/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAWJEA6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
amazon.com/gp/product/B01AIZXZHQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
au.pcpartpicker.com/user/elvishclock/saved/nFy7hM
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/7H2rxr/phanteks-case-phec416pscbk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is there any mining beginners guide?

Is now a good time to build a PC for 4k video editing? Any significant processor releases in 2018 that would be better to wait for?

yeah

linking to here for advice

I'm trying to put together a mini itx build from some left over parts but I can't decide on a graphics card. i'll probably end up just using onboard graphics until i can get a good gpu for a reasonable price.

>CPU
i7-4790k
>RAM
2x8gb 1866mhz
>GPU
????
>Storage
240gb intel730 ssd
1T wd 10k rpm hdd

>4790k
>onboard graphics

??

Planning on buying this Dell U2417H when it goes on sale again for $150. Who here owns this monitor and is it good compared to other monitors at this price range? i have a gtx 1060 and only play like 2 games so gaymen performance isn't really that important to me

Will a ASUS Prime A320M-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 Motherboard work with a Ryzen 5 1600x? I only see it advertising the 7th gen.

it should work but i wouldn't ever consider an a320 board for an R5. they are cheap boards often found in pre-builts. a b350 will be of better quality and not much more expensive.

All things considered, was buying a EVGA GTX 1050 for $140 a good deal, or should I just cancel it and get something else?

well in that regard, what about a Z170-E. I am thinking of upgrading my i5 6600k processor and asus z170-e motherboard to a ryzen 5 1600x and asus b350.

Is IPS in a monitor a necessity?

What editor? Premiere? What codecs are you usually working with?

no. if youre on a budget you need to decide if color/viewing angle, refresh rate, or resolution is most important to you. ips has the best color accuracy and viewing angles.

WHY I DON'T BUY THAT RX 580 IN DECEMBER AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Will prebuilts spike in price in the next 2 weeks? Waiting to get paid

because you are a pajeet

its up to you, any reason you want to upgrade? because honestly i doubt you will notice a worth while difference in performance for what you will be paying for a new cpu+mb.

because you bought into the waitfag meme instead

I haven't exactly been getting 60fps on metal gear v, saints row 4, and some other games on dolphin emulator. don't know if it is because of processor or ram or gpu. Mostly I still feel liked I didn't do something right on my first build.

what should i look for in wireless card?

Premiere. As far as codecs I don't know, it's for my brother and afaik he hasn't done any editing in a long time it's something he wants to get in to again.

How is 1050 for 1080p? Is 1050 ti worth the extra 50 bucks?

Just put together my first PC and a fan (pretty sure its the stock AMD cooler) is making a grumbling, crunchy sort if sound. What the fuck is up what that shit?

2 things
1)what kind of amd gpu/cpu?
2)have you over clocked?

well i don't know too much about emulator performance except that they are quite CPU intensive so maybe a CPU upgrade might not be a bad idea. However, if all you care about is emulator performance, Intel will outperform Ryzen. So in that case I would consider an i5-8400 instead. But I don't know enough about emulators to tell you if will see a significant difference.

Yeah, I think I am mostly just having a George Lucas problem, built the dream but constantly feel the need to "improve" it.

>sleep
>try to wake
>doesn't wake

What combinations of Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card are usually immune to this?

>grumbling crunchy

Probably a spinning HDD or a cd/dvd drive

Just got my 1080ti for 800$. Feels good, wonder if anyone is going to order the last 30 in stock, been in stock for a few weeks. Same with the 1070tis for 450$

Just poke the fan to stop it... does the noise stop? then its the fan.

[spoiler]where[/spoiler]

Going into video editing, is a sound card necessary for that? pls say no

Got a pair of its older brothers, U2414H. Knowing Dell 2417 is probably same shite, repackaged. Solid monitors even when not discounted, when on sale it's a steal.

