I've finally come to the conclusion that C++ is a bad language

I've finally come to the conclusion that C++ is a bad language.

Am I right Sup Forums?
Is C++ a piece of shit and I should focus on better languages?

I spend more time googling the errors and seeking how to solve compiler errors than actually coding in C++, is just a very non pleasant experience.

Other urls found in this thread:

godbolt.org/g/RjqTMz
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

there are no bad languages. only ignorant programmers

Php

We'll welcome you to the comfy world of C# with open arms.

/thread

C. None of this foofy c# c++ c whatever crap. Straight C.

>Posting a physically fit, good looking, most likely successful man.
Huh, it's like the antithesis of Sup Forums

>I've finally come to the conclusion that C++ is a bad language. Am I right Sup Forums?
Yes. That's why Rust was created to replace it.
>Is C++ a piece of shit and I should focus on better languages?
Yes. Focus on Rust. C++ is obsolete and there's no point learning it now when you can already start on Rust.

Use what's best for the job. I personally like C++ because it was what I used for my pet projects but I've had to switch due to school, work, etc...

Then again, I've tutored kids that had tons of problems working with Java not because of the language itself but because they didn't know what they were doing. Same deal when I tutored a kid for Python. If you're new like they are then it might be less so the language and more so your expertise as a programmer in general. Ask yourself that question before investing a decent portion of time switching to a new language.

Is C++ itself bad? I can't really say. I don't think so but I'm sure someone out there has much better knowledge of its pros and cons than I do. I myself have had my fair share of odd compilation errors and whatnot but they were usually due to me.

C++ is everything. Bad and good. No more, no less.

>non pleasant

If you need to focus on the programming language you're using - you definitely need to switch.
If you need to focus on the task - then, as long as your stuff gets enought support (available libraries, active community, etc.) stay on that garbagelang, because switching might cost you more. Try to stay up to date with the latest best practices, though, and you'll be able to acquire enough domain knowledge about the warts you have to circumvent in order to make it kinda pleasant to work with.

>I have made errors
>Therefore, C++ is a bad language
GIGO, my friend.

Sup Forums is going to get fit this year.

>I've come to the conclusion
>but I really haven't
Nice

No fuck off pajeet.

>im too dumb to understand concepts higher level than goto.

im sorry for you dude,you will never get a job because you are a dumb faggot who keeps repeating whatever this cesspol of a smegma that Sup Forums is and because you are too uch of a lazy fuck to learn anything else other than c and call every other language "inferior" because of your laziness while c is the shittiest language out there for like 30 years

>rust
go buy a pink chastity cage while you are at it.

start with HTML then CSS

Some languages are more convenient for certain problems. Its that simple.

>Am I right Sup Forums?
No, you are just an idiot/newbie.

It's good if it's possible for you to only use small subset of the language. This is pretty rare though. Sooner or later some asshat introduces some boost as dependency or becomes needlessly clever with the language features.

>I spend more time googling the errors and seeking how to solve compiler errors than actually coding in C++, is just a very non pleasant experience.
that's not c++'s fault

Rust is a non-starter because of Mozilla.

Php just has more ignorant programmers than average.

Unironically the reason I decided against picking up Rust.

You're right, but if the problem you're having is
>too many compiler errors
Then you're disliking C++ for the wrong reasons.

Javascript is arguably worse than PHP. PHP does have a ton of shit programmers writing bad code, but it is undeniably possible to write great code in PHP. Javascript on the other hand, in its vanilla form, makes for some of the ugliest code ever. Hence the existence of so many transpiled languages likle TypeScript and Coffee.

Just use Rust.

This DESU. PHP is a great language to work in professionally because it is so easy to set yourself apart from the shit tier devs. You write well composed, testable, object oriented code in PHP, and you look like a god. You can be great at Java and most of your code looks exactly like some pajeet charging 3$ an hour.

My professor goes ape shit on me when I write him some c in his c++ assignement.
I'm pretty sure he doesn't even understand c

keep doing it

>submit python assignment in java
>wonder why prof hates me...must be cause he doesn't understand java

have fun failing, snowflake

C for low-level Perl for high-level.

>I've concluded [...]
>am I right?
No, you didn't conclude and even if your 'conclusion' is right you've clearly a fucking idiot who's opinion on this matter should be ignored.

>niggerposting

The joke here is that any application in C is possible in C++.

Any good C++ class will require using modern C++ idioms over C-style code.

