You HAVE manually fixed Meltdown and Spectre, right Sup Forums?

You HAVE manually fixed Meltdown and Spectre, right Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/4073119/protect-against-speculative-execution-side-channel-vulnerabilities-in
bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667654/latest-ubuntu-meltdownspectre-updates-break-my-pc
cyberciti.biz/faq/check-linux-server-for-spectre-meltdown-vulnerability/
twitter.com/Snowden/status/949047283357806593
github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker/blob/master/spectre-meltdown-checker.sh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No.

Never seen spectre, is it bond kino?

I think it's a comedy of some sort. And meltdown is horror movie

windows users can fix it here i think
support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/4073119/protect-against-speculative-execution-side-channel-vulnerabilities-in

no because i have nothing to hide

>go to learntohack.com
>JS runs on your web browser
>bricks your motherboard because it deleted BIOS
I add you to my list of anons I hate on Sup Forums

need bios update.

You're aware meltdown and spectre can only READ stuff, right?

no because windows CLI tools are worthless

is that nothing to you?

huh, I was unaware that it can only read. Some faggot memed me into thinking it can also write.
Thanks for correcting me.

>how to fix and check them on Linux OSes

bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667654/latest-ubuntu-meltdownspectre-updates-break-my-pc

They work because CPUs prefetch memory that might be needed in advance, and in some circumstances you can read that cached data. Even if you rewrote it it would simply get invalidated. And it only affects the data in RAM.

On the contrary, I have recently been using powershell more and more on windows machines, so much so dare I say it rivals my bash usage on linux. It is extremely powerful and surprisingly fast.

also this:
cyberciti.biz/faq/check-linux-server-for-spectre-meltdown-vulnerability/

I will as soon as someone here can tell me, in plain English, why I should care.

I managed to fix the CPU microcode. How do I fix the other ones?
Someone help me, please!

>Read memory
>Get passwords and everything else
>Use those to gain full access
>Write memory

That still requires you to have an open and forwarded SSH port or something.

im not going to make my computers slow. i have avoided those updates manually.

Updated my server to see how bad of a hit I'd take and then reverted to an older kernel. I'm not a retarded brainlet so no one can get into my shit, not taking a 22% performance hit for nothing.

>JS uses Meltdown to pick up root/admin password
>drop some exe that allows remote access in %APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>next time they log in you have admin access

But Meltdown is patched via the basic updates.

No because I'm still waiting on bios.
Going to update my old phone and mum's to Lineage OS, probably next week because I'm a lazy shit and the very idea of taking notes of what non app store apps I have, backing up settings and then reformatting is something I can't be assed with right now.

No idea what to do about the laptop and PC that has old motherboards my folks use beyond telling them to not use those devices to log into anything to do with money.

I won't update either despite the risk and rather hope I'm lucky until proper hardware can be aquired to replace this faulty one. I didn't buy a new CPU just for having to slow it down to something I've used years ago.

I'm still baffled how every-single-one of the CPU manufacturers managed to be affected at least once. Did they all just copy another and otherwise just take their profit share ?
I always assumed competition plus patented stuff equals somewhat different products designs.

Now it's just about playing the waiting game.
Waiting for news regarding new CPUs being announced.
Waiting for new CPUs that aren't affected and neither throttled to become available.
Waiting for verification of that.
Waiting for flaws / issues reports regarding those.
Then either buy one or wait for something better.
I hate the waiting game.

We're talking about someone who hasn't patched meltdown

but you can't just drop some exe with JS

I'm still on Sandy Bridge on an end-of-life motherboard, but according to the motherboard manufacturer they will provide a BIOS update soon.

you don't need a bios update to update cpu microcode

it can be loaded with OS boot
microsoft ships them through windows update
alternatively you can manually update it using a simple tool - there was one on notebookreview forums

>I managed to fix the CPU microcode.
you mean you managed to sudo apt update && sudo apt dist upgrade, well done.
patches for spectre 1 and 2 are pending for ubuntu. In other words ubuntu is by definiton always behind debian. you have to wait™.

I am still surprised people think it is worse then it really is.. It's like no one actually read what was released.

FFS it didn't even get rated a 6 CVSS and if it could have only read user pages it wouldn't even be rated a 3..

Questions, so many questions.

I dont give a fuck, i updated 8.1 and i cant even run their powershell tool because of how fucked my install is.

Where can I get this test?

still extremely bad for people who type out passwords

hackers can read your password on every device from after 1995
twitter.com/Snowden/status/949047283357806593

The 8th Jan Microcode Tarball only supports back to Haswell and Ivy Bridge-E/EP/EX. I used VMWare CPU microcode updater to update the microcode, but Windows detects the functionality before the new microcode is loaded, and hence OS support for Spectre is not available. Can only wait for Windows Update Microcode patch or switch to Linux. For Meltdown it is fixed though.
>tfw my Ivy Bridge-E i7 is THE earliest platform they will support

The microcode Intel provided only support back to Ivy Bridge-E/EP/EX and Haswell, your processor is unlikely to be updated. If Intel does not update the microcode, your motherboard vendor cannot do anything about it.
You /have/ to wait for the microsoft update because the simple tool you mentioned will load the microcode only after Windows detects for BTI hardware support. On a supported platform(e.g. Haswell) without a BIOS update but with the tool ran, you will see BTIHardwareSupport is True, BTIWindowsSupportPresent is True, but BTIWindowsSupportEnabled will be False. Both BTIDisabled would flag up as False as well. Without a BIOS update nor microcode update straight from microsoft, you are only protected from spectre V2 on Linux which actually scan for software microcodes.

