Why aren't you supporting the open sourced thinkpads in 2k18?

Why aren't you supporting the open sourced thinkpads in 2k18?

Because they are shit quality.

Because I only support things that are both free as in freedom and free as in beer.

Weird meme linux distro, Intel chips. Build quality doesn't look that different from a dell or anything.

>doesn't owe one

Definitely worth supporting. This is what GNU/Linux needs. I've always felt that one of the biggest issues preventing Linux from getting more popular was that there weren't normie-friendly companies shipping their devices with it preinstalled. Granted, it's not a huge step due to the fact that nobody knows who system76 is, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. Hopefully we see more stuff like what Dell's doing as well. Selling laptops and other stuff with the OS preinstalled.

Because I can just buy a barebones Clevo and install my distro of choice for much less $$

Sup Forums's new flavor of the fucking month

heard about this company 10 times today already

Or you could buy system76 and support GNU/Linux preinstalled on the desktop with your dollars.
Capitalism motherfucker

Costs just as much as better machines despite them having outdated designs/features like proprietary charging ports and 2.5" drives. There's no reason to buy one over an XPS13DE.

Compare the specs of a xps13 to one of these.

Try adding 32 gigs of ram on a XPS laptop and it not costing 3k while 32 gigs of ram on one of these will cost you less than 1.5k with two good hard drives and a CPU.

XPS are the equivalent of every macfag you ever talked down too.

>outdated designs/features
hmm ok let's see...
>proprietary charging ports
fair enough. not a dealbreaker, but a bit of a disappointment.
>and 2.5" drives
Why in the holy mother of fuck is this a bad thing?
>XPS13DE.
that said, it's good that Dell has this. A good choice for anyone looking for a laptop. Hopefully companies like HP or Lenovo follow.

Remember: if you want GNU/Linux on the desktop, you're gonna have to buy GNU/Linux on the desktop.

>open source
No.

Because you shouldn't be using a HDDin a laptop in 2018 and 2.5" SSDs offer nothing over M.2.

>closed hardware
>open source
Besides, I'm not a freetard.

>you shouldn't be using a HDDin a laptop in 2018
Good point
>2.5" SSDs offer nothing over M.2.
What's the difference? Honestly with how normie System76's aesthetic is, I'm just glad it's not soldered to the mobo

There is literally nothing wrong with wanting high density storage in a mobile device

iirc they're rebranded Clevos

2.5" SSDs can only be SATA (technically blah blah, whatever) while M.2 can be SATA or PCIe. M.2 is also significantly smaller and more importantly thinner, so it can be put over the PCB that's used for other things. This frees up a large amount of room for battery. eg: compare the XPS13's 60Wh battery to the galago's 34Wh.

Apparently they actually do development though and contribute back to the kernel. I think it may be for drivers and whatnot

1. They change the hardware
2.they will soon start cutting their own metal

They change some hardware

Bro you are a fucking dipshit, I had a samsung 4tb pm863 in my X230, find me a single 4tb m.2 drive on the market. There is a niche, really high capacity hdds and ssd. If you are daddy warbucks, you can even buy an 8tb ssd from Micron. Thinfags are fucking cancer, the reason we have these laptops losing features and storage options year-on-year is them chasing fashion.

Because they're fucking rebranded clevos with Linux on them.

>the faggot who data hoards on a fucking laptop is whining about other people sacrificing "features" to "chase fashion"
Yeah, you probably run Windows on it, too.

>9Lwatzhz
what kind of name is that?

Have they got a TrackPoint?

>Only my use case is valid
Some folks do need large storage and robust cooling solutions. Not all jobs have the luxury of letting you cart along your NAS or workstation, or in the nicest environments on the planet. In circumstances like that, you just might want more than a piece of copper foil and hopes keeping your cpu cool, and more than a tb or so of storage.

>"robust cooling solutions" and hostile environments
Nigger, stop pretending you're doing anything other than watching shitty anime/TV series in bed. Get a file server and stop paying out the ass trying to make a toy do a real computer's job while trying to look above the less deluded.

System 76 is botnet.

not available in my 3rd world country, otherwise i'd probably buy one as i'm in the market for a laptop now