Redpill me on learning functional programming

Redpill me on learning functional programming.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EYMeOLpk5_8
medium.com/@konradmusial/why-oop-is-bad-and-possibly-disastrous-e0844fa96c1f
fsharpforfunandprofit.com
debug.elm-lang.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's nice.

Rust is the best of both worlds.

first xD

Is good for your soul

youtube.com/watch?v=EYMeOLpk5_8

Name any major software that's been built with FP
>PROTIP: You can't

Honest question,

What's wrong with OOP?

Like, yes tons of files and abstraction can be messy, but in real life situation, why is bad and why is required in every job if it's bad?

emacs

medium.com/@konradmusial/why-oop-is-bad-and-possibly-disastrous-e0844fa96c1f

OOP is fucking bad when you learn procedural and functional programming.

Is just terrible.

Autocad and crash bandicoot (psx)

It's not OOP itself that's bad, it's a specific type of OOP that sucks, the type of OOP you find in Java and shit.

I would but that would cause a side effect.

FP is a containment language for extreme autism.

So just because a bunch of hipster said so ?

Cause I work on a large SF company , I could never make them change away from OOP

I’m in interview process with airbnb right now , everything is OOP , why the fuck should I learn functional ? Just because some hipster guy in medium hates OOP

I’m honestly asking in a sense that “for someone’s career”

i was literally about to make a thread about how fun functional programming languages can be

>my carreer life dream is to work with pajeet and rajeest developing some POO project in a POO language where half the development team in a thirld world country

Functional is starting to permeate your POO language whether you like it or not pajeet. You'd best get familiar with it.

Is either that or frogposting from my parents basement

because you can do this
>>> fizz = lambda x: ['fizz' if num % 3 == 0 else 'buzz' if num % 5 == 0 else num for num in range(1, x)]
>>> fizz(100)
[1, 2, 'fizz', 4, 'buzz', 'fizz', 7, 8, 'fizz', 'buzz', 11, 'fizz', 13, 14, 'fizz', 16, 17, 'fizz', 19, 'buzz', 'fizz', 22, 23, 'fizz', 'buzz', 26, 'fizz', 28, 29, 'fizz', 31, 32, 'fizz', 34, 'buzz', 'fizz', 37, 38, 'fizz', 'buzz', 41, 'fizz', 43, 44, 'fizz', 46, 47, 'fizz', 49, 'buzz', 'fizz', 52, 53, 'fizz', 'buzz', 56, 'fizz', 58, 59, 'fizz', 61, 62, 'fizz', 64, 'buzz', 'fizz', 67, 68, 'fizz', 'buzz', 71, 'fizz', 73, 74, 'fizz', 76, 77, 'fizz', 79, 'buzz', 'fizz', 82, 83, 'fizz', 'buzz', 86, 'fizz', 88, 89, 'fizz', 91, 92, 'fizz', 94, 'buzz', 'fizz', 97, 98, 'fizz']

>I don't have projects on github I develop on my free time
>literally my only goal in life is being another wageslave so my wife can fuck another refugee while I work and my taxes pay the welfare of some african in my city

Functional programmers exist in a fantasy world. A world without state, without debuggers, without cache misses, without network latencies and with hardware particularities. Functional programming is a way for real computer scientists to hide from the real world. I can see why too. Because they're also hiding from a world without Chads, without girls and maybe most importantly, without users.
FP also a club. The club members feel elite and self important. Kind of like users of Linux in the early 90s. Real UNIX professionals didn't want anything to do with dirty PC hardware. The typical PC users were too stupid to use anything UNIX related, including Linux. So Linux users felt special. The difference here of course is that Linux is actually useful. Likewise, productive developers don't have time to waste on silly faff like monads and lambdas. But that's ok because the casual computer user is mesmerized by the alleged "profound elegance" of FP which makes the functional programmer feel quite good about their life choices.

If your shitpost takes longer to write than it takes me to call you retarded you've failed.

In other words, you don't have a job and nobody you know in real life can stand being around you.
But, on the plus side, you're a redpilled genius who's figured everything out.

I made you read. I'm sorry.

>buttmad wagies

okay wagecuck, enjoy having a job I guess.
without your hard working money funding the welfare state I maybe could have been forced to find a job.

thanks for those taxes, cuck.

I'm going to listen to a guy who still has his mom clean his skid marks.

