/ebook-readers/

How's your experience with ebook readers, and what is a Sup Forums approved ebook reader? Is kindle worth it? Can I put pdf-s and epub I downloaded elsewhere on kindle, or is it just an amazon botnet locked down only to books they approve?

you can only buy books from amazon sage

why do you sage when I asked a legitimate tech question
>what is a Sup Forums approved ebook reader?

Just a basic kindle that never goes online and has everything ran through Calibre. Works well enough. Kinda want the paperwhite for the back lighting

>not just getting the free trial rentals if available and stripping the drm
>not just using pdfs anyway
>buying books
>ever

PDFs are horrible since they don't paginate/reflow properly. The true patrician just reformats the ebooks into EPUB.

They're too small. I don't like having super small text or 5 lines on a page. Until they get bigger they're worthless trash.

You can transfer pdf's natively or convert them. epub and djvu both get converted to mobi if using calibre. You don't have to go through amazon at all

>you can only buy books from amazon
you can plug it into your pc and literally drag and drop your pirated books onto it, dummy.

Tablets for versatility. Paper otherwise.

I use pdfs because all my pdfs with code blocks and math equations get fucked in the ass when reformatted in epub. Otherwise, you're right.

I enjoy reading on eink screens. Most of time I use the eink screen of my yotaphone 2, which doubles as phone. For manga I use a reMarkable eink tablet, which doubles as notepad.

PDFs are just worse versions of postscript anyway.

I like my kindle paperwhite.

I don't think it has some of the extra features that kobo has like installing custom fonts, but who gives a shit about that. It displays books just fine and is small enough to fit snugly in most of my pockets.

how's kobo for pirated books? asking for a friend

I bought a Kobo Aura H2O v2 this Christmas
>6.8 inch display
>Water resistance
>Grippy af back cover
>Frontlight
>Blue light filter
>No MTP, just mass storage
>Got it for €149, MRSP €179
I love it. My PRS-T1 was so fucking buggy, I hated it so much. If I wanted to find an issue I would say it's the lack of SD reader, but I don't really care since I only use it for books and manga

Tell that to the 23 pirated manga volumes i have on my paperwhite right now

Kindle is just fine so I imagine Kobo would be too

Check the wiki

What format do you use? I have a bunch of PDFs but I'm having a hard time getting my kobo to display them in order

You can install custom fonts with Calibre. At least I can on my Kindle 4. Maybe it's different with the Paperwhite.

Use kindle comic coverter it works with kobo, it directly converts manga zip files to mobi or epub and works really well, I think you have to change the .zip extension to .cbz to edit metadata though.

Aren't e-readers too small for manga?

standard kindle, whatever text and converting it into MOBI, works well enough.

Would never buy it, but I like it very much. Stole it in London from some guy. Sorry Mark.

You can buy the Oasis

Thanks for the recommendation, this is exactly what I was looking for

Can do custom fonts on the Kobo as well

>Buying
LOL

they're all shit.

kindle is designed for paperback novels and only works reliably with books purchased directly from amazon. the formatting on custom loaded pdfs and epubs is terrible

maybe in a few years the page-sized eink readers will drop to a reasonable price

No.

is this true?

I got a paperwhite and it feels a little cramped reading from a tiny little black frame. I like the free books and not having to worry about creasing the spines though.

>kindle is designed for paperback novels and only works reliably with books purchased directly from amazon

Yeah nah. You just have to find .epub files and convert them to AZW3 using Caliber. It's that easy.

Kindle 4 NT with duokan user here.
PDF reflow is a godsend.

Why AZW3? I use mobi on it just fine.

why aren't you reading your chinese cartoons in a Sony Digital Paper® Sup Forums?

Because I'm poor

Just ordered a kobo aura one from some nips on ebay. Did i do well?

I bought a kindle basic. Turned on airplane mode right after activating it and its just drag and drop to put stuff on it.

One bad thing is that some of the poorly scanned pdfs I have are hard to read, and the zoom function is a bit screwy. Otherwise I like it a lot.

I bought a kindle a long time ago. After a couple of months with no complaints about it, one day it slid off my bed (knee height or less) and hit the floor. That's all it took to completely ruin it: the top half of the screen was intact, while the bottom had become a mess of black and white lines. I'm hesitant to buy something as fragile as that ever again, especially since they never seem to really go down in price. Being readable in direct sunlight and going for weeks between charges is nice, but I don't feel any strain reading from a tablet, charging it daily is not a big deal, and it lets me read with low light or under the sheets for maximum comfyness, which is more important to me than being able to read outside.

great for sequential reading of epubs and related formats, shit for everything else.

