Hey guys, /k/ommando here, im looking into getting into amateur radio. Is there any hams here...

Hey guys, /k/ommando here, im looking into getting into amateur radio. Is there any hams here? What do you reccomend to get started and what are my options? Budget is 300-500. Thanks!

:^)

I was thinking of buying a ham radio/shortwave radio, but want to know what is the best model for the same price range? Also, do I need a giant antenna? What is a great guide on that shit? I might just search YouTube/Google myself.

More height will help but you don't need it. I've had my antennas mounted on a 4m telescoping antenna mast for months.

Could I do Shortwave without an antenna, I think I could, but it would probably be a very shitty experience. What brands of shortwave and ham radio should I stay away from? I know some brands are shit.

You're going to get much better performance with an antenna, you just need a wire.
>Brands
I'm not that well versed with hardware yet, I've just got a few BTECH and Baofeng HTs, I'm also in this thread because I want a mobile radio.

>using the smiley with the carat nose

My advice: Dont

I have read on here that in order to get a US license, you need to have a public callsign. That public call sign needs to have your address in public records, so anyone could come up and knock on your door if they heard your call sign.

>/k/ommando here, im looking into getting into amateur radio.
no, you're not gonna be the next alex jones

Cmon guys, i expected at least some advice

k is a progressive board

delet this

A database where you can look up someone's address? Oh how terrifying!

>I have read on here that in order to get a US license, you need to have a public callsign. That public call sign needs to have your address in public records, so anyone could come up and knock on your door if they heard your call sign.

It only has to be a location where you can receive mail. In all honesty, you could make up an address, or pick a random one (I'd recommend a PO box though)

Kek'd

bump

Not wanting to dox yourself isn't a reason to not get a radio. Literally just query the FCC database for an unused callsign that you like and start using it. Been doing it for years and nobody has noticed.

I'm going to laugh my ass off when I see your thread about what to do about that $10000 fine from the FCC.

You are correct.

In practice, nobody gives a shit. You can also be looked up on the public records websites or if you're ever bought a house. I think you can get a PO Box for the licensing if it was a big issue.

Hey, Hamanon here, great to see you checking out the hobby. I can't recommend something in your price range, as all my stuff is cheaper than that, but once you get your license I'd some cheap, fun Baofeng "garbage" radios. I have an ICOM 2300H, which is 2M only for my main base radio at home, but I like just chatting so it works for me. I paid about $120 for it used.

Have you ever read the FCC fine reports? That shit is hilarious.

>once you get your license
Why wait? You can still use it as a scanner for police/fire/ems and local repeaters, NOAA weather, etc.

You're totally right, I just figured it was easier to advise spending the money after you have the license in hand.

They shut down their monitoring stations in the 90s, no longer give a shit about the amateur bands, and hold very little investigative or regulatory power in the field. That's the reason why pirate radio stations can stay up for years by throwing away their notes and driving their van to a different location.
>sucking up to an agency that cucks you this hard

Any source for this? I've read enforcements against hams in the late 2000s.