Downgrading from LG G2 to Nokia N900

So yeah, I am about to sell my Lg G2 and buy Nokia N900 instead (61$ US). Does Sup Forums think it's a good idea? For me the most important part in n900 is the ability to run arch/debian/cali/ubuntu/other distros and the neat keyboard. Besides, I'll have spare money from selling g2.

Other urls found in this thread:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gnuroot.debian&hl=en
youtube.com/watch?v=so4M3CGZ1Us
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Enjoy barely being able to do email.

256mb of ram is more than enough for most cli usecases.

Install Debian on your G2.
Or run your cli shit staright from Android.

You can't install linux distro on regular Android phone. You just simple can't

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gnuroot.debian&hl=en

>Using third-party apps instead of installing pure distro on the kernel level on n900

If you are not going to browse the web or use Uber or play games or anything, why even get a smartphone? Just get a regular phone and use a laptop and one of these for your meme needs.

/thread

I'm going to browse net on n900, using whether w3m/links, or regular icecat/firefox.
>using botnet Uber in the first place
No, I don't play games at all. That I need is a phone from which I can call people, and having terminal at the same time. I mostly use cli-tools anyway.

> no 1900mhz

enjoy your 15kb/s

why not? couldn't you do clfs with android kernel at least?

>1900mhz
it has 1900, read wikipedia page

I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing. I'm waiting however for a handheld sized computer I've bought to do more complex tasks on when I'm on the go. The N900 will mostly just do sms and calls for me. However when I did have it last time it was amazing at many more things, feelt like using a Debian based distro. I never tried Arch or any other distros on it, always stuck with Meamo, worked great.

I miss my N900 but no LTE is suffering.

Stop needing to install Linux distros on your phone. You aren't impressing anyone.

>You aren't impressing anyone.
Why would I need to imprese anyone ? Your post is shit, and the picture is even worse. Please leave this tread and stop spreading cancer.

Just get a normal phone and use apps like a normal person.

Forget about it. I had the same phone 3 years ago, and is not a phone made to run custom distros.
It runs maemo, and there isn't another distro for this phone. If you want to run arch, you must run it virtualized, the same way as any android phone. You will lack almost every app and capabilities that any smartphone provides. No WhatsApp, Facebook, YouTube, and you will be able to browse 30% of the websites. There's no support, and after all, is the same as having a raspberry with a screen and a keyboard.
Just forget about it.
If anything brokes, you will be forced to buy another n900 and change the broken parts. The USB Jack is shit, no Spotify. No games.
Yeah, sure, having a console looks great but that's all. The biggest feature of this phone is the hability to hack wep and wps networks with injection drivers, but again, is just a stupid idea to leave a perfect smartphone for this outdated shit.
I have 2 n900, and I used them for 3 years because I hated android, but now that i changed my mind simply because there's so much you can do with android. Forget about it. Buy it if you want to have a side phone

This shit is the obvious bait, I'm stopping to respond to your post from now on. Goodbye.

hows that ram amount working with modern programs like a web browser?

Having owned three N900, you are seriously overestimating the capability of this device. The third one I bought as supposed to be a backup of a backup (because my first N900 was starting to have issues) however the third one ended up being in worse condition (no WiFi working, so good luck installing anything)
My first point is that I'll be tough to find a good N900 in good condition.

And even if it's in good condition, Maemo repositories are dead so you won't be open to sudo apt-get install anything, important links to install manually are probably dead in the dying forum, Skype no longer works, browser unusable, overclocking is necessary to make any apps not take 10 seconds to open. If you go the Debian Chroot way it'll be okay but 256MB is not gonna cut it

It was a great device at the time. MyPaint is still fantastic on it, but its just too slow and lacks support to be able to do anything with it these days

Glad to see someone else had the same though and experience as I was typing this. I even forgot about the horrible USB issues

>and there isn't another distro for this phone
bullshit. You can run a variety of distros via U-Boot.
> No WhatsApp, Facebook, YouTube
Don't need those botnets anyway.
>no Spotify. No games.
same, don't need those.
-----
I just realized that I barely use my g2 for anything. I might read some news, post on imageboard through browser, listen to podcasts or music album, google something or read some article. Those things can be done easily through command line apps (well, except web browser, but it's not a problem because palemoon works just fine with 256ram)

Here you go
youtube.com/watch?v=so4M3CGZ1Us

That video is from 2010 when the web browser where modern by that standard. There's lots you can do with an N900 even today, I think people have even mirrored the repos so you can still download new software from the mirrors. But you won't be able to browse most modern webpages with any kind of acceptable speeds.

