Is there any good reason to switch to mpv from VLC? It works fine [on my machine]

Is there any good reason to switch to mpv from VLC? It works fine [on my machine].

The only thing I'm possibly missing is some nice sound visualizations, but I'm sure I can download that somewhere.

Have you guys switched just because it's more minimalistic?

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/ubone/562d43d59f6ddcc
github.com/nezumisama/mpvmenu
github.com/carmanaught/mpvcontextmenu
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I use vlc, it's fine.

>mpc is obsolete
>vlc is glitchy
>mpv is a pretentious hipster meme
>wmp sends your data to microsoft

Why cannot there be a single GOOD video player? Why hasn't anybody done it? Why doesn't Sup Forums make it?

VLC is fine.
That's about it.

You didn't provide a valid argument against mpv, so it must be the good video player you're talking about.

bomi. The dev probably died, but the player is the best

Why is MPC obsolete?

>he doesnt play all his videos with ffplay

ytdl

If it werks it werks, no reason to switch, but I had problems with it in the past, like it couldn't handle really high bitrate soundtracks or large files (40 GB), so I switched to mpv. I just tried it now, and it can play back 50 GB 4K movies just fine on the same computer, so the issue seems to have been fixed by now.

>mpv is a pretentious hipster meme
I'm not a keyboard-only software fanatic, but I got used to the shortcuts pretty quickly, although I tend to watch a few movies per week.

Pointless now quantum killed the open with extension

>seek with vlc
>artifacts everywhere
It's been like this for a fucking decade, why can't they fix it?

mpv can't broadcast video like a you watch movie on tv.

English please?

use GOM

gist.github.com/ubone/562d43d59f6ddcc 8d63c228e3ce717e8

too complicate to explain

so, there are valid reasons not to use mpc, vlc and wmp but no valid reason not to use mpv? seems correct desu

I think meant that mpv can't be used like some sort of streaming host to mpv clients.

There is no valid reason to use mpc either, according to your logic.

Well yeah, it's a video player not a media server.

There's a bunch of mpv frontends out there if you don't like the minimalism, though.

We are on 2018, not 2002 anymore!

>pic

That kid is going places

>not using potplayer

>shitty sound
>shitty gui
>shitty video renderer
>limited to winshit

>Is there any good reason to switch to mpv from VLC?
Drop both and go the ONLY rightfully correct road - Pot.

not really, but why not install both

>not using SMPlayer as a front end for mpv.

> front end for mpv
i don't get it
doesn't mpv already come with a "front end"? It shows you the video and has minimal UI with seekbar and some buttons, plus more stuff behind hotkeys
what else do you need? GUI settings like vlc or mpc? Those were needed back in the ages of manually downloading and installing codecpacks, but now when shit just works ootb - what's the point?

for people who abhor keyboards
There are people out there who can't live without a file picker in their video player.

What is searching for the video in your default file explorer and dragging and dropping it into mpv

yes, it comes with a front-end
it doesn't come with a gui
people confuse terms

>Main Menu
>Playlist
>YouTube Browser

Something that most people can't do

use a computer? I guarantee anyone who decides to download anything other than VLC or windows media player knows how to do that

Well, I wouldn't really know. One of the first things people tend to complain about in mpv is its lack of file picker.

I just want to tune the volume, video aspect and add subtitles from a file.
Easily solvable with a customizable right-click menu.
github.com/nezumisama/mpvmenu
or
github.com/carmanaught/mpvcontextmenu

>pretentious hipster meme
>it literally just works
Found our good player

mpv is one of the few good Sup Forums memes, it's unironically the best player I've ever used.

Isn't volume-tuning already in the OSC? you just have to use the scroll-wheel to adjust it.

>actually using wheel-left/right

It must be a Windows thing.

I don't know why it's like that but it just werks for me. Just put the mouse pointer on the volume icon and scroll. You can always change the granularity to 1 if you want it to be more fine.

hey you use adwaita dark with leafpad too

= cycle video-unscaled
- cycle-values window-scale 2 1
WHEEL_UP add volume 5
WHEEL_DOWN add volume -5
WHEEL_LEFT ignore
WHEEL_RIGHT ignore

Yeah, but you're a faggot.

>hey you use adwaita dark with leafpad too
Sorry user, that's ST3 with the brogrammer color scheme.