>non-retarded desktop, got out of your way and had globally accessible menus
>themable

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=92NNyd3m79I
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/true.c
github.com/pete/cats/blob/master/gnu-cat.c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

GNU is better than "real unix"

This. OP doesn't understand computers beyond the GUI.

retards who dont understand most next boxes were headless

I know most fag/g/ots won't bother since it's over two hours long, but if you really want to see history being made, and see just how far ahead NeXT was in the late 80s and how well it charted the course for the computing industry in the 90s, check this out:

youtube.com/watch?v=92NNyd3m79I

OP forgot to add
>so good that even with apple doing their best to fuck it up for the last 20 years they haven't managed to completely get rid of its good ideas

Oh, it was excellent in the 80s and 90s. But today it's garbage.

AESTHETIC

90s GUI in general looks great. Simple and clean.

Do you also complain about not being able to play HD videos and browser modern websites on your Windows 3.1 beige box?

Hardware and software are only good for a limited period of time before they are either succeeded by newer versions, or something else altogether. They don't exist in a vacuum.

I still run GNUStep and Windowmaker to get it. With a bit of theming it looks modern AND functions better than Gnome shit or KDE shit or XFCE shit

Looks like we got a soyboy here. Go run along back to your soyware

This was true until systems took over sane enterprise distros.

systemd*

Anyone else here ever actually used NeXT stations, besides me?

My alma mater had them when I was a late undergrad/grad student in the early to mid '90s.

They looked real good. But anything important or related to assignments was still needed to be done from the command line. They really were ahead of their time. They would have been more useful today, in the more GUI-centric era.

I actually used to own both a cube and a color slab about 15 years ago in undergrad, but got rid of them.

Still own two BeBoxes though, which I assumed (wrongly I think) would have more value in the long run.

Little did I know Steve J would turn into a cult figure then off himself by trying to treat pancreatic cancer with homoepathic enemas or whatever.

Yep. I have a NeXT cube that ran my first website back in the 90s

I wish NeXT was still around

if by "better" you mean more bloated with shittier code, then yes, GNU is """better"""

I worked with an engineer who told me these were hugely productive in work, and that multiple guys would work off of one system. Whether it was NeXT or just Unix, tbd. Either way same principal applies.

>GNU is better than "real unix"

What brand of crack are you smoking?

Linux and GNU crap will always be minor league shit compared to commercial enterprise level Unix systems.

git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/true.c

I've run it on x86 and have a couple PA-7000 workstations I'm planning to stick NeXTSTEP on, no black hardware though. I'd really love to put together a mono slab kit some day.

the NeXT UI is extremely slick, but kind of naff in places (the menu window is still awful and takes none of the advantages of having a global top-bar menu such as being able to slam your mouse straight up to it and land in the right spot, with all of the disadvantages; the file browser's column layout has always kinda sucked, etc)

>Linux and GNU crap will always be minor league shit compared to commercial enterprise level Unix systems.
pretty much all of the Unix vendors folded because of Linux like 20 years ago
really, apart from macOS with it's official Unix certification, no commercial Unix has anything but negligible marketshare next to Linux in any market, and macOS only beats it in terms of desktop use

not sure if it's actually better
but I'll be damned if I don't find myself kinda annoyed in environments without GNU tools because I end up actually using a bunch of GNU extensions

surprised you didn't post GNU's cat
github.com/pete/cats/blob/master/gnu-cat.c

Window Maker is still amazing. Loads of features, very friendly to use, but it's still lean on memory and quick.

>Was there ever a more perfect computer
Never had on OP, so yes, no , maybe?
>real unix, not GNU fag shit
Mach Kernel = Open Source from Carnegie Mellon plus BSD code

>pretty much all of the Unix vendors folded because of Linux like 20 years ago
not 20 years ago and lot more factors than linux

Oh yeah the menu window violates fitts law to hell, but was still elegant.

It was used to develop doom and the world wide web standard so it does have relevance.

Yeah, maybe Steve Jobs returning to Apple was a mistake. NeXT and Pixar were created during this period by him. You kinda wonder what computing would have looked like today if NeXT was never bought by Apple.

>But today it's garbage.
like GNU?

NeXT would have become yet another victim of the Wintel duopoly in a year or two and ultimately forgotten, had Apple not bought it out.

In fact, Apple's acquisition of NeXT was the single best thing to happen to both companies. It was the conclusion of Steve Jobs's odyssey, and he brought a shitload of amazing technology and engineering with him to define the future of desktop computing as well as the birth of true mobile computing.

Apple without Steve Jobs would have been similarly crushed by Wintel in a few years, even with a Be acquisition.

>he brought a shitload of amazing technology and engineering with him to define the future of desktop computing as well as the birth of true mobile computing.

truth

So why didn't Jobs continue NeXT's legacy at Apple? Ever since Jobs came back at Apple, they focused less and less on desktop computing, or so it seems to me.

N E x T s t a t i o n

>So why didn't Jobs continue NeXT's legacy at Apple?
But he did, everything that made NeXTSTEP great was incorporated into OS X.

>Ever since Jobs came back at Apple, they focused less and less on desktop computing, or so it seems to me.
Well, yes. If it hadn't been for the iPod (and later the iPhone), Apple would most likely not have survived into the 21st century.

Then why does Sup Forums hate OS X with a passion? Is it just Apple hate? Last month was the first time I switched to Mac and it's great.

>Then why does Sup Forums hate OS X with a passion?
Sup Forums is pants on head retarded and 90% consumerist whores.

>Is it just Apple hate?
Mostly, yes. Look at many of the complaints, it's mostly about UI stuff like "hurr durr windows does this differently therefore macOS sucks"

>Last month was the first time I switched to Mac and it's great.
I've been using it for 2 years now, and I'm in love with my system. It's basically a UNIX with an actual working desktop environment, a UNIX for the masses if you will.

I've completely stopped using Linux for day to day stuff and only use it for work now.

>bloated
it has more features, so it's not really bloat
>shittier code
at least post OpenBSD or something

>You kinda wonder what computing would have looked like today if NeXT was never bought by Apple.
the same, because OSX was the lovechild of nextstep and os classic.

I just wish Apple would stop letting so many bugs in current macOS.

>Simple
>clean
Wtf are we looking at the same desktop, it's full of shit and doesn't look simple at all.

i just wish apple would have a proper developement of macos again, even in it's former core groups (design, graphics, publishing, media editing) it became completley irrelevant since apple managed to no release any kind of workstation desktop in years and their laptops became meme machines not worth the money anymore.

>real UNIX
that's not a compliment

Maybe the new Mac Pro will change things. I don't have high hopes, but we'll see.

i have no hopes anymore, the mac pro is basically abandonedware, mac min is abandonedware and macos is treated like a sideproduct of ios by now. i work in publishing since the early 2000s and back then EVERYTHING was macos 9/x. the peak was during the tiger period, xp was basically useless back then. it could not even handle pdf out of the box, font management and stability with heavy work loads (big projects in xpress/indesign or photoshop) were almost impossible.

years later apple gave not shit anymore, microsoft got their shit together and now every publishing house is running win7/10 machines with a random adobe suite on top of it because apple became too expansive for doing the same shit as a windows box. the trend started about 2010.

i'm kinda sad about this, i have really fond memories of my powermac/powerbook-setup. it never failed me once.

>Then why does Sup Forums hate OS X with a passion?
see:
>Sup Forums is pants on head retarded