Noobuntu faggot here. Gonna install arch on my thinkpad t450 tomorrow and start using i3

Noobuntu faggot here. Gonna install arch on my thinkpad t450 tomorrow and start using i3.
How badly will I get rekt?

badly, you're chasing too many memes at once
slow down

try installing arch and a normal DE at first
then install a WM and get used to using it in free time
finally uninstall all bloat that came with the original DE

>inb4 i don't want to spend time removing dependencies
this will give you practice with package management using pacman

If you can read a manual and have the patience to actually learn how this shit works, you'll be fine. If not, don't bother.

Stay on ubuntu, don't waste your time.

>uninstall all bloat that came with the original DE
You can't do this with gnome, you at least need gnome shell and nautilus, both of which are bloated.

Nautilius is very nice feature-wise, but it's fucking inefficient.

If you have any tips on making gnome lean and mean, I'm all ears.

This^

>arch
literally why?
why make shit harder for yourself ? if you want a meme minimalist distro just get alpine, install xorg, then xfeces, then openbox then LXDE/Slim then whatever icon theme you want and you're set

Dont use a wm. I used to use a riced awesomewm config then a custom dwm setup and also i3. Its a huge timesink (all the nice things de's do for you i.e. mounting, configurations, power managment etc.) for no perceived benefits. The only think it taught me is that shortcuts are good which is why I use kde. You dont need that tiling garbage when you habe virtual desktops + super left + super right. And also wm setups always look ugly with gui apps / have terrible non native feeling. Tldr: use ubuntu with its de and start slowly diving into the terminal.

I did the same configuration, T450 + arch + i3, it took me 2 weeks to get everything in fucntional order. You're getting rekt

>be me
>install arch
>wtf where's the GUI
>figure it out
>wtf where's wifi
>wtf where's all the software
>wtf does this shit have any software
>finally sort it all out
>get i3
>wtf I'm back at zero again
>why can't I volume up/down
>why doesn't my toolbar work
>wtf, my terminal is transparent
>wtf, i just accidentally deleted root
>get arch again
>do everythinng again
>reevaluate my life a few times
>consider sucking Windows dick again
>YA KAN DO ITTTTT
>actually do it

Pro tip : Try just i3 since it's not an operating system but a tiling manager, you can install it on any linux distro I think

>wtf where's the GUI
Seriously though, don't breed.

Install CloverOS.
Arch is for babies.

I did this too in a short amount of time, but try to slow down and start with arch and install xfce to get your stuff set up, after that you can look into i3.

You can install i3 on ubuntu you know? It really doesn't matter what distro you use.

this. unless you live in a shit african country with computers from the 90s just use ubuntu. Not really any point in using Arch unless your a necky or don't have a job and want something to keep you busy all day

who is?

White women really are beautiful.

We all have been there. I managed to make my HDD unrecognizable for the BIOS the first time I tried to install Arch.

meme overload

No reason for any of that crap. Just stick with ubuntu.

arch is for fags that want to think they are professional, when in reality they're usually just following guides someone else wrote

It's like the people that climb everest with the help of sherpas. They think they've achieved something fantastic, and sure it's an achievement, but they had their stuff dragged up for them and that really made it a lot easier

If you want to install arch you should do it without consulting guides, man pages are fine but otherwise I just don't see the point. If you're looking at guides (or using sherpas) you're missing the point.

u know u can i3 in obunto right

NIXOS AND XMOND ITS NOT 2013 ANYMORE

I use arch because I want to make sure my machine is 100% free as in freedom.

Also, I use arch because I want to make sure there are absolutely no binary blobs on my system.

just install debian bro its like ubuntu and arch had a baby but more like it was the parent or grandparent or some shit idk wat im saying anymore but you can make debian rolling release so fuck arch

Just install Ubuntu, when you get used to Loonix install Arch and + i3.

>average archnigger argument

Why not Gentoo then?

or you wanna learn more in-depth how the system works. People here all fall for the meme forgetting how much installing, understanding and maintaning Arch/Gentoo/Slack can teach you about Gnu/Linux.

If you need your computer for professional purposes, don't wipe it and install Arch on it assuming it will work.

Why use arch for that, when it has no mechanism to ensure that you aren't pulling nonfree software from repos? Don't you mean parabola?

Or is it possible you are shit posting and have no idea about the topics to which you are referring.

Arch is easy to install, just use cgdisk instead of fdisk.

You wont get wrecked, it just takes time, but it is all pretty easy.

Installing and maintaining Arch isn't just about ricing and configuring a comfy system, to really get to know Arch, you need to work on the kernel and you need to understand the filesystem and all of that jazz. If you just want to meme, install arch, be an idiot, have it crash on you, then complain, but trust me, autists on this site that just use arch for MUH RICE probably haven't even touched upon the real configuration of it, and that is why it keeps breaking on them.

If you are a brainlet and just care about ricing your desktop, go with anything else, like debian or stick to ubuntu and spare us all of future complaints on this board.

Ah, another brainlet who connects Arch with I3, like you can't just install i3 anywhere or use any DE/WM with arch. Fell for the meme

yeah who?

Or you can just use Xfce4 as DE because it comes with a built in WM.

Debian net iso

Remove the DE after you after comfortable enough with the WM to switch over full time.
I worded that weird originally my bad

I installed arch to learn about my system.
Maybe it makes me a beta faggot but my hobby is fucking around with computers so and I enjoy fixing my system.
It's not wasted time if you enjoy doing it desu

Kiira Korpi, a Finnish figure skater

kiira korpi

Not bad. You're already a pretentious douche. It fits you.

awesome