Hey guys, what's going on?

Hey guys, what's going on?
I heard those pesky hardware vulnerabilities are bothering you.

Nice try m8

What vulnerabilities?

>conflates the lack of cpu-specific microcode updates and any mention in tech news of c2d with any chance of its being secure
hey cumlick, maybe c2d is as fucked as the rest of them but it's so old no one is even bothering to fix it, making you even worse off than someone who has an i3/i5/i7. not that you'd be smart enough to tell

I have this processor. It is on this fucking computer I am running right now. This piece of shit, along with a Nvidia 9800 is currently so slow that I can not watch 720p video.

Fuck anyone that brags about these old ass parts.

Literally me.

What are you talking about?
core 2 duo can run 1080p video fine.

>fell for the 720p meme

suicide watch.

>People still defend Bulldozer chips
That entire chip is a vulnerability.

Are Core2 machines not vulnerable to Spectre and Meltdown? I thought they were, and that they just aren't getting a fix.

My P8600 in my Libreboot T400 works fine for 1080p video. I mean the fan spins up and little and it gets a tab bit warm but it works. I apply Arctic Silver 5 paste once a year and clean out the fans at the same time (I have a dog), and I'm also running 64-bit Fedora with XFCE on it. 6GB of RAM and an SSD. It works great for all of my day to day tasks, and I only see shit performance when I try to multitask too hard, like opening more than 40 Firefox tabs or running 4-5+ intensive programs at once. If you're only doing a couple of things at a time, Core2 machines are perfectly capable.

>Are Core2 machines not vulnerable to Spectre and Meltdown? I thought they were, and that they just aren't getting a fix.
They're vulnerable to both

C2D laptop doing everything just fine here. High def videos, light gaming, etc...

>They're vulnerable to both
Well, good to know. I figured as much. I'm gonna shoot an email to the Libreboot tranny and see if they plan on fixing this stuff in future updates.

i run a mediacenter off a stock e8400 with integrated graphics of a 30$ Asrock mobo. Streams 1080p flawlessly, while acting as a headless torrent/nas server in the background.

C2D and a GTX 650ti here, can watch 1080p 60fps video fine. You fucktards just dont take care of your PC's.

Wont be updatung, either. I see through your schemes, shittel.

literally every incel chip since the bentium bro is vulnerable, with the exception of older atoms, which also lack OOO/speculative execution.

Lmao you're fucking doing it wrong then, I have a fucking Atom N570/Nvidia Ion 2 Netbook running Windows 7 and can play 1080p video with no frame loss

>fucking retard can't into computers. git gud

but thats not an atom.

It's actually intard that aren't going to bother supporting such old products. If intel weren't such a sack of shit company, they'd do the decent thing and offer at least a bit of cashback to those upgrading to a new intel part, at least the the value of how much cheaper a better performing amd part is.

It's pretty hard to fathom that a simple hardware vulnerability that goes back 20 years has rendered literally billions of devices into, for all intents and purposes, unsecure silicon garbage.

That won't even work because going forward, I'm done with Intel. But there's no good reason to throw away all of my existing Intel hardware, when the Libreboot faggots could probably work on reverse engineering the patches and hardware to somehow make a free software equivalent. Also Intel should have released open source patches for every single affected CPU. I'm sure they have extras of all their legacy hardware in a drawer somewhere, and all of the docs and schematics in the back room servers.

Hahaha, fat chance Intfail will ever do that, keep dreaming freetard.

the update has nothing to do with the bios or libreboot. its just one way of loading the proprietary microcode and trannyboot would never distribute proprietary blobs

>patch your OS
>enjoy your new Celeron 430

oddly I'm not finding anything that says the Core 2 series is affected

That used to play all my moeshit 10bit anime just fine in 2012 it should be able to handle it today too.

Wasn't Core2 called a buggy piece of shit by the OpenBSD devs ages ago?

>Meltdown is currently thought to primarily affect Intel processors manufactured since 1995, excluding the company’s Itanium server chips and Atom processors before 2013.

Bulldozer isn't sandy bridge, but isn't the end of world tough.

It's almost as if you guys didn't read my post. I know that you can use the CPU microcode from the OS level loading it there, but it's better to have it in the BIOS so that it's loaded at boot time and it's there forever. It would be nice if a free software alternative would be made, or the tranny at least would give you an option to integrate that non-free software. From the looks of it, Intel isn't even putting out blobs for the Core2 stuff so the only realistic solution is the FOSS alternative microcode.

That's not very specific. It would be nice if someone would make a retard-proof list that tells you whether or not your specific CPU is vulnerable, or if it's untested, and people could test it with some kind of tool and check.

Im not thrilled

what? you mean spectre and the other one?
i got the patches for them last week

Yes.

have a core2duo from 2008 that works fine for everything but gthumb. fuck that piece of shit. everytime i try to crop or edit an image it becomes unresposnsive and i have to reboot.