Right now is such a shit time to get a new computer. Processors are a complete shitshow unless you want a workstation ryzen build, ram is twice as expensive as it's supposed to be, gpus are out of stock everywhere.
My computer's still fine, so I'm not complaining, but it's weird that as time goes on I want to upgrade less and less.

But there are no E-ATX/CEB workstation ryzen motherboard

Is this case
amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAWJEA6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
compatible with this mother board
amazon.com/gp/product/B01AIZXZHQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

yes
both are atx

is a 1070 overkill for 1080p ultrawide monitor?

also, do you think the current situation with high prices for memory and GPUs will improve any time soon? or is it about to get worse?

not if you get it at 75-100hz

I have a 1080 for a 1080p at 60hz and its still not enough to have consistent 60+ fps on games with everything turned to maximum.

don't believe the memes.

>>G4560/G4600

Don't use bullshit placebo anti-aliasing and ultra shaders or whatever and you'll be good for years

who put shittel back on the list?

8tb, 10tb or 12tb hdd?

>placebo anti-aliasing and ultra shaders
what did he mean by this?

/pcbg/ rate my list
4tb HDD, and Fans come from previous build, and fans may not be all used. Additional GPU will be bought at later date
i aim to use this for gaming and video editing
prices are in AUD

do I need a dvd drive to install windows 10 on a fresh new system without an os installed. How do I do it.

what a weird build

usb stick

Is it obvious I don't have a clue what I'm doing?

considering i have no idea what im doing either, probably yes. what kind of video editing are you doing? because i know if it was just for gaming it would be ridiculous

also, if you're spending all that moneys, may as well spend $50 extra and get a nice looking case

I mean if you have 4-5 options for both, the top 1 or 2 are always bullshit with insane diminishing returns. You get 2% better visuals for like a 10% hit in performance

YouTube, and television mostly.
now that i think about it...maybe im spending to much? and should just scale it back for gaming or something?
any suggestions on a case

I've got a Ryzen 1600 ready for my build, i'm not sure how much i'll be overclocking since i'm going to be using a low profile noctua cooler, with that in mind, what would the best RAM to get? Still aim for 3000-3200mhz?

I remember watching a Linus video saying that the right point for RAM speed for ryzen was 2666, anything past that wasn't actually such a huge improvement.

>any suggestions on a case
it all comes down to personal preference, really. if you are happy with that case, go for it, but i personally think its ugly as fuck, im currently making a build and really like the look of this one:
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/7H2rxr/phanteks-case-phec416pscbk

thats a sexy case

Does anyone know how to get a windows10 product key for cheap

yeah it looks great, nice and smooth and no window (old computer had a window and it was annoying as fuck)

good air flow?

don't know, but i just realised you won't be able to have your fan controller because no drive bays. but there are plenty of good looking cases for around the same price

ebay, it'll be of dubious legality like any cheap product key will be, i.e., resold student/corporate/bulk/oem/unused keys

decided to scale back build to be just gaming, so might be able to use that case maybe. looks like I'm in for another 6 hours of fumbling around

is it worth it

if you're going for just gaming i can help you out a bit:
spend a little bit more on you motherboard, an extra $50 will be worth it.
8gb of ram should be enough, but go for 16gb if you really want
a single good GPU is almost always better than two, so consider that (though GPU prices are fucking crazy right now). with the monitor you're getting, a single rx580 should go great.
and with a single GPU a 650W PSU will be more than enough.
and you really wont need that many fans, it will be loud as fuck, you should only need 2 or 3 case fans total.

Just got the Fractal Define R6. Sexy as fuck and whisper quiet. Plus it's got a drive bay, space enough for the Noctua DH15 I put in and I literally couldn't hear the fans while doing Prime95 max temp stress test.

does it need to be 650, or can i get away with like 550?

What the fuck is the point of even trying to build your rig when graphics cards and Ram are so fucking hyperinflated in price right now? Fuck you Nvidia, fuck you chinks

The only thing to do right now is to join 30% of /biz/ in praying for the cryptocurrency apocalypse.

