Why is English so unrelated to other Germanic languages. Yet Portuguese speaker can understand Spanish

Why is English so unrelated to other Germanic languages. Yet Portuguese speaker can understand Spanish.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Ecker
duden.de/suchen/dudenonline/Mundgeschlecht
de.pons.com/
cnnespanol.cnn.com/2016/09/01/por-que-los-jovenes-ya-no-compran-ropa-en-abercrombie-fitch/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germanic_languages.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>implying english is germanic and not just honorary romance

you can't understand dutch? it's the closest to english after frisian, i thought

it is related, but you are too stupid to see it

>froga

wud

>Yet Portuguese speaker can understand Spanish.
Euro Portuguese is the Romance master key.

Romanian sort of changed the lock but kept the brand.

To be fair, English has the word "hound" as a cognate.

but you are autistic if you call a dog a hound

(also how does it feel living on rightious dutch clay? kankerfries)

we can't understand Portuguese we can decode it because it has similar structure.
So you can decode German, which syntax is basically autistic English (words must have a fixed order, verbs must be conjugated). I dunno if every German follow all the syntax rules, we definitely don't do it in Spanish and almost never in English.

>rightious dutch clay
The last time I looked I was living on righteous Danish clay, mate.
Also, we are now part of Germany because Slesvig and Holsten shall be UP EWIG UNGEDEELT, motherfucker.

yesterday i saw some hostal who has printed in the outside
>bienvenidos
>welcome
>welkom

also, when watching some german movies i can actually understand sometimes some words.

then, how it is not very related op?

>words must have a fixed order
No, mate, English is the one with a fixed word order.
German is more flexible because of cases.
Also, both English and Spanish conjugate verbs. You mean declension of nouns, stupid.

oops.. confused you guys with ostfriesland kankerfries

>Kankerfries
Ik bün keen Fries, ik bün een Holstener Jung.

>Why is English so unrelated to other Germanic languages

English has transcended all other European languages and is a beautiful mixture of Germanic and Latin, with so many words to choose from you'd be here forever picking them. It's one main reason it's the most relevant language n the world.

The Dutch girl gave oral sex to a Moroccan man for 45 euros.

Das niederländische Mädchen gab Mundgeschlecht zu einem marokkanischen Mann für 45 Euros.

Den hollandske pige gav oralsex til en marokkansk mand for 45 euro.

Het Nederlandse meisje gaf mondeling geslacht aan een Marokkaanse man voor 45 euros.

Den holländska flickan gav orala könet till en marockansk man för 45 euro.

Den nederlandske jenta ga muntlig kjonn til en marokkansk mann for 45 euro.

Yeah, you're right.

>but you are autistic if you call a dog a hound
not really, just that most people would call it a dog

I went to Uruguay and they understood me with no problems 2bh

post meer platt, ik vind het leuk hoe autistisch het klinkt. het is letterlijk Nederlands met wat klinkers verwisseld

people say this about spanish though

So Arnold Schwarzenegger would be Arnaldo Negronegro?

I noticed that for whatever reason, "girl" is the one word that seems to be completely different in every language.

Spaniards can't understand Portuguese

>letterlijk
Is dat "bokstavelig" op nederlands?
Un ik kann keen plattdüütsch snacken ;_;
Min Öllern hebbt mi dat nich bibröcht.
Egger means something like "oak"; it's a tree.

>not really, just that most people would call it a dog

name one (1) person who would call a dog a hound in real life

>I noticed that for whatever reason, "girl" is the one word that seems to be completely different in every language.

meisje - Mädchen

next question

>implying any of the hookers in amsterdam are dutch

mostly slav whores

Spanish is easier to learn, but it's an entry level romance language. The western Romance languages in oral understandability go:

Spanish > BR Portuguese > Italian > French >= Euro Portuguese

We almost sound slavic, and most of the others are similar to ours except they have less vowels and simpler pronunciation.

To be honest it's probably because they're arrogant or lazy and don't even try. The portuguese i've met are more humble.

I got my friend to make an effort and understand (some) catalan and in theory according to linguists it's supposed to be more different from spanish than portuguese.

That aside, why are Danish girls pigs? That says something. :^)

I thought an egg was a mountain ridge

>Mundgeschlecht
What in the name of fuck is this supposed to be?
>zu einem
Oh come on.
Das niederländische Mädchen hatte mit dem marokkanischen Mann für 45 Euro Oralsex.

>bokstavelig
it literally means literally kek

>Min Öllern hebbt mi dat nich bibröcht.

