/ag/ - audio general

Try not to go nuts over your amplifer.

If you're going to post absurd remarks like "all amplifiers sound the same" make sure you post your audio set-up, and make sure it's not headphones and a shitty DAC.

Headphones welcome, but if you're gonna post "hurr, these Senns brake lyk pottery", post timestamp of ur Senns.

And if you post "JBL LSR 305 are the best possible speakers", post your room so we can see that it's larger than 6x6 foot and you have a real house. Cells interlinked.

Meanwhile, I will post cheapfag audio that is of good quality.

Pic not related.

Other urls found in this thread:

sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/d/wharfedale-diamond-101/6450469649.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/d/rotel-rsxsurround-sound/6454263291.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/d/jbl-lsr305-5pair-of-powered/6448512939.html
eugene.craigslist.org/ele/d/magnepan-magneplaner-smgb/6443701348.html
eugene.craigslist.org/ele/d/adcom-multi-channel-amplifier/6456224116.html
portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/d/mission-floorstanding-tower/6457708023.html
portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ele/d/adcom-gfa-545ii-power/6440404091.html
seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ele/d/bowers-and-wilkens-cm4/6449555669.html
youtu.be/J_LzV45Ha30
toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/ele/d/turntable-stanton-str8-30/6444646559.html
toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/ele/d/pioneer-3-way-speakers/6369954642.html
toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/ele/d/mordaunt-short-ms-10-speakers/6414712153.html
carvinaudio.com/collections/ls-series-active-passive-monitors-mains-and-subwoofers/products/ls112-600w-12-inch-main-monitor
bellingham.craigslist.org/ele/d/audiophile-vintage-ohm/6399046076.html
vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ele/d/kef-c30-speakers/6448713817.html
seattle.craigslist.org/skc/ele/d/cambridge-audio-azur-540a/6453734752.html
reno.craigslist.org/ele/d/polk-audio-15-speakers/6398925658.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/d/nad-c340-stereo-integrated/6430809305.html
ventura.craigslist.org/ele/d/bw-speaker-set/6419896377.html
ventura.craigslist.org/ele/d/denon-home-theater-amp/6432963479.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/d/wharfedale-diamond-101/6450469649.html
$150

sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/d/rotel-rsxsurround-sound/6454263291.html
$175

I'd like a vinyl player but am a /poorfag/.
Got any solutions?

sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/d/jbl-lsr305-5pair-of-powered/6448512939.html
$200

lel

get money

define poor
giv state or US region

eugene.craigslist.org/ele/d/magnepan-magneplaner-smgb/6443701348.html
$195

eugene.craigslist.org/ele/d/adcom-multi-channel-amplifier/6456224116.html
$200

KEF LS50
Parasound 2250+Questyle CMA600i
and
Emotiva PT100 + EMOTIVA A-300
I'm the cunt who created the other thread. There was no difference when swapping to this cheaper more humble setup.

portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/d/mission-floorstanding-tower/6457708023.html
$175

portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ele/d/adcom-gfa-545ii-power/6440404091.html
$200

Canadian, budget is $100 - $150.
Lower preferably, but I'm not poverty-tier.

where's the thread?
>no difference when swapping to this cheaper more humble setup
try them with Dynaudio Contours or better (first order crossover speakers at 4ohms)

any major cities in the area? (hopefully university towns)

also, pro-tip: portland area has TONS of high quality gear at 1/2 to 1/3 msrp

>Record player for 150 dollars
Only the worst, unfortunately.

I'm right near Toronto, basically anywhere in the GTA is within my range.
That's a shame. What kind of price tag should I expect?

so, this is what you have to watch out for when buying used speakers

seller wants to sell these for $240, but the cost of repair would well exceed the value of finding these speakers in good condition at $500 elsewhere, unless you run a refoaming service and have a few B&W tweeters just laying around

you could always part these out for the surviving drivers and crossovers, etc, but why bother

seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ele/d/bowers-and-wilkens-cm4/6449555669.html

The Emotiva is rated at 1% THD at 300w rms into a 4ohm load. Lets be real here when will you be pushing 300watts rms into a 4 ohm load at actual listening volumes. The distortion level would be and is much much less when pushed at realistic listening levels.

Significantly higher. Perhaps you can find something used that someone kept in nice condition. Most of the new cheap shit has issues with speed, with awful needles, with balance. Here's a video of someone giving detailed explanation and review of 300 dollar range ones and their flaws.
youtu.be/J_LzV45Ha30

Are these PreSonus Eris 3.5 that came out recently any good? Can't find any sound tests to get a basic idea about them.