550w should be enough, but im not certain. a good way to check is to look at user builds of the people who left reviews of the parts you're getting, i would look at the builds with similar GPUs.

>i5 8400
Question, is this CPU good enough to run a VM on top of linux for gaming needs (which may also consist of streaming through the VM as well) or is it safer to go with an i7? If so, will normal 8700 be okay?
(Note: Basing build off of the 1080p 100+ fps build pcpartpicker example)

>dat sag

New list, knocked 1K off price
i may not need the case as i have a shaw eco mk 3. but reluctant to use it as its a little ugly and heard horror stories

How important is a gpu for 3d modeling at 4k?
Is a rx 460 enough if i have a good ryzen 7 cpu?

is the Silverstone - GD09B HTPC a good choice for a case?

Look on pcpartpicker, i saw a rx580 4gb model in B&H listed for 300$.

If China clamps down on crypto currencies, the market will be flooded with used GPU’s.

tfw fell for 32GB RAM meme

It will be getting good soon, this crypto meme is nearing critical mass

4k editing is not as intensive as you think, a good 6-core like the Ryzen 5 and at least 8gb of ram (16gb is better if you want to multitask) is enough for 4k.

Whether or not is it good to build a 4k editing PC or not is up to you, if you really need such a PC right now you should get it, new processors releases are not coming out until April, don't buy for the wait meme. If your PC can do 4k reasonably well right now and rendering time is not a huge hindrance then waiting might be a good idea because even though most components are very cheap now a days, ram and GPU prices are super inflated, and ram and GPU acceleration helps video editing quite a lot.

If you really need a good 4k editing PC right now i suggest to get a Ryzen 5 1600 or a used Xeon because ddr3 ram is much cheaper, and then get a used mid-range Nvidia GPU made in the past 5 years for GPU acceleration and you'll be good for 4k.

>tfw Ryzen 1700X and GTX 1080
>no idea what monitor to get
>conflicting reports from anons saying get 1080p 144Hz or get 1440p IPS cuz TN is crap...

Do you play online shooters?
>Yes
1080/144
>No
1440p IPS

TN is crap buy IPS if you can afford it.
If you are on a budget, just get TN.

definitely don't play those. But so many people are saying 144Hz for anything - browsing, OS usage, is like God himself pissing in your eyes

Are we likely to see return to normal prices anytime this year, even if temporary? Or are we eternally fucked because cryptofaggots?

When the bubble pops.
Maybe

do ram for ryzen really need to be 3000 or greater?

Hoping someone can answer this

absolutely not. But it makes more use of 3000+ RAM than Intel

it's very hard to say because we don't know what games you have in mind. Generally unless you fine tune everything and know exactly what you're doing, a VM will be a noticeable drop in performance - think 15-35%. If you want to get the most out of the VM read a shitload of tutorials about QVM, PCI passthrough etc.

>Missed an Asus ROG Strix RX580 for 285$
>Missed a Gigabyte Aorus XTR RX580 for 290$
>Missed a Gigabyte Aorus XTR 1060 6GB for 250$
>Missed a MSI Blower Style GTX1070 for 380$
>Missed an Asus Dual O8G OC Edition for 400$

>Missed a motherfucking Asus Rog Strix 1080ti for motherfucking 600$ just today

Building a pc was a fucking mistake. End it all.

does a psu need to be gold+ or can i get away with bronze or no efficiency rating

Is it good to pair ryzen with a 1060? Radeon cards are overpriced as fuck (even Nvidia, but slightly less i think?) and hard to find.

Usage will be work (mostly ssh/VMs/Programming) and gayming 1080p.

Is there any better/cleanest case than NZXT H440?

Worth it to WaterCool CPU AND GPU or just a waste of money? Would like to overclock and keep everything silent and cooled.

How crap are AOC 144hz FHD monitors compared to benq and asus?

you definitely want at least a bronze

Solution for overpriced GPUs
Just start mining yourself
Then you can afford expensive GPUs