>Microsoft
>Secure

>No BIOS update for MSI mobo
>No BIOS update for Acer laptop
By the time they fix it many will have been hacked and many people don't even update their shit.

time to buy the 2018 macbook user

well installing gentoo is always an option

canonical deploys the kernel next week.

Can I opt out of the fixes?
I don't give a shit about this and don't want to lose performance like some and poor

>I don't know anything beyond clickbait hackerman stories on mainstream news websites: the post

>I'm still baffled how every-single-one of the CPU manufacturers managed to be affected at least once. Did they all just copy another and otherwise just take their profit share ?
Most microprocessor architectures worth a damn gained speculative execution when the internet was a giant pile of static vomit interlaced with spinning GIFs and the occasional JavaScript-driven animated news ticker running on operating systems like Windows 3.x and 95 that implemented no memory protection whatsoever and let you read and write to whatever part of memory you wanted. It's not likely that the engineers working on the Pentium Pro, R10000, PA-8000, et al. were anticipating that some autistic graduate student was going to figure out how to use their implementations to compromise technologies and services that didn't even exist yet, or were barely in their infancy.

I don't blame them for this shit at all, neither am I surprised it happened. What surprises me is how long it took someone to weaponize it, it seems kind of trivial when you think about it.

He still fixed it, quit hating

Yes. Manually fixed it by switching to ryzen.

Found it : github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker/blob/master/spectre-meltdown-checker.sh

Meltdown is not optional unless you are on 7/8 or choose to forgo future updates.
Spectre is optional and some people might even never get any.

Quick rundown on how to get the latest Microcode on Windows for old CPUs:
Microsoft is unlikely going to release a OS-based firmware, and the VMWare tool loads the firmware too late.
This guide is largely applicable to Desktops.
Modding laptops is not recommended, but techniques are similar.

1) Ensure your CPU is at least Ivy Bridge-E/EP, Ivy Bridge-EX(IvyTown) or Haswell. Older CPUs does not receive the new microcode (yet or never).

2) Think twice before modding your BIOS if you are running Haswell/Broadwell due to the reboot problem.

3) Proceed to win-raid forums to download UBU, and MMTool 5.0.0.7 (regardless of whether your Aptio is V4 or V5).
MMTool have to be downloaded from external sources. The CRC32 hash of the program is 614319D4.

4) Move the MMTool application into the UBU folder.

5) Proceed to read warning/additional steps if you are on the X99 platform. Anyway, refer to Step 2.

6) Proceed to download the UEFI file and extract it. Place the firmware into the directory of the UBU.
For .CAP files, you need to use the corresponding DOS flash program or Asus USB Flashback to flash because they are protected unlike .ROM files.

7) Run the UBU and select 7. Afterwards, select 1 twice. The tool automatically updates the firmware and rename it appropriately for you; there is no need to download anything from Intel.

8) Proceed to read "[Guide] How to flash a modded ASUS-ASRock-Gigabyte AMI UEFI BIOS" in the win-raid forums to load the modded BIOS into the motherboard.
For Asus Flashback button, there is an error if the button only flash for ~5 seconds.

9) Start(Asus Flashback Button)/Restart the computer(DOS flash). The computer will now either fail to POST or boot up with the new Microcode. If you have a SPI flasher or Asus Flashback button, you can retry.

10) Run get-speculationcontrolsettings and you should see all greens.

I recommend you download your firmware twice, and run both on the tool. Afterwards compare the hashes to check for corruption.

And I don't give a fuck about free speech.
Democracy was a mistake.
Fuck you Snowden.

Enjoy your BSODs and random restarts update-cucks. I'm willingly not updating to patch either spectre or meltdown for at least one year. And then I'm buying a zen2 probably.

I still need that BIOS/Microcode Update from MSI. Fucking lazy fucks over there

>Check the MSI forums to see if anything has been said
>Mods keep trying to say it's not up to MSI for those updates
>People keep pointing out every source and Microsoft has said to get updated bios from whoever makes your motherboard
>They still try to deny it an say you don't need updates for bios or something stupid

What the fuck is wrong with these retards?

For real?
Yesterday I read an article about how MSI is one of the first to provide BIOS updates.....

FUCK MSI

Yes, read your passwords.
Now hacking your shit went from kinda difficult too "Oh look, keys".

Am I fucked?
All I did was install the updates and run some of the commands to 'enable' the mitigations. I'm pretty sure this slab of plastic won't get a BIOS update anymore, at all.

no

HD 6670

yeah, you're fucked

That's irrelevant.

