Intel and Microsoft created Meltdown/Spectre to force you to upgrade your CPU to Coffee Lake and your OS to Windows 10...

Intel and Microsoft created Meltdown/Spectre to force you to upgrade your CPU to Coffee Lake and your OS to Windows 10. Prove me wrong, you can't.

>truthey until proven falsey
no.

I just figured it was an FBI backdoor.

>I'm just gonna conveniently discover this vulnerability that forces rapid Windows 10 adoption and everyone to abandon all our old but still top tier CPU's
you'll believe anything

you seem to have forgotten that normies don't give a shit about security. Not even 1% of Intel's customers are going to buy brand new CPUs due to these exploits.

Those who buy k series CPU's aren't normies and there are many of them and word of mouth spreads quick and it's easy to upgrade to 10. This "vulnerability" was a calculated planned obsolescense patch nothing more.

The burden of proof lies upon you, not us.

Is upgrading the microcode a sort of modular thing, like it has to be loaded by the kernel every time you boot?
Or does it lead to permanent firmware changes to the CPU?

I am asking in case later down the road somebody discovers a way to "root" your CPU so that you get more control over it, and Intel already knows, and updating the microcode patches that down.

I had to put the path to the microcode in my kernel config, so I kind of suspect it is a modular and not "permanent" update when you update the microcode, but I might be wrong.

If it was invented by them, it wouldnt be a long con lasting 15 years (when Windows 10 wasn't even around).

It's much more believable that they fucked up in a major way.

Giant conspiracies are either short lived and found out quickly, or common knowledge where nobody cares enough to stop them.

It wasn't a long con they simply paid someone to find a vuln that would be mutually beneficial. These vulnerabilities always exist they're just not disclosed for financial reasons mainly. This time it was of benefit to disclose and fix it. They usually save these vulns for law enforcement or illicit gains.

Vulnerability found after free upgrade to Win10 is removed. N-Nice...

Nope, when Risc and POWER become available I'll buy one of those. I'm never buying anything from jewtel ever again.

nope it's still available. bing it.

>AMD not affected by most parts of the vuln
>the one part which does affected was patched with no performance cost
I mean I get what you're saying but I'm pretty sure most would rather upgrade to ryzen at this point. Then there's always the fanboys who will never buy AMD in their lives but I don't see why Intel would create such a massive PR nightmare to force those to upgrade - that's preaching to the choir, they'd have done it anyway.

Microsoft, maybe. But if that's the case, it's not a "mutually beneficial" deal with Intel, it's just Microsoft screwing over Intel.

>I'm pretty sure most would rather upgrade to ryzen at this point
at this very second not most but more than normal would but it's not about this instant. intel's tiny performance increases each generation weren't good enough. now they are.

Well I just upgraded to a ThinkPad A275 and installed Fedora on it. No wireless drivers so I'm using one of those really tiny USB dongles with it and it's otherwise great. Soon I'll be getting a Talos II workstation and virtualizing all of my other operating systems while using a compatible Linux distro. I guess their plans really went over well.

joke's on them
im switching to hackintosh and an AMD processor

Coffe Lake is affected though?

I'm switching to GNU/Linux on MIPS

>now they are.
No they're not. Intel will definitely try to spin it this way, but:
>it will only last for 1 generation
>it's still a massive PR nightmare (even The Register roasted Intel)
>it's not the first massive fuckup in recent times, only the biggest and most recent (so far)
Meanwhile AMD is promising much larger year-on-year performance gains than Intel has been achieving so far.

There will always be die-hard fanboys. But most people aren't THAT loyal. t. used to be a completely retarded intel+nvidia loyalist, now with all this recent stuff my next upgrade is absolutely definitely going to be AMD (with or without nvidia), unless they somehow manage to lose their entire advantage in the next 2-3 years.

Think also about all the computing clusters and data centers - they just got hit massively for no reason. They're going to incur huge costs. And they're corporations, so they have no "loyalty" to speak of. And AMD just recently became a viable choice again, and hasn't had any major fuckups in a very long while (and certainly never once anything this huge). Does any of this bode well for intel?

I believe you. I have Win10 due to brainlet

This. I have aleways bought Intel/Nvidia and never looked at AMD. Recently I sold my nvidia GPU because I do not play computer games or have any usage for a dedicated GPU.
I regret that I went with Intel but will upgrade to AMD next year to Ryzen as I have a Intel i7 6700K @ 4.9ghz which is a bit too new to replace. This will be my last Intel CPU.

good for you
what i chose should be good enough for my needs

tfw I got a Ryzen 1700 for $220 just before Meltdown

It is but less and future generations even less or not at all thus ensuring upgrade holdouts from the win7/2500k era that used to hold up and would still hold up today otherwise.

that's like saying retail invented winter to force you to buy their coats

Retail can't cause a rainstorm. The people who make your hardware and software most certainly can produce a vulnerability.

>GameSpy logo

Google knew about it before Microsoft, and Intel is likely to lose a lot of money from class action suits and bad PR as well as turning away business. It is infinitely more likely that this was introduced by Intel under obligation from intelligence agencies.

OP is a retard.

You guys are missing the point. The performance hits are mostly affecting servers, and now that Intel has been exposed as having huge potential security shortfalls and they will be spending more on power and getting less performance from their Intel processors, EPYC suddenly looks much more appealing.