/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Old thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/electro7/dotfiles/issues/7
github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker
dnf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user_faq.html#why-are-dnf-check-update-packages-not-marked-for-upgrade-in-the-following-dnf-upgrade
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for grep

>thoughts on Fedora? is it botnet?
a solid "just works" distro with mature community of people who simply want to get shit done.

too boring for people with too much time on their hands, too unpopular for newcomers.
basically "rpm blue debian with faster updates"

no more "botnet" than any other distro out there

It's so anti-botnet that it comes with less software than slackware

Okay, any video player available with VR support (HTC VIVE) for GNU/Linux? Preferably if it works with SteamVR, thanks.

>just works
Tb h it's better than just works. Name me one distro other than Fedora that has installer boot flags (like forcing the installer to use GPT for partitioning).

First for love.

yea fedora installer is the best one i've seen

too bad ( good actually ) i don't see it that often, it's pure joy to use

fedora reeks of soy

You reek of fresh off the boat

why should I use arch over debian unstable?

still better than soy

new to gentoo, just installed it the other day and i have a couple of Qs

how "cutting edge" is gentoo testing branch? is it stable? for comparison would it be closer to say debian testing or debian sid in stability and package newness?
is it worth jumping over completely or is it better to stay on stable and only use testing branch for certain packages?

also if i want something bleeding edge from git does portage have a feature like debian/ubuntu's checkinstall command which builds and installs a local package after you run make so your non-repo programs are managed by the package manager, or do i have to just make install and manage it myself?
ive done a quick google and flipped through the man page but cant seem to find if portage can do this or not. i dont need a tutorial, if someone could point me in the right direction ill look it up myself.
i feel like this is something that portage should be able to do really easily since its entire thing is installing from source

Any of you guys tried or heard anyone using the Librem 13’ with hardware kill-switches? I like the concept, but hate the aesthetics though. It comes with its own pureOS, anyone heard of this or can recommend?

I want to upgrade from my x240 shitbox, I really like the new XPS 13 aesthetics but I heard you can’t do certain firmware updates in linux.

Not sure what to do lads

aur for one.
Using debian for anything but stable completely misses the point of using debian. If you want more up to date debian just use fucking ubuntu

It's a newfag meme made by redditors and was forced heavily by reddit immigrants

Weird thing happening with my Fedora 27 installation.
dnf check-update says that there is an update available for ffmpeg but upgrade says that there is nothing to update. entering check-update again, it says that the update is available. What is happening here?

>is it worth jumping over completely or is it better to stay on stable and only use testing branch for certain packages?
always use the packages marked as stable by the devs, don't globally unmask ~. If you need a specific, newer version of a certain software (example: you need gcc 8.0) unmask that version for that software or unmask that one software.

Portage has -9999 versions of many software, these versions pull the latest sources from git/svn.

no need to get frustrated soydora user.

You're not helping your case

but debian sid provides all the bleeding edge binaries I need while the AUR is just recipes for compiling upstream source

Why the fuck are you asking this stupid question if you know for a fact that debian sid provides all the bleeding edge binaries you need?

Fuck me you may want to be a debian user but your desperate attempt at having your decision approved by someone else proves your mind is that of an archnigger

>AUR is just recipes for compiling upstream source
AUR is recipes. Upstream source? Not really.

Enlighten me about music players. In windows i can just right-click a folder and start playing all songs contained in it. If i do the same in linux nothing happens. Are there any other easy methods of playing folders?

go into the folder, ctrl+a, right click open

lmao that's embarrassing.

hello /fglt/

I'm having some jank font issues with i3 lemonbar, the same mentioned by this guy:

github.com/electro7/dotfiles/issues/7

I added the relevant lines mentioned in my i3 config. When I kill i3_lemonbar.sh and refresh i3 it doesn't fix itself, however logging out and in again sometimes does?

I created a logout script which solves my problem some of the time, I'm a brainlet so I can't figure out why it doesn't work the other half of the time
#!/bin/bash
pkill i3_lemonbar.sh
fc-cache -v
pkill -u username

here's me logging in again afterwards and it renders correctly.

Anyone know what's going on?

Here's a screencap of my problem. Anyone know what the problem is? My guess is that there's some unresolved dependency.

Does printing via postscript mean that I can use any printer without having to download drivers from the manufacturer?

How does spectre/meltdown affect my librebooted x200?