The build quality has improved considerably over the years and they even have a qt front light for reading in the dark.

I have a kindle paperwhite and have paid for 0 of the 86 books I've read on it. Libgen is your friend

Just get a ~6'' phone

>$599 for an e-reader with a pen gimmick
jesus fuck, how long have these things been in the market again?

Replace a ching-chong generic reader with a Kobo about six years ago, still going strong. I like the Kobo good store and easy to load other sources, I guess you could always read your Kobo library on one of the new ching-chong readers with the Android app.

>tfw Kobo kill their 6" high-DPI reader
If they brought back the Glo HD or similar, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

i only use it every now and then. i was trying to use it in the subway but its too large for me to use it 1 hand and not drop it
i've since bought the X and I'm using that more often than not.
the kobo is now sitting in my bag but i never use it anymore.
honestly, its more of a 1 time thing for me where i would use it for a few days then decide there is another method that is more superior and leave it for a few months then come back to it and rinse and repeat

Mine's a Glo, and I picked up a cheap factory refurb a spare glad I was OCD enough to do so. I remember the little 5" that came out at the same time as the Glo I though that would have been great if it had a backlight too. I miss the happy faces too. :(

>kobo aura h20 has no sd card slot
nice bait my friend

That's exactly what I did

Get Calibre if you haven't already, it's perfect for converting epubs to mobi and organizing your books

cause i read them so fast that i prefer to scroll through them on kissmanga and not read it like a retard that needs to flip the pages and wait for it to load
you guys must be retarded or something to be reading manga so slow. it's not like there are a bunch of words in super small font or anything

Thinking about gifting my niece a fire. It's basically a kindle that could play videos right?

its a tablet retard.

It is solid, when first booting. Remove from amazon account from PC. Dont connect to network. Then go in. Download Google Play. Move anything and everything amazon to a folder called "shit" and then BAM you have a android tablet with no ads for $30.

It's great for reading without getting tired eyes.
It's suited for reading text books or stories.
It doesn't support EPUB format, even when it's the best of the formats.
The detail that makes Kindle (and most other readers) suck is not having a big screen version for reading manga, comics, programming / engineering /math or books or any ebook that heavily relies on pictures.
There are some other trademarks with bigger screens that are better sited for these purposes, but are pretty expensive (ugly expensive kek).

You're dumb. You could've downloaded books in mobi format and read it in your kindle. The best format is EPUB as you can use calibre to convert it to any other format (mobi or pdf) without messing it.

After the initial setup you don't need to connect a Kindle online ever again. That's my experience. Using calibre and downloading epubs, mobis and pdfs. Some have typos but you get used to it. Whatever reader you buy make sure it'll work with calibre. Get one with a backlight.

v1 does, v2 doesn't.

Sony digital paper has been there for a while. There are also some devices with android like the goodreader or the onyx book. In general those devices with big e-ink screens aren't cheap and the software isn't good enough yet.

reMarkable users are waiting for software updates and a better customer support, but it offers the best experience for writing. It runs GNU/Linux and it's possible to connect via SSH and run custom applications on it. If it gets popular enough it can become a great gadget.

If you don't have a choice you can use briss to split the pdf into smaller pages which fit better.

i've been using the Nook ereader for years, it loads pirated epubs flawlessly, though PDFs are hit or miss.

No.

i read poorly translated asian novels with koreader on an old kindle touch with the microphone and wifi antennae removed

Fast enough

About to get a Paperwhite for use with Calibre. Is reading comics/mangas doable? Like, is the screen too small or anything? I'm mostly into non-illustrated stuff but would like to get into manga if possible.

I really hope they do go down in price. I'd pay around $300 for one.

I got a 6.8" Kobo and it just doesn't cut it for manga.

Fixed potato quality. VP9 when.

I would say its too small for graphic novels, since its not easy to pitch and drag around (eink is slow) like in a phone/tablet. 10" is ok for it, like in vid.

Hm, okay, will wait then, or start on PC. They don't sell anything except Kindles here. Thanks!

It's pretty shit for manga. I ended up straining my eyes faster compared to reading on tablet since I tend to focus my eyes too much to read small fonts.

