How come allowing spaces in usernames are such a relatively recent innovation...

How come allowing spaces in usernames are such a relatively recent innovation? It doesn't seem hard to implement and the demand was always the same, I think.

(I know some websites used to allow them long ago. but why not universally?)

>a thread died for this
Fuck off.

All threads die eventually.

bump this is gr8 thread

There is at least one OS that recognizes login options by adding them after your username separated by a space.

Always wondered myself.

>save a file with underscores
>normies roll their eyes

why

What happened to that OS?

Is this bait? Those usernames don't even contain spaces, they are just firstname + lastname combinations.

I've seen a lot that are just, like, long full sentences.

idk but there are still sites that have a limit on what symbols you can have in your password and how long it can be.

That's true, but that screenshot is still a bad example.

Because it was easier to just take a text input and dump it to a database.

With spaces, they get encoded to different characters depending on the encoding type. So a website allowing spaces would encode to send to server, decode and re-encode for database.

This was 'unnecessary' or wasted CPU cycles back when CPUs were less powerful, web services and browsers less optimized.

those aren't usernames

you have confused your mouth with your anus?

>With spaces, they get encoded to different characters depending on the encoding type

Why is that? Isn't the space the most universal symbol out there?

what dumb database manager does not use utf8 for everything

>not using pure single-byte ascii
discusting

I think it's because people would come up with usernames like

a f a g

Was this username supposed to have a lot of spaces? Because that's what it showed me on the pop-up notification, but here I see just one between each letter

Unless you intend to access those files from the command line, there’s no reason to use underscores in filenames.

yep, it was, I guess they filter all spaces that go together