You are affected until the methods that don't involve loading the new firmwares made by Intel are made mainline and included in your distro.

PROTIP: github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker

Clicking one more time to o a folder then going ctrl+a is too much off a hassle for me. In windows it just works. So i downloaded vlc and right clicking works, it also has its own folder browser. Only downside is it resets its default directory to /home after rebooting and playlist keeps old songs after selecting new folder to play. I'll look further on my own.

>in windows
why did you switch from windows in first place?
if it's purely for meme reasons and Sup Forums propaganda - you gonna have a bad time, since there will be nothing of worth for you in linux, meanwhile those little quirks and imperfections in various DEs will drive you up the wall. It's a tradeoff but if you aren't getting anything in return - why bother?

>oh good. a /fglt/ thread
>ctrl F ; grep
>Dammit!

dnf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user_faq.html#why-are-dnf-check-update-packages-not-marked-for-upgrade-in-the-following-dnf-upgrade

ok thanks a lot. looks like the few packlages i want to keep bleeding edge have 9999 versions in the repo.
that's a really nice feature. other distros should do this

...but what about if/when i come across something that isnt in the repo? its bound to happen at least once at some point. can i install something like that using portage instead of having to deal with make install? i would really prefer for all of my software to be managed using the package manager

>>...but what about if/when i come across something that isnt in the repo? i

Portage overlays via layman
They are just like AUR or PPAs for gentoo.

If something is not in portage or in the many overlay then you can always compile it yourself.

A friend of mine, fond of the latest Linux fashion, configured his terminal emulator to launch tmux on start. One day, he asked me, "Why don't you, too, use tmux?" I explained to him, "That's what my window manager is for," and then he was enlightened.

Is there some secret method of figuring out the dev package names for things? I keep running into dependency hell but I always have to search google for 30 minutes before I find the name of the damned package

How do you get your termina to look like that? Some kind of plugin?

right, but on the off chance there isnt an overlay with it and i have to compile it myself, is there any way to have that installed and managed by portage too? like debian does with checkinstall, which i believe makes a local package with dpkg then installs it with apt

i realise now that this is probably a rarer scenario than on debian but if i do run into it i want the software to be managed by portage rather than having to make install then keep track of makefiles so i can make uninstall

i3 is bloat. try dwm and never rice again

I becoming retarded because outside of school there is nothing to make me learn stuff. I'm switching to linux so i can get some mental cross-fit. In most cases it's similar to windows. I just have have to look for the one program I'm contend with. There is not much to look for anyway. 3 things- audio, video player and web browser.
And there is all this stuff about windows being botnet and cia niggers.

i'd unfriend you immediately. you wm munchkins are so fucking annoying

What's the best way to check total disk usage? I can't get baobab to run as sudo and nautilus is telling me I only have about 25GB free, which sounds impossible since this is a 120GB SSD on a fresh install

df -HBM

Hey guys,brainlet noob here. I installed Ubuntu, when I want to play some mp3 files they get opened with the Videos app even though I have Rhythmbox as my default app for music files. It's not a big deal because I can play them if I open the app and add my songs to it, but my ocd wants to fix that problem with the Videos thing.

Do any of you have any ideas of how can I fix this?

>unfriend
Life isn't facebook, user.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLPPPPP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

say it ain't so user
unfriending is a concept that has been around for longer than fb

right click on file-properties
In the properties box you can usually set the default application.
Alternatively enter "ubuntu how to change default file associations" to any search engine.

try right clicking the file and going to open with, a dialogue should open which should have a set default button or checkbox, depending on the DE you use

sometimes a program's file associations will override your default setting so you might have to do this for your other music file formats as well

Holy shit, what a dumb fuck I am. Than you very much, my dudes, the problem is solved.

1) All video is playing back at a whopping 4fps. It wasn't doing this earlier, but I rebooted and now it is. Youtube, MPV, all of it.

2) How the fucking shitfuck do I get sound to work? This was ALSO working before I rebooted

ubuntu by any chance?

