PowerPC Mac Thread

PowerPC Mac Thread

The only true Macintosh Experience.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=96GX4tsvBbY
raptorcs.com/
powerpc-notebook.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They were good at the time but they're shit now.

Why did PowerPC go extinct?

Intel kikes.

They were space heaters, and despite what IBM claimed, they were not able to keep up with the competition

The mac mini g4 is a pretty competent machine though. It's still good for basic tasks and shitposting.

>The only true Macintosh Experience.

Nobody was able to make the G5 practical for laptop use until Apple had already begun the switch to Intel.

No. The only true Mac experience.
If you want the true Macintosh experience you need a 68k Macintosh like Quadra 650 or 950.

Intel bumped up their game and IBM was drawing away from the consumer market. PowerPC merged back with POWER and is still used by IBM in their big irons. It's far from extinct.

No, this is.
youtube.com/watch?v=96GX4tsvBbY

OP, contribute to your thread you sperg

Has anyone installed Linux on a WD MyBook? I've been meaning to get one

Imagine a giant penis flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant penis. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant penis rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant penis is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant penis slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant penis finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests uncomfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using a mac is like.

You're over exaggerating a little...
Good pasta though, I missed it.

do you seriously believe what you wrote?

It didn't, it just got specialized to server use by IBM. Only very recently have there finally been attempts to bring the POWER architecture back for desktop use:

raptorcs.com/

powerpc-notebook.org/

What was incorrect about it?

I used a Mac Mini G4 for shitposting and it is slow. I put in the maximum amount of ram in there, a total of 1GB. It could be that I was using a 1920x1080 monitor and the graphics couldn't handle it, but yeah, it is slow. I did enjoy my eMac even though the disk drive died. I enjoyed running Mac OS 9.x, probably my favorite OS for retro gaming, besides Workbench 1.3. I did buy it for like 16 bucks on eBay and I might switch from Morph OS (Amiga-like for PPC) to Gentoo or a Libre OS.

>$16 for a Mac Mini G4
That's a pretty good deal

MorphOS is extremely fast on them, but pretty useless for actual use.
Linux is probably a good choice if you want to get some use out of them.

The old G3, G4 and G5 shit is pretty cheap these days as people just want to get rid of it and know it's useless, unless you live somewhere with lots of hipsters.

>think it's useless
FTFY

It's useless for normie shit like 1080p YouTube/Netflix.

Looks like there is a site called MacOS9Lives, and they attempted or are still attempting to get Mac OS 9 to run on their Mac Mini's.

They are getting close to running Mac OS 9 on newer hardware. I could probably help them out and test their code on my Mac.

I used to FullHD YouTube on my PowerMac G5

The emac is just so fucking thicc that trying to incorporate it into any desk setup is nearly impossible

Makes sense, just use a shitty monitor. 480/720p monitor + G4 = cheap ass mini shitposting/theatre computer/unix box

I just sat it on the floor. It was like literally 50 pounds because the CRT monitor, but I loved running Mac OS 9.x on it. That is my favorite version of Classic Mac OS. Glider Pro is fun, especially the fact you can make custom levels. I would use it on a custom desk. You are correct, it is ginormous, but, if you have a keyboard tray underneath, the desk, you can still fit a keyboard and mouse. Eventually, I donated it to a PC Recycling center because the CD drive wouldn't work. It would just spit the disk out 98% of the time so it took me a long time to install an OS. I could of opened the eMac and installed a new DVD drive, however, it was built in a way where you would of had to removed the shell. I would of had to work with the CRT monitor to reach the disk drive and I'm afraid of getting electrocuted by the CRT monitor.

Im thinking about buying a G5, what is the highest I should pay?

Looks like they are selling them for about 100 or so bucks on eBay.

>I destroyed it instead of throwing it on CL for cheap so someone smarter than me could enjoy it

PC recycling doesn't mean destroy. Most PC recycling places I know will take your donated hardware and refurbish them then resell them. I went to a PC recycling center in Oregon and they sold a bunch of Macs. They had a large section of PPC Macs and a few intel Macs. They also had PC's like Dells, but those had GNU/Linux installed on them. I think all the non Apple hardware had GNU/Linux on them.

I have a 12" PowerBook G4, maxed out on RAM and in great shape with a good battery. I don't really use it but I can't bring myself to part with it, I love the look of it and the build quality is phenomenal. What's the best linux or other OS distro for an old PowerBook like that?

OpenBSD

It was a dead weight. It offered nothing significant and advantageous to a general-purpose desktop use case over x86 with its lackluster integer performance, higher cost due to lower production volume, higher heat output and lagging progress in general. PowerPC was a great competitor to the low-end and primarily business/compatibility-focused chips Intel was pushing out in 1994, but by 2004 it was just a slightly slower, hotter-running dinosaur of an architecture that only really existed outside of the Apple ecosystem to service vendor-locked shops running legacy applications. It still did its job and it was plenty fast at a semi-affordable price point, but commodity hardware was even faster and even more affordable. PowerPC had no compelling reason to continue existing on the desktop with all of the problems it had.

I got a dual 2.0GHz G5 for 70€, but that was years ago

>PowerPC was a great competitor to the low-end and primarily business/compatibility-focused chips Intel was pushing out in 1994, but by 2004 it was just a slightly slower, hotter-running dinosaur of an architecture that only really existed outside of the Apple ecosystem to service vendor-locked shops running legacy applications.
PowerPC used to be quite ahead of x86 for most of the 90's.

>dinosaur of an architecture
No. x86 is the dinosaur from the late 70's. PowerPC was only made in '91.
Both had their microarchitectures that got constantly updated.

>I used to FullHD YouTube on my PowerMac G5

It's funny how little we've progressed.

>twf got 2 mac g5 for 15 euro's
its nice as a space heater and the design of the mac g5 space heater is still top notch 12 years after release.

Such a waste of apple to have abandoned it's design with the 2013 mac pro model...

Don't worry, 2018 mac pro finna kill the game this year