I would need a pair of active speakers for my PC/desktop setup. Budget is about 100 bucks/euros. I just want something that sounds decent and does not have exaggerated bass or treble or mids. And I'm not planning on using them on high volume, so I'm interested in active speakers which sound great on low volume and have next to zero hiss.

Preferably they shouldn't be big, because I don't have a lot of space. So, that's why I'm not so interested in the LR305s (besides them costing 100+ bucks each).

So, I've been checking out a couple of options. At this super-low budget, it's basically impossible to find something decent, yeah, I'm aware of that. But since my current speakers are the worst possible, anything would be an improvement.

M-Audio Studiophile AV 32
Marantz Pro Studio Scope 3
Alesis Elevate 3 MKII
Alesis Elevate 4

Hoping that the Presonus will be decent and not more than 150. I could push the budget to 150, but that's it.

I'd rather not buy used, though.

So, if you have any ideas, opinions.. shoot.

PS. Is pic related actually good for podcasting, voice-overs and stuff?

So I got this adcom GFA 535 II amplifier for free, what would be a decent pair of speakers for it in the $150-200 USD range

if you frequent the thrift stores around university/college towns, you can come across some $10 deals for turntables (speaking from personal experience)

toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/ele/d/turntable-stanton-str8-30/6444646559.html $70

toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/ele/d/pioneer-3-way-speakers/6369954642.html $70
or
toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/ele/d/mordaunt-short-ms-10-speakers/6414712153.html $95

and any cheapo receiver for $15 or less at a thrift store
you can probably talk the craigslist sellers down by up to 30%

Gonna get a Schiit Vidar and Sys. What would go well with that setup? I hear Kef LS50 go well with that amp.

I might go something else If I can find an amp thats just as good or better for $699 but from everything I've seen the Vidar is intriguing me the most. It's made in the USA and I like Schiit.

new/used?
type of music?
size of room?
neighbors downstairs?

Thanks user, I appreciate the advice.
Do places like Value Village have electronics? I heard they're for clothing mostly.
Thanks as well.

New
I listen to all different types of shit but don't want nothing that sounds too overly bright
10x12ft room
live in house so no downstairs neighbors

>Try not to go nuts over your amplifer.
Or when someone uses the word cheap and it isnt sub 200 dollars because everyone should anticipate extreme poverty here...

if Value Village is like Goodwill, and gets donations, you may come across higher quality stuff; e.g., i've found ~$200 msrp audio technica and jvc turntables at goodwill for $8 to $15 in very good condition with working cartridges; bbl gonna watch football

wharfdale, mordaunt-short, qacoustics, and competitors

anons that can't afford 200-300 dollars US would be better off with headphones

if you glue sniffers are going to try and spend money on studio monitors for some reason when you're not monitoring things in a studio, consider just getting some fucking PA speakers.

these 12 inch woofer + horn active pa speakers from carvin cost 300 a piece, basically what you should expect to pay for a pair of workhorse low end studio monitors, and they're actually designed for program reproduction rather than retarded levels of accuracy and sensitivity, which isn't what you're looking for in the enjoyment, rather than the creation, of media.

and there's lots more options just like these from peavey, samson, yamaha, etc.

carvinaudio.com/collections/ls-series-active-passive-monitors-mains-and-subwoofers/products/ls112-600w-12-inch-main-monitor

$400 for Adcom GFA 555 MKII Power Amp.

Good deal?

>when
Dynaudio, Quad

This is poor advice. PA speakers sound shite in close quarters applications like desktops

t. AV technician

you can't put PA speakers on a desk anyways, and yeah, they sound fine at 6 feet at regular listening volume.

t. experience not theory

>he sits 6 feet away from his desk

dis speaker good?

>he puts PA speakers on his computer desk

>At work for Christmas Party
>Shitty pop dance music
>Speakers clipping the entire time

Surprised it didn't fry the whole system. Sounded like shit.

>he recommends PA speakers to a bunch of vir/g/in codemonkeys who sit at their desks all day

a bit bright and boomy otherwise good

$3K a pair good?

>if you own something it must go on your desk

the technology in pic related will BLOW YOUR MIND

any reason to get open headphones when u could just get speakers? they serve no purpose right?

not based on an fr chart

>not playing anime soundtracks at full volume from your 1000w pa speakers

please explain why these speakers require so much power?

