Newfag here, just checking in to ask the programmers on this board whether or not to learn python...

Newfag here, just checking in to ask the programmers on this board whether or not to learn python? I understand basic variables and i start my computer science class next quarter and all i would love the ability to work on games and be able to make my computer run the way i want it to. Is python worth it? Any advice for a blossoming coder? Also how heavily does programming rely on memory?

> I wanna be a pilot, is it enough to understand how to push / pull a joystick?
If you're serious about programming understanding the syntax of python is only a week out of your 5-10+ year long learning (granted, it's lifelong, but you'll probably not really be "better" than regular experienced people for about that long).

Start with C to learn the basics

python is a 10 out of 10 programming language for non-programmers. I would heavily suggest learning it if you don't want to learn gritty low-level stuff.

Don't go with python. Go with something that doesn't treat you like a fucking baby. Go with visual basic or something. That way you can move on to something useful like c# and eventually c/c++.

>Also how heavily does programming rely on memory?
Depends on what the hell you mean by that. If it's what I think you mean, the answer is not at all but programming without committing memorizing anything is like speaking a foreign language by looking up every word from a dictionary separately, possible but slow. You'll have to learn the grammar though.

you shouldnt encourage people to take baby steps witch cuck languages.

first thing to learn is to ignore anything random retards on Sup Forums tells you
>hurr durr even this comment

For games you pretty much have to use C++ or C#

Appreviate all the people actually being helpful, i'll definitely look into c#. Any recommended sites/programs for learning syntax and basic language?

sololearn.com

All their courses are magnificent, carefully explains everything step by step and it's free too.

Thanks mate, ill check it out

Don't do C# unless you only ever want to develop for Microsoft platforms. In general, I would recommend starting with something more cross-platform, like C or C++.

You could easily accomplish some nice 2D games in Java or Python as well.

I've found Sup Forums to probably be one if the friendliest boards provided you aren't too retarded.

>Don't do C# unless you only ever want to develop for Microsoft platforms. In general, I would recommend starting with something more cross-platform, like C or C++.
People aren't somehow locked into forever developing with the first language they learn, what the hell are you talking about

I swear, programming is the only skill I know about where you get people suggesting starting learning it with something difficult rather than simple

The first language you learn should be something fairly universal, that covers the fundamentals of the field. Certainly not something as proprietary as C# or any other .net language.

"Difficult" languages like C (and to some extent C++) are a good place to start because they make you think about what the computer is actually doing, rather than providing lots of heavy, language-specific functionality that can create misunderstandings about the fundamentals of what is going on.

At the very least, don't do something proprietary AND highly abstract for the first language - so C# should be out.

>"Difficult" languages like C (and to some extent C++) are a good place to start because they make you think about what the computer is actually doing, rather than providing lots of heavy, language-specific functionality that can create misunderstandings about the fundamentals of what is going on.
That's a decent justification, but for a complete beginner I'd still say it's more important to focus on understanding the basic logic behind programming in general while having to care about boilerplate and possible grammar errors as little as possible, those distract from the actual necessary learning process. Understanding what the computer does should come afterwards.

I'm not advocating C# in particular. Python would be a better choice.

Start with Python or Ruby and you will have a solid base to fall back on while learning other languages for more specific purposes. Python is great and you won't regret it, and it is easy to learn, so if you ever need something done, you will always be able to rely on it.

So in general, go with it, and then move on, if you want, to other languages, and if you are stuck, well, you will have less of a problem. Also, best of luck with it.

C++ is a good choice because of the amount of good free libraries and integration with game engines. However keep in mind you want to learn the programming logic, not just the language itself. C and/or Phython are a good start.

Libraries are preexisting code to help you build things faster, specifically you want game libraries, they come with code for showing graphics, input, sound, network, etc.

This is a good way to understand how gamedev before diving into complex game engines.

>learn visual basic in 2018
this is horrible advice

bumpski for a good thread

>Go with something that doesn't treat you like a fucking baby.
>visual basic

>Newfag