He still hasn't set up his PiHole

>he still hasn't set up his PiHole

Anonymous! Pathetic.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/StevenBlack/hosts
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What do you use it for?

Doesn't this mean all your internet will be going through the Pi USB-ethernet?

I have a first-gen Pi. All my browsers have ublock and umatrix, my phone additionally has adaway. Would this benefit me and how much trouble is it to setup?

No, only DNS queries

obvious botnet
>trust your raspberry pi goyim, see you can ssh into it

I use pfsense

>not using pfsense

is that edge i see?..

Why would I do this when I can do the same thing on my router?

>634MB of used RAM
The absolute STATE of Linux in 2018.

Pretty sure I can do the same with just pfBlockerNG

>not using *BSD for networking shit
lmaoing @ ur lyf

>not just properly configuring your firewall

not me. but I do use edge on occasion

>censoring the version

why? are you atrociously out of date?

Is this better than openwrt?

github.com/StevenBlack/hosts
Pi-Hole is bloat.

Seems redundant.

I would you know that my pee hole is perfectly functional

Also gotta love censoring the address bar but the page title still giving away the address...

Bump, I'm in the same boat. Got a B+ that I'm not using and I might try this in the meantime. had a piratebox running for a while but decided it was stupid.

>Only works on Windows
>Doesn't block anything on Linux, OS X, Android, iOS, your Video Game Consoles (which you all own stop lieing)

I don't know which is more funny, linking to a Hosts file or a Windows user even trying to call anyone else out for "Bloat"

>windows users

not care to explain? you mean THE hosts file on *nix doesnt work or that THAT specific "project" only works on windows (even though is says it works on linux)?

>pfsense.peralta.lan
dude, that's some stupid ass shit surname even where you live.

hacked you :^)

Protipp: Never show your ip on the internet, friend

I've had one for a while now. Easy to set up in a VM so no reason not to.

Your router/firewall draws 100W+
Mine draws 10W at max load.

It's a VM, you mong.

> internet connection so slow it can be processed by an RPi

git gud scrub

anyone who uses a pi seriously instead of for prototyping is retarded
just like anyone who uses 3d printers to actually make things instead of prototyping them then getting actual manufacturing going

my nigga

>using a USB interfaced ethernet device for a firewall/router

>user@ubuntu

>user@ubuntu
Yes and? It's a VM, no reason to put anymore thought into it.

But what is it?

I try to give things somewhat meaningful names.

Nah a i5 650 only draws like 60w right?

The VM is named within the hypervisor, no need to rename the machine.

So it uses even MORE power to run the host OS/hypervisor too? It's your energy bill. It's your loss.

Don't forget the base load from the motherboard, RAM, HDD/SSD and PSU conversion loss.

my bay trail powered pfsense and networking stack only draws 70w
that's my switch, ubiquiti AP, and pfsense machine itself

>So it uses even MORE power to run the host OS/hypervisor too?
How dumb are you? He clearly uses it for other things as well.
>It's your energy bill. It's your loss
No, it's actually not.

What's the fucking point of this if you can just use any old Adblocker?

Autism

It works on devices that you can't install adblockers on, but anybody who uses a pi hole is only doing it because the internet said so, if they understood dns they would be able to do it themselves

Senpai.. Notice me..

I might buy this software when I get home?

>Pays for a subscription at less than the cost of a Raspberry Pi for several years.

No thanks, keep the accessory jew outta here.

Uh...it's python script idiot. Works on Linux without issue.

Yo fucking niggers why does nobody in a pihole thread answer a "is pihole useful under these circumstances" question ffs

Also Chrome on Android will ignore any manual DNS settings and resolve internally to google DNS servers no matter what you set on your network. So if normies jump on they'll still get ads.

c-call me pathetic more!

It benefits by not only blocking ads on your browser but anything that tries to call out on your network. Also less bloat running on your browser.

Including on my XBox and all the apps on my phone and my guests devices.

Bandwidth saving is surprisingly notable.

Easy hate for you.
No using SSL Valid.

Problem is, as soon as you GOTO a Cafe or something you need your rpi with you or virtualised pihole.

Not wrong, but that misses the point. On my phone I still have DNS66 installed to for exactly that reason.

It's all the devices/apps/shit I can't ad-block. Great example is my news reader app embeds adds in articles. Not anymore. My Xbox never nags me. My TV doesn't upload my shit to Panasonic.

It's about control of your network. You could also maintain a VPN into your network to do it that way.. Been waiting for 100/100mb pipe to host it myself.

>he doesn't have a kawaii-ugoo pi cluster

You fail as an onii-chan

This is one of those situations where you could have bought an i5 based machine for the same money you spent on the cluster and got better performance and better IO/connectivity and a ton more adaptability.

OpenVPN

But you can't shitpost pics of an i5 machine on Sup Forums

Not wrong.

>i5 based machine

This is one of those situations where you could have bought an dual Xeon based machine for the same money you spent on the cluster and got better performance and better IO/connectivity and a ton more adaptability.

Yeah sure if you're going a couple of gens old. Who gives a fuck, the point remains the same.

Get off my lawn you young shit!

> Great example is my news reader app embeds adds in articles
But how come a host-based blocker at the network level works better than a host-based blocker at the device level? Unless DNS66 isn't host based but then it's shit, install adaway.

Anyway thanks for the insight, since my devices consist only of pcs and phones right now it doesn't look like it's worth bothering with. Although blocking ads on guest devices might be interesting.

Plenty of devices can't or don't provide root access. In my case, I use my phone for payments and banking, which requires it pass safety net. Xbox is locked down to fuck, TV doesn't give me root.. etc etc

DNS66 runs a VPN and captures all of your DNS requests and responds to them. Gives you device level ad-blocking without requiring root, so definitely not a bad choice.

The other reason I like my skyhole is it dramatically improves DNS response times, because it's all cached locally. Run a DNS logger and see how many things ignore your PC caches and hit your DNS server again on each request.. Every 10 seconds.

Really pretty impressive.

Which is a great reason not to secure your home network....retard confirmed.

please tell me this is bait

How is installing a pihole "securing" your network? Might as well ip ban at firewall.

Not everyone wants to ovpn back to their home connection.

Nulling botnet DNS queries.