What is your backup solution? Are any cloud services worth anything...

What is your backup solution? Are any cloud services worth anything? Right now I literally copy paste my hdd to an external drive once every couple months.

Other urls found in this thread:

backblaze.com/b2/storage-pod.html
0bin.net/paste/amZXLzPHUssjeRf6#
tinyurl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

cut/paste and move all my shit over onto a USB drive or my external HDD

External HDD is the best solution, or if you've your own fucking NAS or server then use that for back instead or both. At least those aren't linked to the NSA botnets. Better safe than sorry, despite that WD drives do have a backdoor though

>Trusting the fucking cloud botnets with your files

borg

>What is your backup solution?
RAID spray

I'm worried about a fire or other natural disaster. Right now if my house is destroyed so is all my data. Maybe I just buy an extra backup drive and store it at my parents.

second HDD with rsync

Encrypted archive on usb stick.

>What is your backup solution?
BUP to another machine with RAID.

Borgbackup also looks nice.

> Are any cloud services worth anything?
Works as a secondary backup. Having 2 backups is not a bad idea BTW.

Software for doing storage clouds like Ceph or such would also be pretty hot as RAID replacement if it wasn't quite so unstable and difficult to manage (at this point, it kinda is).

> Right now I literally copy paste my hdd to an external drive once every couple months
Yea, don't do that. You'll not have the most important stuff (which often is the recent shit) and you'll make mistakes.

I do the same thing, except I paste backups to two hard drives just in case one of them fails prematurely.

What's the least botnet cloud service out there? I considered Mega but there have been rumors about it closing down due to cost or something.

>I do the same thing, except I paste backups to two hard drives just in case one of them fails prematurely.
Again, strongly suggesting to automate this.

Not only does it possibly take less time, you'll also not have the problem where you make a mistake and, say, copy the backups the wrong way around or whatever. Or something shutting your PC down before it's done.

> What's the least botnet cloud service out there?
You never know what they do, but backblaze has some level of sympathy with me since they shared their storage server hardware design ( backblaze.com/b2/storage-pod.html ).

Obviously the software would be more important with regards to botnet or not, but that's about as good as it gets I guess.

Apart from that, there is various software that can use the Amazon S3 API which is basically the big "cloud" storage interface standard right now, even with non-Amazon services. You could freely pick every month/year if you used that.

>copy paste my hdd to an external drive once every couple months.

That is actually the best method.

At most you might consider an additional off-site backup in case of fire/flood/theft.

> large potential for mistakes
> large potential to not have been done recently 'cause you had other stuff on your mind and you do it only once in a long while anyhow
> no checksums, no versioning
> no compression or delta files
> slow as fuck if you could have only copied files that have a different modified date for most backups
Not such a great solution, really. Backup software can do most things better.

as simple as "rsync -a $src $dest".
I have a cronjob that runs weekly, copies the important folders and writes to a file as it progresses to let me know that it's progressing and then writes the time of backup when it finishes. Couldn't be easier.

nextcloud

This

A cron job with ssh rsync syncing data from an aux server I have no root access on anymore to my home server.

>dd if=/dev/sda od=/dev/sdb; sha512sum /dev/sda /dev/sdb > backup.checksum512
>lot of opportunity for mistakes

>delta files, compression, cloud, proprietary software

Yeah now that's what I call robust!

>proprietary software
implying that's a necessity
>being an idiot

That's really quite bad, it requires readonly mount for everything on sda or sdb else someone writes to sda or sdb and your backup filesystem can actually possibly be broken plus your checksums likely will be wrong.

Apart from that you try to rescue and you figure out you have a checksum error. Since you didn't do it filewise, That only leaves you the WHOLE drive to investigate whether it's a file you can replace (some program or whatever) with an intact one or not. Not terribly clever.

>cloud
Has nobody learned anything from the fappening?

If you care that much about keeping backups elsewhere:
>buy a cheap desktop, put debian stable on it
>leave the fucker on in your parents basement and backup with rsync over ssh
>???
>Profit!

>HURR WE NEED MATHEMTICALLY PERFECT BUT USELESS ALGORITMH
>DURR WE NED MATHEMATIC VALIDATION FOR A TECHNIQUE USED TO MAKE ARBITRARY DECISIONS OR ANAYLZE ARBITRARY DATA CREATED BY HUMAN BEHAVIOR

Fuck off

Fileserver with ZFS and a cold storage backup of that on a 10TB IronWolf disk.

>big pile of linear algebra
For most deep learning architectures, the most important part is the nonlinearity. A linear machine learning solution is quite primitive and not what is used in important applications like image recognition and others.

if your parents have a network set up a cheap backup server at their house and have an automated backup script.

well at least i now know that Sup Forums can't do backup for shit

1 fuckton of LTO3 tapes.
It's the cheapest cost per gigabyte that exists right now.

I encode it into sexy lady pictures and post them on /s/.

Drop box

Office 365 family for 1 year is 99 dollars but you can get them off of ebay for 60 dollars. Just make sure you so not buy the educational edition. Get the one where you'll get a serial key.