I have a paperwhite I never use, what are some interesting teach things I can do with it? Can I install Linux on it?

i have a kobo aura h2o for reading all my cert books

my only complaint is that it fucking sucks at interpreting clicking hyperlinks
it almost always either prioritizes page turns or highlighting words to provide the definition

This. I've got a plain regular Kindle 7th Gen (I think) and just download all my books, convert them if needed and transfer through Calibre. Never go online and it works perfectly. Paperwhite would be a plus, but it costs twice as much. I just got a clip on light instead, but I still prefer reading near a bed light or something.

i really want sony digital paper but im 2poor
kindles are just too small for me

Great for text, kinda bad for everything else.
Don't get a kindle though, get a kobo instead.

Have you tried reading books on it?

> Have you tried reading books on it?
Yeah, in the end having a separate device for it is more hassle than the better screen is worth, at least for me. Also by now I'm used to scrolling while reading, which you can do with a phone app but the kindle doesn't support.

A 6" phone has less surface area and width than a 6" kindle, because of the 16:9 aspect ratio, so it's worse for ebooks. Not to mention that you'd get a very shitty phone for the price of a kindle.

I never understood trying to read manga on one of these. Someone who has the money for a luxury item like an e-reader surely can afford a tablet, which is a thousand times more versatile and much, much better for manga and comics. E-readers are for people who are really into reading novels or essays; they are not for technical texts, comics, manuals or reference books.

Its simple. Get latest kobo (high res version), kobo is objectively better, it uses same screen technology, but the screen is higher res and is larger. There are other things too like better software, better customisation options etc.
I own paperwhite(also had voyager bit lost it) and its not bad, it does the job but the kobo is simply better

Yeah it depends lad

pros:
>adjustable backlight, automatic adjustment
>can read in total darkness
>small, light, portable
>can pirate
>can carry 500,000 books everywhere
>can turn page with a press, dont need to adjust vision, focus, hands or where you are looking

cons:
>more expensive than a book
>needs charging
>pirated ebooks are fucked up format-wise
>not all books are available to pirate
>cant quickly scan through the book because of page-load times

>cant quickly scan through the book because of page-load times
at least you can ctrl+f, but yeah this is a valid point

yes, pretty much the best ereader out today that is free from amazon cancer

I actually want an ereader, but I have no monies. Where can I buy cheap used Kindles? Amazon doesn't seem to list them, and $50 for a refurbished is literally too much.

>unlike ebook readers my ipad pro 12" can fully display textbook pdfs

My paperweight has literally zero non-pirated books on it

I have a Kobo. Unlike nook and kindle, it is easy to load pirated books on to it

> luxury item

not at all. these things are cheap as shit compared to their usage. would you say

It has an extremely limited functionality compared to other portable devices that cost around the same, and that the people who buy them already own in many cases. That's what makes them a luxury item, the fact that you don't need them. It's like having two separate phones for making calls and using the internet.

Is there one with good physical buttons and enough refresh rate to zoom into pdfs without getting buggy? Seriously considering droping my ipad for this.

Its easy to load books onto a kindle you mongloid. You just plug it into your computer and it works like a goddamned harddrive

>epub

>durr i dont know how to convert to mobi

I was going to say 'I'm surprised by the negativity here,' but then I remembered where I was. I'll also surely be called a shill here in a moment as I have a lot of praise for my Kindle.

I picked up a Kindle Voyage maybe 2 months back? I really like it. I don't know that the glass screen and 'physical buttons' are really worth it over the Paperwhite, but I got a good deal and am not disappointed.

It's extremely easy to load books on to it if you're not interested in purchasing them. I have not purchased a single book, for instance.

I'd highly recommend one if you travel often and want to read on the go. The display makes it easy on the eyes while you're reading.

Conversion to MOBI from PDFs or EPUBs is simple. If you do pick up a Kindle, look up Calibre as it's kind of a power-user's app for managing collections. It'll handle all that for you.

>having to convert rather than just getting native support

I have a Kobo glo and just keep all my ebooks on the SD card.

It's pretty nice, but feels old.

I use it mostly as a notepad and being able to annotate pdf with a pen is great. I know a tablet would have better functionality but would not have an eink screen. Also for other stuff I prefer my 13 inch laptop.

I don't want to worry about running out of battery or having to turn the screen off.

And I agree with you about luxury devices. Big screen e-ink devices aren't cheap. But I won't call a 200$ ebook a luxury. For many people the reading experience is worth it.

Dumbfuck, you can buy (or pirate) epub books and convert them to mobi

See this, all this non-native workaround faff turns kindle owners into butthurt crybabies.

Same. It's great.