My dotfiles are a fucking mess. How do you organize your home folder Sup Forums?

My dotfiles are a fucking mess. How do you organize your home folder Sup Forums?

>inb4 macOS folders kek

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XDG_Base_Directory_support
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>compile program from source
>change path where config files are stored

mine is something like that too, can't be helped if some programs decide to dump their shit there and not in .config or whatever.

GNU Stow

alias ls='ls --color=auto --group-directories-first'
alias l.='ls -d .*'

At least shit will be easier to look at.

All those files have to be somewhere, and most software that uses dotfiles expects them in your home dir. Either do what said or take the -a out of your 'ls' alias and ignore it. There's no "organizing" to be done.

I organize them in a git repo, and symlink where they need to go with a script.

it usually goes that way after a while, not like it matters though since you just type the name of the file you want to access

That gains you only the versioning provided by git. Now your homedir is full of symlinks.

Put the few I care about into source and occasionally check them in, that's all.

Yeah, but you can organize them however you like in the repo and edit them there, rather than squinting at a massive list.

docky dotty

Makes sense, would be nice to have only Python stuff all in one folder, i.e. Jupyter and matplotlib. Same with vim.

Windows NT doesn't have this problem.

I put as much as I can into ~/.config/

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XDG_Base_Directory_support

I use a .pam_environment file. most things I can get into their correct folders but for stuff like steam I use firejail to contain it in ~/Steam. I've gotten most stuff, there's a few asshole files like .ssh .pki because they refuse to adhere to the xdg spec, I could probably firejail those too

You can do this
Look at Gnu Stow, lightweight perl program that does symlinking.
I use it for my dotfiles (mine are a fucking mess but this helps a lot) desu

>.vimrc
>.emacs.d

nigga pwease

Emacs is somehow a dependency for another package. I hate it

rm -rf /
Found your solution

>mac
Found your problem.