Is there any reason to use office over this? Once you pass the learning curve it's pretty comfy to use...

Is there any reason to use office over this? Once you pass the learning curve it's pretty comfy to use. The only thing it isn't good at are spreadsheets.

Other urls found in this thread:

latex-project.org/help/books/
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>any reason

Yeah, when retards want .docx's, instead of PDFs

>Once you pass the learning curve
if there is any learning curve at all then 99% of people will not care to use it

If I don't care what the document looks like, and I need some basic text styling like bold/changing size. It's just simpler than having to make the tex file, then compiling and all that crap.

Is it of any use for notetaking ?

Nah too much work. It's more useful for "official" documents.

For documents without too much custom styling, pandoc -f latex -t docx (and then, you should be able to duplicate extra styling by feeding pandoc a Word template if you have a little more time)

Frankly beamer is way too much effort for spreadsheets, I'd rather use powerpoint any day.

you might think that, but once you have to go back and mess with anything after writing it, latex shows all its glory as a program that just sources a text file
weird spacing or kerning issues are 100% a non-issue with latex

I won't use it for anything I'll have to edit frequently. Just quick write-once documents that I'll throw away within a few days.

No reason at all for what I do, but I don't really use LaTeX either anymore. I fell for the structured document/separation of content and presentation meme where XML seems to be most popular. One day I might want to try and use TeX in place of Apache FOP though, just to see how it works, but I don't care enough about the finer details of typography to be really motivated.

>Is there any reason to use office over this?
having a job

Interaction with non-technical people. Your average manager will be happier for word document they can edit on his own, without having to learn anything new than precise pdf they can't touch.

While I think it makes more sense than office, I frankly really don't like the ancient syntax of this shitty macro language.

And LuaTeX isn't quite it, either. Honestly, a subset+library for HTML+JS or whatever would be a better option by far.

Can I use it to make epubs?

Yes, in multiple ways.

I remembered tex4ebook & pandoc, but there will be more options.

LyX is the easy LaTeX editor, so easy even brainlets dig.
TeXmacs is the patrician choice, imagine you can autotype many mathematical formulas with emacs-like shortcuts.

They both can insert LaTeX code inline. Ditch MS Word niggers.

basic TEX or full TEX?

Asciidoc or groff with mom macros.
I remember printing off that fucking tiger in 1999 trying to get a canon bubblejet color printer to work with Linux using ghostscript.

I want to get into LaTeX.

Does anyone have any experience with building LaTeX templates for markdown/pandoc? It seems that there is very little documentation on how to do this properly.

Latex is shit. Only spergs use it.

Latex is deadly easy once you learn the common stuff.

Would you recommend LaTex for a teacher who basically needs to create docs featuring just texts, tables and pictures?
What's the best guide to LaTex according to you?

No, not when there's libreoffice writer. I usually do things that have to be kind of firmatted but are 2-3 pages long in libreoffice, because fuck it. Note taking is done with asciidoc because it's simple and fast and I can use my editor for it while looking damn good when compiled. I use latex when I'm doing documents that are 4+ pages long with my own templates and setting. This setup works very well for me

>be sysadmin for medium sized office
>in a meeting a colleague tells boss it would be a great idea if all employees use latex
>for a brief moment I can hear my phone ringing as if it was called by a hundred people at the same time
>I can see the confused face of Kate from accounting who took 10 years to learn how to use MS word (barely)
>explain to boss that you can teach sign language to gorillas but not latex to the retards in this company
>he agrees and tells latex dude to fuck off
dodged a fucking bullet.

Any good intro to LaTeX, I've only learned it using sharelatex but I want to free myself from using those meme cloud services

Look at org-mode for note taking (you can also insert LaTeX code inside)

This. groff (+mom) is at least 10x better than latex (I refuse to write it in faggy upper-lower way).
The beauty of groff is you can literally just run groff against a plain text file and it will produce decent results. Plus its macros are 10x less verbose and faggy than knuths meme language.

No.

kek

your job sucks dick if you need to use office on your personal computer

You could have employed a guy who's make templates for everything you do though, that would've been cheaper than all those licenses. Anyway, why would he suggest latex and not libreoffice writer? That seems dumb to me
Pick up a book, they're like 10$ at max and not too long, too. After writing 2-3 documents you'll have stuff figured out I'd say

>English speaker
>medium sized office

Yeah, the way those places work is
"We keep good employees, they have families, dreams, etc"
Not
"Our bottom line is being affected by keeping these goyim on the payroll. We're automating next quarter and replacing 6 stacies with 1 chad."
Those would be big companies.

>Pick up a book, they're like 10$ at max and not too long, too. After writing 2-3 documents you'll have stuff figured out I'd say
?????