What's included besides MS office for 5 people?

1 TB storage each via Onedrive (5 TB).

You can also use any random ass client and do encrypted full backups of your entire system... So you don't need the onedrive client.

60 dollars a year for 5 TB? You ain't gonna find cheaper even if you pimp put your mother.

BTW eBay usually has 15 dollar off deals so I pick them up for 45 dollars a year.

Git good faggits.

>it requires readonly mount for everything on sda or sdb
Oh god the horror. If only there was a flag you could add when invoking mount to do that.

>Apart from that you try to rescue and you figure out you have a checksum error. Since you didn't do it filewise, That only leaves you the WHOLE drive to investigate whether it's a file you can replace (some program or whatever) with an intact one or not.

Yep it either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't work you do it again. If it doesn't work again you probably have a hardware problem.

>Not terribly clever.
The lack of trying to be clever is what makes it clever.
>I wish i had a back up copy of this
>well compress it and use delta encoding and add in some logic to handle changes to the system while back up is in progress and then send it to some guy you don't know and trust him with it and...

>Your hard drives is a file. Use this program that copies files.
>b-but it might not make a perfect copy that's why you need all this proprietary software and logic to tell
>Yeah copy errors while rare do happen. Here use this open source well understood program designed for verifying copy accuracy that uses a common algorithm you can get an implementation of on just about every architecture
>That's not clever. How will people know how smart I am

>Oh god the horror. If only there was a flag you could add when invoking mount to do that.
Regardless this means your machine is effectively semi useless to useless for the duration until two or more drives have backed up.

> Yep it either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't work you do it again. If it doesn't work again you probably have a hardware problem.
You just had a write of any kind. It'll change the checksum between the backup and sha-summing the drive.

But assuming you got any problem later when you restore, yea, you're kinda SOL. 10TB (or whatever size your drives are) of data, and all you know is that SOMEWHERE there is an error. Filewise checksums are much smarter.

> The lack of trying to be clever is what makes it clever
Nah, but do what you want if that doesn't faze you.

> well compress it and use delta encoding and add in some logic to handle changes to the system while back up is in progress
The only difference to all the crazy tricks your kernel and filesystem may be doing is that you think you don't understand one of them.

Neither is difficult to use though. It's not you doing all these tricks by hand after all, it's software.

Consider using Sia.

>What is your backup solution? Are any cloud services worth anything? Right now I literally copy paste my hdd to an external drive once every couple months.
I have no valuable data

But math works perfectly for that, since it's nothing more than a set of arbitrary data created by human behavior to help us make arbitrary decisions so we can feel validated.

Fuck the cloud i aint got the bandwidth and dont want botnet

Copy and paste using terracopy to prevent dupes around every 6months mirrored to an offline small form factor external drive so i can always run away with my laptop if need be and be golden

Im not fan of automation because i use the opportunity to sort and file stuff away properly and remove cruft

only problem is i have been mirroring 4TB so that means managing 8TB and i had 2 x 2TB fucking seagates roll over this fucking year and i have been poor

Didnt loose anything because of my strategy but its 2017 and i am back to hodge podge collection of smaller drives like i had in 2007

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE not happpy (pic related)

rsync

Run when you're asleep.

- Music on Google Play.
- Misc documents/scans on Google Drive.
- Remaining stuff right now on S3, but am looking into moving it over to BackBlaze when I run out of free storage there.
- I also keep a hard-drive or two locally.

Ideally I wouldn't use all the Google stuff but I use gmail for my main email so not really concerned until I can change everything off at once.

Any good alternatives I'm missing? I don't really want to run my own servers.

I don't store anything valuable. If I start thinking something is valuable, I re-check my life priorities, and it passes.

This but with more hdds.

Holy shit dude.

I have a hdd connected to my laptop dock. My laptop runs a wrapper script every hour with cron that tries to detect the hdd and run borgbackup when its detected, it also automatically deletes backups after a certain amount of time. Heres the script:
0bin.net/paste/amZXLzPHUssjeRf6#
You obviously have to replace $USER and $PASSWORD with your user and backup password. the script is run with "script.sh HOSTNAME". It served me well for some time now

Amazon glacier.

>he has actual important files
I wonder what it’s like to have an important/worthwhile life.

messed up the paste, heres a new link:
tinyurl dot com slash y8mpmegs

I use MEGA for most stuff. They offer a lot of space for free, and it's very handy to use.

For more important and personal things, I have an external drive.

Private git repositories. Version control and duplication for everything I care about.

Movies and shit, whatever, I can download them again.

I do full weekly backups semi-automatically

I have 3 copies on 2 separate media and 1 offisite. All encrypted of course.

There is nothing wrong with using the cloud as long as your files are encrypted, like they should be regardless of their location.

This is a great place for long term storage (year+), hopefully never.

Their cost is 0.4 cents /GB/mo, however their outgoing bandwidth price is astronomical, at 9 cents/GB in the cheapest.

I'd like to set up a home VPN, with a my own sort of google drive like setup.