You cannot even mod your BIOS because Intel's Microcode update only supported back to Haswell and Ivy Bridge-E. Unfortunately for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge(Mainstream) users you can only pray for Intel to release a microcode update in order to MMTool it in.

Can only read encryption keys stored on virtualized environments, like pretty much every online store/shopping site, major banks, email servers, trading accounts, etc.

>implying i don't manufacture my own hardware and develop my own software

>meltdown and spectre?
Yes I flashed a new bios for my i7 6700k
and got all the updates, i'm cool.

can't do it on my old thinkpad x201i though but i did get all the patches

why would i manually fix meltdown and spectre when i have the fix already?
?

>t. Sup Forums

>win 7
>1st gen ASUS haswell mobo
>no windows update
>no BIOS update
I wouldn’t know where to begin. All I know is this whole thing looks like a kike planned obsolescence scheme from my future proof rig standpoint and I don’t feel like losing that just because of the RUS hacker boogiemen.

Most retards on Sup Forums want their freedom and shit since they're mostly libertarian burgers.

Nope don't give a shit
not schizophrenic enough

Quick rundown on how to get the latest Microcode on Windows for old CPUs:

1) Ensure your CPU is at least Ivy Bridge-E/EP, Ivy Bridge-EX(IvyTown) or Haswell. Older CPUs does not receive the new microcode (yet or never).

2) Think twice before modding your BIOS if you are running Haswell/Broadwell due to the reboot problem.

3) Proceed to win-raid forums to download UBU, and MMTool 5.0.0.7 (regardless of whether your Aptio is V4 or V5).
MMTool have to be downloaded from external sources. The CRC32 hash of the program is 614319D4.

4) Move the MMTool application into the UBU folder.

5) Proceed to read warning/additional steps if you are on the X99 platform. Anyway, refer to Step 2.

6) Proceed to download the UEFI file and extract it. Place the firmware into the directory of the UBU.
For .CAP files, you need to use the corresponding DOS flash program or Asus USB Flashback to flash because they are protected unlike .ROM files.

7) Run the UBU and select 7. Afterwards, select 1 twice. The tool automatically updates the firmware and rename it appropriately for you; there is no need to download anything from Intel.

8) Proceed to read "[Guide] How to flash a modded ASUS-ASRock-Gigabyte AMI UEFI BIOS" in the win-raid forums to load the modded BIOS into the motherboard.
For Asus Flashback button, there is an error if the button only flash for ~5 seconds.

9) Start(Asus Flashback Button)/Restart the computer(DOS flash). The computer will now either fail to POST or boot up with the new Microcode. If you have a SPI flasher or Asus Flashback button, you can retry.

10) Run get-speculationcontrolsettings and you should see all greens.

I recommend you download your firmware twice, and run both on the tool. Afterwards compare the hashes to check for corruption.

Read to fix the Spectre v2 bug
You need to update Windows 7 too
PS Yes I know I double posted by accident, too lazy to delete one

How do I know this is not the botnet?

MMTool is the official tool by American Megatrends to modify firmware. It is not a free tool though, so you need to get it off somewhere. The correct CRC32 is 614319D4. There is no licensing checks whatsoever in the tool.

As for UBU, you can run it on a Virtual Machine/Old Desktop, since all it needs is your BIOS firmware in the .BIN or .CAP format.

If you suspect UBU injects a rootkit into your firmware, then there's nothing I can do about that.

I have done the steps on my Ivy Bridge-E CPU successfully, as seen in . The performance drop is ~20%.

>powershills will defend this

Yeah, days ago

I have a Ryzen chip, so no ;)

What does that even mean

Yeah, time to buy a different flavor of the same turd.

>Crapple, not even once.

Welp, it's AMD for me from here on out.

>t. owner of 7 different intel machines. fml

So about Windows 10, is 1703 still good or should I be using anything else? 1709 has been giving me a good number of fucking problems, from max CPU usage by opening a fucking app for no reason to random fucking slowdowns in applications that just run fine everywhere else.

I installed 8.1 but I keep having issues installing runtimes no matter what I try.

Powershell 6.0 has less commands available than version 5.1

It is Powershell 6 core. It's for cross platforms. Windows will get Powershell 6 Desktop when it's ready which will have all the commands as 5.1 had + more

>support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/4073119/protect-against-speculative-execution-side-channel-vulnerabilities-in
yea they have nothing to say, so fuck them

>Think twice before modding your BIOS if you are running Haswell/Broadwell due to the reboot problem.

T-thanks intel.

>hackers can read your password on every device from after 1995
Common Sense 2017™fags btfo?

I want to know, in a what way I could be affected by these vulnerabilities? By launching some fishy programs or just visiting a website with malicious javascript code on it?

this.

also anyone has any idea when we will get WMF updated on LSBT?

im about to Seppuku here. i shilled LSBT to my Department for 300+ terminals and now im freaking out. Higer ups are a bunch of morons, but still someone will eventually ask...

higest i can get it is 5.0.10240.17709.

So whats this the latest Microshit ploy to get everyone to install telemetry on win7/8? get fucked.

you can verify it yourself

windows media file?