Zo jammer. Ik had ook gewild dat mijn (groot)ouders mij wat platt bijgebracht zouden hebben. Mijn opa & oma konden heel mooi ijsselmuidens platt spreken

I don't think it's just that. I'm just talking about spoken word, since on paper they are very similar.

We have a lot of nuances in vowels, and Spanish is spoken as Portuguese with accents on every vowel.

It's basically a 2d projection (Spanish) of a 3d object (Portuguese), in a way. I'm not saying Spanish is inherently worse because of it or anything, it just is.

Our consonants are also a bit more varied, I think.

I think "Egger" is another form of "Ecker".
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Ecker
Which would make it a tree.
In fact, a few neighbours have "Egger" in their name which means exactly this. But then again, I'm from the north of Germany, not from Austria.
Din grootöllern sün düütsch?
Watt hebbt se in de krieg maaken?

Cripes, don't you know your own language?

duden.de/suchen/dudenonline/Mundgeschlecht
It's not in the Duden, it isn't a German word.
And a lot of shit is in the Duden nowadays.

It is obviously related to other Germanic languages. The reason it's as different as it is is basically because of lots of French influence. After the Normans conquered England, Norman French basically cornered English in a back alley and did unforgivable things to it.

True, I hate it when Portuguese people ask me to speak in Spansih and they reply in Portuguese instead of speaking English

we get like 10%
the problem is that even though our pronunciation and grammar are thoroughly germanic, our vocabulary is romantic
tl;dr we don't understand french or dutch

That must be some old fashioned term or archaism.

Because English is kind of a mutt language, with a lot of influence from several language groups, among which Germanic is the most prevalent, but not by a huge margin.

Portuguese and Spanish are both, in a most simplified way, a corruption of Classical Latin
with minor Arabic (and very minor Germanic) influences. The main difference between them is the divergent evolution in lexicon and phonetics, plus an indeterminate amount of Basque influence on Spanish.

If it weren't for the complexity of Portuguese lexicon, I'd say this about Catalan/Occitan.

If it weren't for lexicollogical divergence, both us and Portugal would probably use 'menina'.

Depends on many, many things. It's mostly a matter of amount of cognates VS the more obtuse, exclusive sounds.

Mundgeschlecht literally means "mouth sex". I could believe that the English term is more common nowadays.

The g is silent.

Its pronounced sort of like "Pee-eh"

Sex/Intercourse means Geschlechtsverkehr.
If anything it had to be Mundverkehr. (oral/mouth intercourse)

"Mundgeschlecht" makes no sense.
Google probably took the first meaning of "sex" and made up its own term.
There has never been "Mundgeschlecht" in the German language.
Mundgeschlecht means "mouth gender". Makes no sense.

Yes, I was simplifying a fair bit, for explanation's sake. It's just the common trope.

We've had the fortune of being one homogeneous country this whole time, and not a union of many.

hahahahaha Ich will ficken mit Deutsche Mädchen

I dunno. You tell me.

google translate

>Google translate
Faggot.
Get a proper dictionariy.

Because of the Norman Invasion we have an absolute shitload of French cognates, probably more than German and Dutch.

So really you have a language that has miscegenated a ton of French vocabulary with Germanic language rules and already baffling grammar. English is a nonsense language that really has no business being the lingua franca because of how backwards and incompatible it is with other European languages. The only worse choice I could think of is Hungarian.

Too bad the USA didn't adopt French after independence as a way to really stick it to the UK.

>Geschlechtsverkehr
Sounds like a literal translation of "reproduction" as you are making something.

Der Türke imprägnierte 25 deutschen Frauen in einem Monat.

empfehlen mir ein Wörterbuch

It means sexual intercourse though.
Geschlecht - gender/sex
Verkehr - traffic
Reproduction would be "Fortpflanzung".
de.pons.com/

a map I saved from similar thread

The Norman Conquest was a marvellous happening.

>Din grootöllern sün düütsch?
nee. Ze komen hiervandaan. (beeld). Het dialect in de groene gebieden is ook saksisch en heet ook platt.

>Watt hebbt se in de krieg maaken?
Uh bij opa hadden de duitsers de polder onder water gezet.

Ik weet niet wat er bij oma gebeurd is (betekent misschien dat haar ouders nazi waren)

>Google probably took the first meaning of "sex" and made up its own term.

Wow, Google is redefining the world's languages now? Damn, we have to stop them before it's too late.

>Welsh is closer to Albanian than English
lol fuck off

And in Icelandic, it's "stelpa".

