Genuine Upgrades

So if you're not living in a shithole you've probably noticed that your streetlamps have been switched to LEDs. Seems like most people are replacing their headlight bulbs with LEDs as well.

Are there any other techs being adopted as fast as LEDs?

Other urls found in this thread:

ama-assn.org/ama-adopts-guidance-reduce-harm-high-intensity-street-lights
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306452216305243
spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/conservation/led-streetlights-are-giving-neighborhoods-the-blues
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>upgrades
>LED street lights
that's not how this works
sodium lamps are far better at reducing eye strain and preserving night vision. LED lights fuck with your eyes

[citation needed]

here's the american medical association
ama-assn.org/ama-adopts-guidance-reduce-harm-high-intensity-street-lights
>High-intensity LED lighting designs emit a large amount of blue light that appears white to the naked eye and create worse nighttime glare than conventional lighting. Discomfort and disability from intense, blue-rich LED lighting can decrease visual acuity and safety, resulting in concerns and creating a road hazard.

I fucking hate LED street lights. I want that lovely soft orange glow back. So much more comfy when out at night and way better coverage, the LEDs barely light up anything. Annoying when driving too, can't tell if there's a car around a corner or another shitty street light.

how about they go after the fucking headlights of cars burning out my fucking retinas with their shit blue xenon garbage.

yeah that shit bothers me too
do states that mandate vehicle inspections typically look for headlight angle?

If we want to preserve night vision then we should switch to entirely red lighting

maybe not red exclusively, but at least yellow/orange

RGB is the cancer of the computer world, and LED's are to blame. Having any LED in your home is literally fucking up your eyes!

>sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306452216305243
>White LEDs induce stronger retinal degeneration than fluorocompact lamps.
>Exposure to LED induces breakdown of the external blood-retinal barrier.

You really should check out MSI's RGB desktop. Honestly, manufacturers just slap on some LEDs for a few cheap bucks and then add a 50-60 dollar extra price tag on them. I fucking hate it. And most good workstation motherboards have to come with it. And now MSI puts RGB on a gaming desktop. Like what the fuck? Isn't that distracting?

LEDlets BTFO

>Here, blue LEDs at 500-lux 483 illuminance were toxic after 24 h of continuous exposure
We're exposed to this everyday for months/years.

>replacing HID namely High-pressure sodium with LEDs
Cities that do this got fucking scammed hard, LED Isn't that much more efficient than HPS and might even be less efficient depending.
The only way LEDs can measurably consume less power than an HPS is to not be nearly as bright.
The only thing LEDs have got going for them is that they might be more reliable

>stating up at streetlights instead of the road

>t. people living in shitholes

I like the way they look, honestly I'm sure those studies have the animals staring at a particularly awful LED light 24/7.

These things are not a meme, everyone is switching, why are you guys being such fags about it?

>continuous exposure is the same as additive exposure
Epic

>implying the new bulbs are not networked
>implying they can't selectively overdrive the lamps in areas where someone calls in 911
>implying this isn't a benefit to society

>The only thing LEDs have got going for them is that they might be more reliable
As an electrician who has installed, maintained, and later sold them while working for a wholesaler, I can professionally say that they are not more reliable. When LED's start to deteriorate and eventually stop working, you have to replace the whole fitting which costs anywhere from 4-20 times higher than the cost of a new bulb depending on the fitting type. Then on top of that, it takes longer to perform circuit isolation, remove old fitting, install new fitting, earth test, energize circuit, and then fault find if something goes wrong. Whereas HPS just requires a bulb change, which is quick, easy, and doesn't require you to do a fuckload of work.

I hate LEDs for streetlights because most people are fucking retarded.
White/Blue light pollution fucking everywhere.
They're fine if the people working the project aren't clueless and get warm hued LEDs, but most aren't.

reliable != easy to replace

spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/conservation/led-streetlights-are-giving-neighborhoods-the-blues

It's not hatred of LEDs, but of idiot project managers who choose the wrong hues for public lighting.
LEDs are fine, but 90% of outdoor LED lighting is terrible.

>spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/conservation/led-streetlights-are-giving-neighborhoods-the-blues

Thought so, they're great in my city. I work at night so I see them the most and they are easily better. They don't hurt my eyes and the color just feels clean, like crystal water. Whenever I run into the old yellow shit it just feels oppressive.

Even then, it's still only twice the life, providing it doesn't suffer from an early life failure...

>just feels clean, like crystal water. Whenever I run into the old yellow shit it just feels oppressive.
I think you should see a therapist.

I just mean it feels annoying, like walking into the back of a Spencer's store with all that shitty blacklight.

>>hue im an electrician and i know things
>quick and easy HPS
>cant be dimmed like LED or overdriven
>need 4 mins+ to warm up
>2+mins to restart once warm
>24,000 hours lifespan

vs
>being able to be dimmed or overdriven
>lenses reduce glare
>can be highly directional
>85% energy savings over HPS
>100,000 hours expected lifespan

>muh expensive.
100k vs 24k and you are trying to use 'cost and efficiency' in labor as an argument, goddamn fucking brainlet.
a 30W LED lamp approximates the light output of a 80W HPS

You have never worked in the industry, and if you did you clearly sucked someones dick to ever get out of that bucket truck where you belong.
Aesthetics are a completely different opinion and I still like the yellow glow, however.

In the northern U.S. and Canada, LED street lights and intersection lights are really hard to see after snowfall, because the low heat output doesn't displace the snow like traditional lights.

Waiting quantum dot diode

>not having peripheral vision
>his surroundings literally absorb all light
back to your own dimension

intersection yes with the current designs that block to much wind, but streetlights don't accumulate snow on the bottom.

yellow light is comfy light

Yellow is much comfier desu.

I live in LA, and it seems like streetlights on the 5 and 605 interstates have gotten way dimmer in the last year or so.
Is it because of LED lamps?
I end up using my hi-beams every time I go night driving.