>medium companies become big companies if they downsize to one sixth their size

>read part of book
>try stuff out
>repeat 5 times
????

How can I recreate the book in LaTeX when I don't even know how to create a LaTeX document from scratch without using any templates or whatnot?

What is Office?

>get a book about latex
>read it
>write test documents about the stuff you read
>combine formatting etc
Where did I ever tell you to write a book, tard?

Which LaTeX book would you recommend for learning it, genius?

I have pic related, don't know about English books though

latex-project.org/help/books/
Just pick one of them, you you don't want to buy a book go here: en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX

Forgot to attach picture

Literally just read the documentation whenever you want to do something and learn as you go. No need to read a book about it.

Thank you

I tried learning LaTeX from wikibooks but I couldn't make any sense of it

Only people who don't have to be productive use latex, i.e. people in academia. Even if you're dumb enough to fuck up your business by switching to this garbage, you'll end up having to use doc for outside communication.

> (OP)

>spreadsheets
>powerpoint

????

by going one step at a time

Use SC-IM for spreadsheets

That's probably just because you're a bit stupid.

What exactly is the advantage of using this?

I used it for about 3 years and then my autism diminished and I'm back on Word for two years now

whats the spreadsheet program?

MARKUP
A
R
K
U
P

MS Office has a full-blown IDE behind it.
You can literally write macros in Excel, to connect to a database in Access, get a bunch of data via SQL and send a bunch of mail in Outlook - all in one program.
You have furthermore access to the win DLLs, people have even build games in Excel.

And let's not get started about the possibilities of Pivot, let alone PowerPivot. Have you successfully created live dashboards in Latex? Can you do multidimensional data mining by live importing from csv files?

Don't compare apples and oranges.

>want to write my thesis in LaTeX
>supervisors all exclusively work in Word and want everything as docx.
Is there a way to easily convert LaTeX files into docx or am I trapped working in Word?

They can't force you

Tell them to fuck off, especially if you're writing your thesis for a CS or anything technology releated, LaTeX is the standard.

It's SC-IM.

Tell them to fuck off, especially if you're writing a thesis for CS or anything technology related. LaTeX is the standard.

Chemistry not CS. Just fucking sick of dealing with figures and tables in Word. Also referencing with endnote is cancer.

Can you add Lewis structure with Word? Sounds like hell.

Unless it's already in a figure no.
Nothing will beat Word restarting my bibliography halfway in so it doubled up on every reference up to 50 something.

That layout looks archaic, no thanks.

What do you think of Texmaker? That's what our uni is making us use.

I used it for a while. It's good. Use the macro feature to insert command pairs (like \begin{} ... \end{}). I eventually switched over to vimtex, a plugin for vim.

It's kinda retarded to use a bloated UI to edit a file text but at least it's open source.

No, unless you get absolutely cucked into .docx, maybe pandoc can help there.

LaTeX is generally too slow for most note taking.

Have a look at markdown, it is pretty good if you use little math and mostly need text, and lists.

>Would you recommend LaTex for a teacher who basically needs to create docs featuring just texts, tables and pictures?
If you want to make it look really good, then yes.
But quality comes at the cost of time.

>What's the best guide to LaTex according to you?
I don't really know, Sharelatex has some decent beginner guides and explanations.
It is probably a good Idea to start with an online editor.

Latex is not worth it. I had a few lectures on it, like one week and a half. Even a professor who writes academic papers for a living had to look up on google how to use it every two minutes.

>Even a professor who writes academic papers for a living had to look up on google how to use it every two minutes.
Everyone has too.
The tikz environment tool has over 300 pages of documentation.
Most of the stuff you need is easy to remember and quite intuitive though and for the complicated things you have macros anyway.

For any given use case, there is a better option than latex

Wrong.

Or government apparently, the one I work for doesn't use LaTeX but does use an XML-based format called S1000D for technical documentation, and makes it mandatory for data exchange (Microsoft Word is still used for general inter-office things, of course)., They have Office-like tools for WYSIWYG editing, e.g. Adobe FrameMaker, Arbortext, etc., but it's similar to how LaTeX has things like LyX.

The collaborative markup tools in office for people that can't use latex.

It's the Dark Souls of Office.

It's very useful when you have to write a project or a report with some graphics and images because if you edit them you just have to recompile the document. I use LaTeX for every document i need to write for university. If you use something like TexMaker you will lean tex in a small amount of time. The difficult part is to find your "style" and packages. I prefer using tabu for tables and fancyvrb for code listings. Always remember to put [h] near \begin{figure}.

For quick and easy document editing Office shines, but for anything else latex is just better for making a document look and flow better. It only takes like 15 minutes to learn for the most part as well.

set up macros and custom commands and you are fine that´s what I do