/xrTOd6eOcGE

Vostoks in general are pretty tough.

that's an amphibia with a komandirskie dial right?

That is totally false

What really? Wow really gets the grey matter going.

Orient Ray/Mako II

looks like a 420 case

No it’s true

Look it up

reliable yes but the chrome plated komandirskies feel like toys so i wouldn't touch those

r8

I don't have to there is tons of shit on eBay with a swastika on it. ebay has this policy

but that doesnt ban tons of historical items and the like. that watch would be fine to sell on ebay.

patrick star/10

Obesity/10

LOL it says right there that the stuff is banned

oh i hope not. don't want the rozzers knocking down my door

cheers,
dave

Vostok
SKX
RayII or MakoII

>pages.ebay.com/help/policies/offensive.html
No it does not this does not ban historical items. it would ban you from selling a t shirt that says fuck kikes on it not a coin minted by the third Reich.

At least wait another thread before reposting, you baiting faggot.

Also I love how Hitler is all sad because he lost.

explain to me how a watch with a swastika printed largely on the face 20 years after the war is a coin minted by the third Reich

Who the fuck said its a coin? In the context of its production it was not meant to glorify the nazi regime. IT would be perfectly fine to sell that on ebay you brainlet fuck.

you're not the brightest in the bunch are you user?

lol try to sell post war swastika items on ebay and tell me how that works out for you

Find me the rule that says you are right or fuck off. There are literally hundreds of thousands of reproduction pieces on ebay right now with Hitler's face and swastika's on them. Things are only removed if users report them and ebay staff finds them to break the above rule.

Banned:

Any item made after 1933 that bears a swastika (e.g., jewelry, clothing, rugs, fabrics), unless listed in the allowed section above. We are sensitive that the swastika is commonly and legitimately used in religions, including Hinduism and Buddhism. However, given the highly offensive nature of the Nazi swastika, we have decided to not allow any non-historic items bearing a swastika.

Told

i am not breaking any laws though am i?

dave

all the laws

Is this a decent flieger?

I'd prefer German but they're fucking expensive.

oh good heavens

Quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever seen, never gets old.

what the fuck dave take your meds already dammit

is that you Gloria?

did kevin set you up on here too?

>At least it sounds cool
Until you hear people pronounce it as "paddock".

speaking of fliegers, does anyone here regularly use the complications on their watches to measure things besides time?

Talking of improvisation how would you go about removing a caseback that's seemingly glued shut? My case opener can't budge it open, I presume the ancient seal has basically turned into hard rubber concrete.

Rate please

$300 7s26/10

I regularly time the chips with old subby

this

this desu. the SKX has its sole focus on costing 200 dollarydoos and as a result, its quite shit

enjoy your ban, how old was she?

why did he remove his post

Was this one of the "it's a different image as a thumbnail" things?

checked
i don't think so user. image was same as thumbnail for me

my strapcode bracelet came with really shit springbars, so the endlinks can move on one side.

any ideas?

No. Why would you consider this over a Laco with a Miyota 9015?

yeah - the diagnosis is you have bad springbars, and as such the endlinks can move on one side.
you've already said whats wrong so why dont you get better bars lol

because no one else has reported this problem and they are the stock springbars i received with the bracelet yesterday.

i was hoping someone with a strapcode might chime in

The SKX as sold is only good if you actually care about ISO dive watch certification, as it makes compromises in terms of movement, bracelet quality and cosmetic QC to hit that price.

I spent quite a bit extra to upgrade mine to a 6r15, a sapphire crystal, and have someone make sure the bezel/chapter ring/dial alignment were perfect. To me it was worth it as the SKX design is one of the very few divers I like, but don't fool yourself into thinking the stock SKX doesn't make significant compromises to hit its target price.

Is this appropriate for every day wear?

Who did you get to do that I’m considering doing it myself with my SKX007J I would love to get the bezel to Match 100%

Where did you get the NDL strap?

my SKX007 oyster from strapcode came with 2mm factory seiko bars that fit exactly right