But where ? How ? I’ve been working in tech for 7 years and I see no evidence of what you’re saying

>thinking having projects in your GitHub account actually makes a difference

sure buddy , you’re probably an expert making “bank” writing cobol for a bank

>hardware particularities

hardware is designed with functional languages you retard

>implying poos won't master FP if it ever makes it into the business world

i think every programmer should understand how to use map and reduce. theyre both stupid useful for mutating data

functional programming 101 in general is really useful and it's a cool thing to visit once you have solid iterative programming fundamentals.

however, i do not believe advanced functional programming is all that useful to a beginner because it gets really hobby-ist really quickly imo. if you're an intermediate/advanced programmer, then i suggest it as it'll be a challenge and it'll definitely improve how you think about approaching shit

lol? modern javascript is extremely functional, tons of the newer server side frameworks favor functional programming, graphql as a concept has a lot of functional influences

oh wait you're probably working some dead end enterprise java job. you don't see anything new and cool period bitch

I do hardware design. There are sprinklings of it around chip design. Like Lisp via SKILL for example. But for the most part chip designers are way too pragmatic to get too involved with FP.
Also, you seem to have misrepresented my position entirely. By mistake on purpose would only be a guess. When I'm talking about hardware particularities, I'm talking about things like tuning DMA controllers, adapting to off chip trace impedances and implementing quirks from vendor SoC errata pages. The real world of computer design. People who bring up boards just so they can be slammed to a screeching halt with FP bloatware.

>bitch
Lol

I’m a mobile dev , used to do Android until pajeets filled the market , then iOS and now I’m doing Swift and React Native for a Billion Dollar company in Downtown SF

I got contacted by airbnb because they seem to need React Native , and I’m interviewing for it on Monday

I know JavaScript might get heavily FP based but I thought that was the reason everyone hated it and moved to fucking frameworks , like I’m not a pajeet , i enjoy my job and being a wagecuck , but I simply don’t understand frog posters with zero experience in the real world trying to blind themselves in the fact that they have no useful skills in the real world

Puppet's language is declarative, and it's the leading enterprise configuration management software.
create_resources(user, $myusers)

Why don't you just try picking up a functional language and see if you like it. Or are you so jaded you can't enjoy learning new things anymore so you just declare everything that would require effort to learn as useless.

This. "OOP" vs "Functional" is a false dichotomy, you can program functionally in an "OOP language" or do OOP in a "Functional language", but most popular OOP langs are super verbose and just utter shit tier for implementing proper functional concepts. You don't have to use lisp/haskell to do FP, but you sure as hell won't learn the discipline behind FP very well without learning such languages. And knowing Typed Functional Programming is BY FAR more useful than just having half-assed OOP+procedural skills under your belt. Unfortunately, it's one of those things you have to experience for yourself, because just saying "it helps clarify your thinking about problems, and makes them easier to reason about" doesn't do it justice.

OP: try going through some of the stuff on this site:
fsharpforfunandprofit.com

then move on to pic related when you feel ready. Thank me later.

No , i thought I leave that clear when I said that I’ve been switching languages constantly

I’ll take a look to it , again liking it doesn’t make it useful on the industry

And people here are claiming somehow it’s killing OOP

>without debuggers
Nigga what
debug.elm-lang.org

even the inventor of haskell admits it was a mistake

The main problem with OOP these days is that processors aren't really getting any faster. In order to continue to scale performance programs need to be able to make use of more and more cores effectively. The paradigm behind OOP is all about hiding implementation details from the user. This is a problem when you try to make things parallel. You can find yourself in an unintended state and cause a race condition, or multiple objects could hide mutexes and mutually cause a deadlock. Parallelising a purely functional program like Haskell is trivial by comparison because there is no state and all data is immutable, so race conditions are impossible. There are other benefits but I'd say that's the main reason functional programming is becoming a hot topic again despite existing since the 1960s as Lisp and the 1940s as Lambda Calculus.

[citation needed]

Is there a way to read that book without paying for it?

Learn Scottish Gaelic while you're at it, you'll be able to read some scotch whiskey bottles. You'll have about as much use for it.

Put a gun in your mouth and blow your fucking brains out.

More money for me faggot.

libgen dot io

But that’s assuming we’re still gonna be using desktop computers

Like yes I hate the “what’s a computer” Apple meme , but how can you say processors haven’t gotten faster when phones have more and more capabilities every day

Granted , it’s not going to be forever but then we’ll probably move to the next thing , let’s say AR Glasses , and then we’re on the same cycle where languages are OOP , hardware is good enough to run and consumerism slowly updates the product to a point where bigger and more complex apps exist

I don’t see how one can think that phones are not getting faster , unless you’re measure is Mario Galaxy 2 on dolphin, phones are moving forward

And by the time they don’t we’re all going to be using another thing

Modern React is based on functional programming concepts. For example: stateless functional components, Redux, and Redux dev tools that implement "time travel" (arbitrary state history manipulation).

The progress one phones is more about advancements in power consumption than the actual upper limit on computing we've seen servers reach. There is never going to stop being a demand for faster programs. A large portion of advanced Machine Learning software is held back by a lack of computing power. The only way we're going to get more computing power at this point is to create more massively parallel and distributed systems. So in order to make this change economical it requires a change in programming paradigms. People may not care so much about performance on their phones, but I work around supercomputers. It's definitely a concern here and it's not going to go away.