Now post the same but in the year 2010 +8

Ok, go for it. Archlinux barely boots, forget about sms and calls.
In a few months you will be saying "that motherfucker was right". Buy it as a pocket PC, not as your personal phone

Is there an equivalent to the N900 with modern specs that runs Android?

I like the concept of the N900, but the display is too small, the specs are fit for 2009, and Maemo hasn't been updated since 2011 which means it's dead in the water.

dammit, why do you even consider the maemo, when there are much much more distros which you can run on this phone? Check postmarketOS for example

This. The n900 is very slow.

Maybe, but even so, there's only so much you do on a smartphone in 2018 with only 256 MB RAM and a single-core 600 MHz CPU.

Could you tell me about those things that require such CPU power? I am assuming it's games, videos, and bigass web-pages?

You talk like a redditor.

From the website of postmarketOS:
"The project is at very early stages of development and is not usable for most users yet."

And you talk like a 4channer. So what?

literally everything besides installing gentoo

>ITT people who have owned an N900 and knows best to steer clear from it in 2018 from experience Vs someone who researched about it and thinks it will work fine because it has a keyboard and runs Linux

You "could" make it work (barely) but tweaking it to make it do what you want it to will be a huge headache, but if you're a neet you probably have all the time to tinker this shit

I have a Moto G from 2013 running Lollipop with a quad-core processor and 1GB RAM and even that feels very sluggish. The system apps take up a lot of RAM and shortly after startup the OS has to send data to swap to free up memory.

>The system apps take up a lot of RAM
Have you considered that it's because you use goddamn Android? n900 has debian on it

Isn't Debian a desktop OS? How does something like that work on a handheld screen?

N900 has Maemo on it which has system apps that takes up a lot of ram, Pure Debian via uboot is unstable

Just fucking buy it already since you made up your mind, and regret later on. Pyra pandora or GDP Pocket is more acceptable these days is you remove phone functionality (not that that would work well these days anyway)

Are there any relatively modern android/linux phones that have a slide out keyboard like the n900? Sup Forums loved to shill the pocket computing meme but is anyone seriously going to pull out that shit in public?

Are you ever tried the n900? You can't have the browser and music player opened at the same time.
Look, if you want to buy it, just doit. You came here for suggestions, and all you are going to do is defending your position, then why bother. We have been using the phone for years, we know how it works and if is worth, and is not!

The truly sad thing is op sounds like a poorfag teenager who will not be able to afford a new phone if he goes through with this, so he'll be stuck with N900 for a couple of years.

how hard would it be to solder a bigger ram chip in this thing? low ram is the only very bad thing that i can think of

U w0t m8?

Do it and post pics

Google Neo900 and realise it took them 10 years to upgrade the n900, and they managed to make 0 phones

Lol go ahead and also solder three extra CPU, a non broken usb, a eMMC storage that isn't slow, a decent screen, a bigger battery than will last more than 2 hours, updated phone antennas and maybe you'll have something plausible

>He doesn't solder extra rams on his phone

>how hard would it be to solder a bigger ram chip in this thing?
on a scale of 1 to 10? 137 you plan to make it fit back in its case

>Pyra pandora or GDP Pocket is more acceptable
Is that a fucking joke? The meme gdp costs 469$ fucking dollars, while I can get nearly new n900 for 61$. And Pyra Pandora is impossible to buy anywhere.

This confirms

>How does something like that work on a handheld screen?
I wonder if this is the absolute current state of Sup Forums. Just fucking google it, you piece of lazy fuck , it's very useful on touchscreen.

Nice doubles

I am indeed poorfag, but not teenager (18 lvl). And I were already thinking about stop using smartphone at all. I mean it's a literal tracking botnet for the price of 3-4 thinkpads.

No one cares about you and your data

shit, this place is like fucking facebook already. It's all about fucking freedom to do my computations the way I want, it's not about the value of my personal information.

Planet Gemini PDA

>Planet Gemini PDA
>400$

Meme gpd actually works is what you fail to realize

Like I said I bought 3 N900 when it's availability was getting scarce, and I highly doubt this "nearly new" N900 will be problem free. If you're poor than get a RPI and buy parts to make it mobile. The RPI is excellent in comparison

But again, just fucking buy it if you've already made up your mind, I used to be a poorfag too and every device counts, I just know that an N900 wouldn't be my choice today

>if you've already made up your mind
nope friend, i didn't made up my mind at all. I just try to calculate if I'd be able to build handled terminal (shitty name, but whatever) with the cost of n900 (i.e 60-80$). And I also lack any 3d printing machine, so I'll have to pay extra shekels for the printed case. But you do raise a good point about getting RPI3 instead. Besides having better gnu/linux support, I can use it to all kinds of things + it's modular af, so I don't need to worry about adding extra stuff to it.