Why isn't there a simple audio player like WinAMP was?

Why isn't there a simple audio player like WinAMP was?

I tried a bunch of different players, but they all try to be a whole audio ecosystem. WinAMP was simple and unobtrusive. Only half the size of a window bar, it sits always on top and thus gives me a fast way to pause/play and access my playlist. In the other players I tested I always need to bring their window from the back to the front.

I still have WinAMP running, but I'm in a pinch now because I cannot make it play Opus encoded audio in mka or ogg containers.

Is there really no good KISS alternative? I don't want a metric shitton of features; just start/stop/pause and a playlist.

Other urls found in this thread:

quiark.github.io/foo_title/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Foobar dumdum.

>cannot make it play Opus encoded audio in mka or ogg containers.
so you're saying it sucks technically

and since it's proprietary who knows what spaghetti code is lurking there

Winamp lover, turned MusicBee here.

Nothing will ever quite be the same, but after configuring musicbee and changing it's vast customization settings, I'm happy with it.

There is. It's called Audacious.

AIMP is pretty good.
Doesn't winamp still exist though? It shut down but then came back. It's changed ownership so it will probably turn into one of those 'old versions were better' programs...

P.S. check out GOM Audio that's sweet too

This. MusicBee is an amazing piece of software

Is there an option to have it sit always on top with play/pause buttons? Haven't found that

I'm sure you read every single line of the sourcecode before compiling and installing or updating the software on your box.

Looks great, thanks! Will sure test it

>I'm sure you read every single line of the sourcecode before compiling and installing or updating the software on your box.
you missed the point with your knee jerk reaction

Was Winamp ever really that simple, though? Even the 2.x versions tried to install extra stuff, and I had to make a rule in my firewall to keep it from connecting to the internet every time it opened just to play a song.

AIMP with the ZiX skin is the closest i've come to classic Winamp

forgot pic

Qmmp

just use foobar bruh, you can configure it however you want and remove the shit you don't need

>Is there an option to have it sit always on top with play/pause buttons? Haven't found that
View -> always on top
View -> layout -> enable layout editing mode

Tested this one in Windows 7 with the classic WinAMP skin and I am very pleased. It plays opus in mka/ogg/opus containers without any issues.

The only bug I ran into is that positioning it minimized in the upper left corner will cause it to open about 3mm from the left and 10mm from the top after launching it again. A few mm from the left, but at the top gets remembered.

Not tested yet, but I just assume it handles replay_gain tags, as well as APEv2. Big bonus if chapters in mka are working too.
I also love that it's not overloaded with options.

That or quiark.github.io/foo_title/

ncmpcccpccccccp

AIMP is the winamp of this generation

This, I remember it tried to be a video player as well.

XMPlay is the best.

Didn't even know it ran on Windows to be honest. It works fine for me on Linux. I usually keep it in the top-right corner though.

Winamp still works, dipshit

>what is foobar2000

AMIP is pretty nice but I recommend MusicBee.