>no Turkish
Guess they arent European after all :^)

that is not implied in the pic. English isn't closer to german than dutch either. The way the branches go do not mean anything. Otherwise Urdu would be closer to spanish than limburgs is to dutch (limburgs is a dutch dialect)

>punjabi nowhere near urdu and hindi

>64303692
Disregard that lmao

Also notice in that English is also more compact than the other Germanic languages and it takes fewer words to say something.

You can always use a less pretty pic.

that is because most of the translations are wrong

A better translation would be

De Nederlandse pijpte de Marokkaan voor 45 euro

(5 words shorter)

once again the places in the tree mean nothing here, well done.

Well, if he used GT then it does make everything sound very proper and more formal than you'd be in casual speech where there would often be missing words and lots of slang.

>google translate
go away black man

I knew a French dude who said over there, they keep using steadily more and more English terminology because it's shorter and easier to pronounce than the equivalent French term for something.

The ironing.

>make everything sound very proper and more formal

No it doesn't?

My sentence is just as formal (no slang, no dialect) as the GT version.

If anything, google translate makes it sound like shit.

Gee, funny because a Russian user the other day was complaining that English is way too irregular and has no consistent grammar/pronunciation compared against his language.

Google and the rest of online translators are shit.

F.i I'm yet to see one translation to Spanish from English that isn't full of shit and butchering of the language.

cnnespanol.cnn.com/2016/09/01/por-que-los-jovenes-ya-no-compran-ropa-en-abercrombie-fitch/

This text f.i is filled with retardations. And it's a CNN article, but it could pass as a 5 year old kevin from alabama trying to write in spanish.

Russian probably has less outside influence and foreign loanwords. You note even here that all of the Germanic languages other than English sound quite similar.

>English is way too irregular and has no consistent grammar/pronunciation compared against his language.

Compared to any other language

GT actually does French and Spanish pretty decently. Languages like Japanese are impossible; you'll never get an accurate translation from English.

I've tried using GT on Japanese web pages and it just makes unintelligible gibberish. German or French sound a little fucked up when you translate them, but you can otherwise pretty easily understand what's been said.

Because it's a Latin nigger language. English is pretty much salvageable, but I try to avoid using Latin loan words when speaking Swedish, it's luckily doable for the most part.

>but I try to avoid using Latin loan words when speaking Swedish, it's luckily doable for the most part.

i do this too. Am i autistic yet?

Explain?

death to germanics desu

I manually translated your sentence to German and let GT translate it back to English. Enjoy:
>Well, if he has Google Translator used, can all very much real and sound formal, as can be observed in everyday language, in which words often are left out and much slang is introduced

Is this easy to do with Dutch? It works pretty well in Swedish, most Latin loan words have Germanic equivalents that mean the same thing, I have issues with some words like "exempel", which obviously means example. Förslag works, but it just doesn't have the same meaning.

>Why is English so unrelated to other Germanic languages
Because the English like the taste of French cock

We also call birds fowl, we also call dogs hounds

We are speaking a Western German language and Frisian is the only other one that still exists. If you look at it you can see the similarities.

The Dutch girl blew a Moroccan for 45 euros.

>Western German language and Frisian is the only other one that still exists
No.
Western Germanic includes Standard German, Dutch and others.
You mean North Sea Germanic.

>Is this easy to do with Dutch?
very easy. You can usually see which words are romance by their spelling alone ( I expect it to be the same for swedish?). There are just some very nuanced words that are a bit difficult since a large part of the dutch aristocracy were major frenchboos.

>exempel
we say voorbeeld

When learning danish, I found out their word for "student" is ellevet which is taken directly from french. Is there a swedish equivalent?

The most difficult word for me is "kleur" (color)

We could say something like "varuw" or "vaarf" but those words are very artificial, no one uses them anymore

Hound of the Baskervilles, Ain't nothing but a hound-dog, the Fox and the Hound, etc. Its not as common but everyone understands it.

still 1 word too long

i cant even understand frisian

French is just as absurd and complex to be fair, if not worse.

I'm pretty sure Ancient Greek wasn't an easy language to learn and yet it was the lingua franca back in the Roman days. Being simple and making sense has little to do with anything.

WE DO NOT UNDERTAD SHITTY EBONIC PORTUGUESE INFERIOR DIALECT

Thank god finnish had almost 0 latin influence. Dont even have to think about shit like that.

let's got super autistic and count the syllables

(I tried but I didn't know the dutch for 45)

Nope we're both wrong.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germanic_languages. Also, it's Anglo Frisian not North Sea.