C++ is a horrible language. It's made more horrible by the fact that a lot
of substandard programmers use it, to the point where it's much much
easier to generate total and utter crap with it. Quite frankly, even if
the choice of C were to do *nothing* but keep the C++ programmers out,
that in itself would be a huge reason to use C.

++ leads to really really bad design choices. You invariably start using
the "nice" library features of the language like STL and Boost and other
total and utter crap, that may "help" you program, but causes:

- infinite amounts of pain when they don't work (and anybody who tells me
that STL and especially Boost are stable and portable is just so full
of BS that it's not even funny)

- inefficient abstracted programming models where two years down the road
you notice that some abstraction wasn't very efficient, but now all
your code depends on all the nice object models around it, and you
cannot fix it without rewriting your app.

>submit python assignment in java
>wonder why prof hates me...must be cause he doesn't understand java

>python
>java
>c
>c++

The point is still retarded.

It's a flawed analogy, fine. But you know what I mean.

These modern idioms change every three years.

>male receives complaints directed towards him, immediately fired
>female receives complaints directed towards her, she is coddled, given a raise, and her own personal safe space

pedantically correct fuck yes dard

blessing upon you for indulging your autistic brothers

>the absolute state of nu-Sup Forums
you do realize how retarded you are

Correction: modern C++ is bad. Stick to C++ 11 and don't use weird features.

t.brainlet
C++ is incredibly optimized and it's lack of arguably unnecessary error checking allows you to take shortcuts most other languages won't allow you to do.
Not only that, it also exposes a bunch of low level shit for if you don't want the compiler to fuck with your shit

C++17 has some useful library stuff like std::variant. constexpr is also no longer useless.
C++14 and 17 are straight improvements on C++11 without really adding any complexity (like C++11 did to C++03) so I don't see why you would use C++11 but not C++14 or 17.

There is nothing wrong with writing like C with classes.

There is everything wrong with using classes.

C does not use GOTOs. C is just procedural. C++ et al are merely C + OO + furnishings. A convergence of opinion about OO being a mistake from the grungy, utopian naivete of the '90s makes it an ever-diminishing opportunity cost, but furnishings ARE very nice. Check out C++ smart pointers, sweetie! ^3^

Goto is used all the time in C. e.g. breaking out of a deeply nested loop or freeing resources from a function with multiple return paths.

>straight improvements
No.
And it's only to get worse.

Also reminder that Go MENTIONS MICROAGGRESSIONS EXPLICITLY IN THEIR COC, which not even Rust had the cajones to do.
Sticking to ideological palatability is difficult when all of tech is toxically politicized. Cutting the knot is ignoring it and focusing on merits. Rust is a meme lang for a very specific niche to which it caters in non-portable ways. If Rust dies, all you learned about it dies with it. Not so for C++.

Can you say what you don't like about C++14 or C++17?

If you want to get somewhere, goto is the best way to get there - ken

You're saying that uses of break or continue are tantamount to GOTOs?

No, I'm saying that nested loops need to use goto because break only breaks out of one layer of the loop. Switch statements use break for their own thing too.

You can write well-organized, object-oriented style Javascript without TS. Or use TS, just write some webpack boilerplate and it's super-easy. Or better yet, combine best practices of OOP and functional programming any way you like and feels most natural to you and do whatever you want because it's JS, the king of programming for web.

I was a fan of Laravel but really, Node.js gives you everything you need. The learning curve is higher, but hey, PHP is a language with no future. Any front-end framework that doesn't support easy virtual dom manipulation, have easy to use state management tools and lets you do server-side rendering without having to jump through 10000 hoops has no future.

I feel you don't even need Typescript inside of your average React app, for instance, it already has PropTypes that covers your ass in 90% of cases where you'd need type checks.

just use labeled breaks

>decltype(auto)
>generic lambdas
>heterogeneous lookup
>all C++ 17 bloat
Actually the dynamic cancer started in 11. auto and lambdas were a mistake. Trying to make the language pythonic was a mistake. But books have to be sold.

>he hates type inference
I too love typing using It = std::vector::iterator; fucking everywhere.

>implying an institution focused on learning should penalize you for solving issues in creative and efficient ways

look at your own pic and you will learn the truth about c++

C for low-level, Python for high-level

>Python

but it's not dynamically typed tho. The types are inferred by the compiler and like
said, you don't have to type out all that garbage
also lambdas are great, besides, there's no runtime overhead since they're all dealt with by the compiler

Rust for low-level Haskell for high level

>no future

This figure is virtually unchanged for the last several years.

>auto and lambdas were a mistake
But auto has no overhead?
godbolt.org/g/RjqTMz

Python is the brainlet's Perl