>Plebspotters

>so, this is what you have to watch out for when buying used speakers
This is exactly why I don't buy used speakers (not including PA speakers).
It's self-built or monitor for me.

One has really demanding drivers, the other has electrostats.

>electrostats

Explain electrostats to me.

Okey gramps.

Looks like a butthole. Good thing I love butthole.

Why do you keep bragging about these trash speakers?

They beautiful.

Why are they trash?

Edifier r1600 tiii. I don't know anything about Eris 3.5, their powered monitors are decent.

>79Hz - 28kHz (±3dB)
>85dB (2.83V/1m)

Small speakers so I'm not expecting bottom end at all, but that sensitivity is embarassing

Goodmorning /ag/

Friendly reminder: Unless you have measurement mics and room EQ and digital crossovers and sub that pull 115db you are doing it wrong.

But it sounds good bruh. Tis only numbers.

Why gramps? I don't see how any of that is something old people would do..

>Edifier r1600 tiii
Yep, those were some of the speakers I was considering.

refoaming is like a $20 job user

Diamond 10.1 and 3010s look nice for my needs, thx for suggestions
Diamond 10.1s seems to have more low end which is better since I won't be using a sub

>Pedophile-grade setup.
My dad has one of those. At least, he did. iono what he uses now

by demanding drivers you mean low sensitivity. If so what is the sensitivity of those speakers. I would like to know given that you'd think that 300w rms won't suffice

Are you a serial killer?

You clearly have never heard them if you take that FR for gospel.
That is a very conservative rating by KEF. I own them and they go FAR FAR below the claimed 78hz. They hit under 50 quite confidently.

kef q100 any good for desktop in small room?

Yeah would suit nearfield fine due to it being a coax and front ported. Will be fine in a small room, just don't expect too much bass extension.

>>Pedophile-grade setup.

I DONT GET IT.

Nope. I just like holograph projectors.

cosy as fuck where is that?

do people on /g, a TECH board, ever use internet search

no you should provide evidence to support your claims about it being a 'demanding'

smsl sa50 amp + fiio d3 dac enough for them?

You have high expectations for this Presbyterian comic website senpai.

if you are using them on a desk and are only plan on driving them to moderate to low listening levels it should suffice. The kefs arent efficient speakers so don't expect to crank them loud, the amp will begin to distort and clip as it doesn't have enough power for higher listening levels. You'd get by for now though.

Brisbane. Even with that setup its still hard to get females around to "listen to music"

Pfft. Women.

why is that whore monkey in that dark room

she is breaking the meme audiophiles cant get laid

bellingham.craigslist.org/ele/d/audiophile-vintage-ohm/6399046076.html
$175 lol

vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ele/d/kef-c30-speakers/6448713817.html
$110

seattle.craigslist.org/skc/ele/d/cambridge-audio-azur-540a/6453734752.html
$125

Looking at the purple line (other colors are different speakers), the receiver should be able to tune that treble down a bit right? FR looks pretty good for tower speakers at least.

Is bi-amping snake oil?

those things are expensive so someone with ŕeal audiophile stuff is probably rich and you can get those too with money

for the most part yes

Damn, wish I could buy those Ohms.

Wow golly gee two shitty amps both sound the same

reno.craigslist.org/ele/d/polk-audio-15-speakers/6398925658.html
$50

sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/d/nad-c340-stereo-integrated/6430809305.html
$80

what form of amplification do you own

except in the pic he has entry level bookshelf speakers

ROAD TRIP

oh its you the pass labs shill, replaced your shitty 16guage wire yet?

>road trip
Would have to fly across the country for those. I need to start looking my local craigslist for some potential treasures.

I will when I get around to it. I haven't gotten my preamp yet.

get the cheapest 12 guage you can find

Why tho

ventura.craigslist.org/ele/d/bw-speaker-set/6419896377.html
$180

ventura.craigslist.org/ele/d/denon-home-theater-amp/6432963479.html
$100

You have a $5000 power amplifier you might aswell spend the extra few bucks and get 12 gauge speaker wire. It won't make a difference unless you are doing a long run or 4 ohm loads. I'm not sure what power that passlabs amp is capable of doing but if its capable off pushing more than 200 rms there is no way i'd trust 16 gauge wire when pushing it.

Yeah but I'm saving for a pass labs xp10 preamp. Cables should be the last thing you purchase. Getting new speakers tomorrow tho

mate 2 metres of 12 guage speaker wire is only a few dollars, you clearly arent strapped for cash just get some

JBL305 have a hissing issue, how do I fix this >:(