Debian, so ubuntu fixes should work fine

first try
update-initramfs -u -k `uname -r`
update-grub2

then reboot. note that those are ` and not '

if doesn't work, reboot using your previous kernel from grub. If that works, your current kernel version is fucked.

hello everyone it is me again
i still cant install debian side by side with windows 8.1
i've tried changing the windows time to UTC, but once I click on Debian in GRUB I get Network Time Sync infinitely.
i will not install gentoo

start debian in maintenance mode and uninstall or disable ntp.
Cannot get stalled by ntp if you don't have ntp.

derp. I was fucking around with enabling iommu (why i rebooted), everything went fucky, so I changed the grub file and restarted without running update.
Updating it fixed it.

Does that mean I'm fucked as far as enabling GPU passthrough goes? I'm using intel IGP for linux and was hoping to pass my GTX680 to a windows vm

I can't even boot into Debian. I can't enter anything in the console either, there is no console. It's just a console-like black picture reading out how ntp failed repeatedly.
Also, starting Debian in maintenance or whatever the "safe mode" equivalent is just gets my a black screen on all my monitors, except the monitors plugged into my IGPU flash almost like static or a bad monitor overclock-like lines.

Did you try booting into bash?

Then try this
1. in grub select your default debian line. press E to edit it
2. in editing mode find the line starting with "linux"
3. add "single" to the end of the file

This supposedly enters into single user maintenance mode while it still loads GPU drivers and shit.
The debian media you used to install can be used to start a rescue console, you can use that too.

No?
Doing this right now

Can someone recommend a distro which supports my chipset?
Intel Atom Z3735G

You'll be suffering with most OS

I need a libvirt wizard. I want to passthrough an optical disk drive but the solutions I found online won’t work because virsh edit tells me “fuck you, fix your shit” for the xml edits and doing a passthrough for the entire SATA controller is just pants on head retarded. Please tell me how I can make this work.

Hi /fglt/, I'm gonna need your help because I'm dumb as fuck.

So I want to install Manjaro on my rig and I have two free partitions, one of 30GB on the same disk as Windows and another one of 150GB on another SSD.
What I want know if it's dumb shit to do to install root on the 30GB partition and then install /home on the 150GB partition. And I won't need any swap since I have 16 gigs of RAM.
Thanks for the help.

You're better off putting everything linux on the other SSD and chaining GRUB to the windows boot manager. MS has a reputation of fucking up the /boot partition because it doesn't like sharing.

Nope

Doesn't the GUI work?

See, I could do that but I really need it to be passthrough. It shows up as a QEMU drive with that method and doesn’t work the way I need it to.

I just did rescue mode
>execute shell in /dev/
Or
>shell in installer enviroment

Another small point for zsh and some other alternative shells over bash: builtin support for floating-point numbers/math.

Maybe I'm too used to bash but using your shell for math feels like a mis-feature.

What do you mean the kernal cmd line?

only macfags unironically use zed shell

>unironically use zed shell
Why would anyone IRONICALLY use a shell?

Tell me more about that fuzzy completion in bash.
Oh wait you cant tell me because its fucking garbage

>Use wayland
>Audio and bluetooth work
>Use X
>Audio and bluetooth don't work
???

X is shit

OK I fucking got one more step
I'm in bash
Ntpdate returns command not found
Date itself returns sun Jan 14 11:06:53 even tho its 16

Yeah but no good window managers use it

Literally every good wm uses x.
All the ones on wayland are shit and featureless cause wayland is shit and behind in the times compared to x

Err, that's what I meant. I meant no good window managers use *wayland*.

How do you remove the drop shadow from the panels in Cinnamon? I

is it ok to install debian testing on an ssd or will the constant updates writing to disk reduce the lifespan of the ssd?

# hwclock --systohc
I did that as the arch wiki says but I got
>read only file system
>parameters not updated

SSD read/write lifespans haven't been a concern for like 5 years

>read only file system
mount -o remount,rw /

I have Debian Unstable on an SSD and it's no problem here. The SSD is doing fine.

Its just giving my a list of operations

You didnt fucking type it right
Just go back to windows

I thought of a terminal WM the other day, didn’t know GNU screen and Tmux exist.

If someone added a permanent statusbar at the bottom/top you could run a completely Xorg/Wayland free system. The autistic side of me loves the idea.

Thoughts?

Thanks motherfucker I just did it

Just use the recovery mode of the debian installer.

But I did systohc and the time is the same

i have an intel m.2 ssd that ive been using for about 2 years with windows 7 and it has 20 bad sectors on it, is that normal? currently using stable on it because i was worried about that but if its no big deal ill probally just go to testing

I'm not giving up now